Page 1 of 1

Rulevar meaning

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:17 pm
by magresh
I have been trying to make an amphibious landing and just found the rule in the manual. It says that I need rulevar 307 points. This word rulevar is throughout the manual and I don't find a definition or explanation on the forums or in the manual. I am really enjoying this game. Can someone help me out?

RE: Rulevar meaning

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:01 pm
by Grymme
Rulewar 307 specifies the minimum number of powerpoints needed to capture any hex. In some scenarios i have seen this set to 10 meaning that you cannot capture even an empty hex without 10 powerpoints in the unit.

RE: Rulevar meaning

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:12 pm
by magresh
Thanks for the answer. What is rulevar stand for? Are power points the number on the counter? All this may be in the manual, but I'm having a heck of time finding them. Still, great game!

RE: Rulevar meaning

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:37 pm
by Grymme
Rulevars are short for rule variations. The rules of the game. All rulewars are changable.

Powerpoints are an approximative strength of a SFT. For example a basic rifleman is 1PP, a light tank 20PP. It is listed somewhere in the basic statistics of SFTs. They are not the same as the number on the counter because this number is influenced by other factors such as readiness, morale, experience etc. Or at least i think so, have not consulted the manual.

RE: Rulevar meaning

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:12 pm
by Falkon1313
Because rules can vary drastically from scenario to scenario, all the numbers aren't in the manual. In the game, after clicking the statistics button, then the Rules tab, you'll find the values of the rulevars for your current scenario. 307 is in group 2.

Power points can also vary (the game has a pretty powerful/flexible editor), so the best way to find them is in the game, click the unit, then for each subunit, click it and check the Combat Stats (PP is 4th from the bottom on the left). The number is per qty, so 30 Rifles @ 1 PP each = 30 PP; 2 Medium Tanks at 30 PP each = 60 PP. At least, that's how I understand it, but I'm pretty new to the game. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

RE: Rulevar meaning

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:31 pm
by magresh
Thank you everyone. I feel I have a grasp on these issues now.