Page 1 of 1

Disappearing/invisible units icons

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2000 4:52 pm
by Warhorse
Starting a new thread, and hopefully will generate some responce. I've noticed thru reading alot of these posts, from time to time there are issues of destroyed units disappearing,and or units just disappearing during PBEM games, although the info when passing the cursor over will say it's there. If when this happens, would you be kind enough to try and notice which ones in particular they are, and what theatre? For instance, during a British/German desert scenario, 3 times now, when a 2 pdr portee, or Honey are destroyed, they just disppear, the burning wreckis there, and the cursor says it's there, but it is not! Also during a Winter scenario I designed, but haven't released yet, Hungarian Turan I's will do the same thing. So, if possible, (1)what unit,(2)what type of map, ie Winter, Desert, etc.,(3)what size map in hexes. Thanks for any participation, we can't fix it if we can't tell what it is??!!


------------------
Mike Amos
Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2000 7:36 pm
by Paul Vebber
What happening, I think, is that the icon replacement for "dead vehicle" is not happening for some reason in some cases. SOmetimes you see nothing, sometimes a mysterious smoke floating in the hex.

If this is involves dead things, it is annoying at times, but simply a graphical display fault.

THe one that worries me is the reports of seeming "good order" units "going a way". What I think is happening here is teh units are destroyed, but do to a similar graphics bug, the VCR replay isn't showing them.

If the two are indeed related it should be traceable to specific units and icon numbers.

Any info in that area would help us fix the problem:-)

Until then, consider it the fortunes of war - how many times did units just sort of vanish with no explaination? <BEG>

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2000 12:47 pm
by JR
Originally posted by Paul Vebber:
What happening, I think, is that the icon replacement for "dead vehicle" is not happening for some reason in some cases. SOmetimes you see nothing, sometimes a mysterious smoke floating in the hex.

If this is involves dead things, it is annoying at times, but simply a graphical display fault.

THe one that worries me is the reports of seeming "good order" units "going a way". What I think is happening here is teh units are destroyed, but do to a similar graphics bug, the VCR replay isn't showing them.

If the two are indeed related it should be traceable to specific units and icon numbers.

Any info in that area would help us fix the problem:-)

Until then, consider it the fortunes of war - how many times did units just sort of vanish with no explaination? <BEG>
I have not studied the problem, but I doubt this one. I have a game where a lot of trucks have disapeard, and I do not think that the enemy has fired on all of them.

I think that I have got a game save I can mail you if that is of any help.

JR

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2000 2:12 pm
by McGib
Only time I have seen(?) icons disappear is when a vehicle is destroyed in a hex where there is already a destroyed vehicle icon.

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2000 2:35 pm
by JR
Originally posted by McGib:
Only time I have seen(?) icons disappear is when a vehicle is destroyed in a hex where there is already a destroyed vehicle icon.
I think that happend in my case to, but a lot of other trucks disapeared at the same time, so I did not connect.

JR


Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2000 5:05 pm
by Warhorse
Originally posted by JR:
I think that happend in my case to, but a lot of other trucks disapeared at the same time, so I did not connect.

JR
Please send the save file, if you would;-)
mikea@matrixgames.com


------------------
Mike Amos
Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2000 5:05 pm
by Warhorse
Originally posted by JR:
I think that happend in my case to, but a lot of other trucks disapeared at the same time, so I did not connect.

JR
Please send the save file, if you would;-)
mikea@matrixgames.com


------------------
Mike Amos
Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2000 5:06 pm
by Warhorse
Originally posted by JR:
I think that happend in my case to, but a lot of other trucks disapeared at the same time, so I did not connect.

JR
Please send the save file, if you would;-)
mikea@matrixgames.com


------------------
Mike Amos
Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2000 5:42 pm
by renwor
also, abandoned units are disappearing, if they are not in LOS when abandoned. So after succesfull arty fire field is full of running crews, but nobody can figure crews of what they are!!! happens all the time.

Renwor

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2000 6:12 pm
by Seth
I haven't seen the disappearing active unit problem, but there are a lot of vehicles that turn to smoke when destroyed. As for the unit disappearing when there's already a wreck, I think the new wreck 'snaps' to the same angle as the first one, and so disappears under it.

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2000 6:26 pm
by Warhorse
Originally posted by Seth:
I haven't seen the disappearing active unit problem, but there are a lot of vehicles that turn to smoke when destroyed. As for the unit disappearing when there's already a wreck, I think the new wreck 'snaps' to the same angle as the first one, and so disappears under it.
Seth, this counts too!! Forgot to specify that, this is what I meant, the smoke will be there, and it will say"xxx destroyed", but no icon, just fire!!


------------------
Mike Amos
Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2000 9:03 pm
by Seth
Well, by 'active' I meant 'alive'. It seems that some peoples' perfectly good squads are being taken up into the mothership when no-one's looking Image The disappearing wreck syndrome seems to be much more of a problem with soft vehicles, but I have no idea why.