New player questions
Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:20 am
Hi,
Having finally purchased WITE and played through the first 5 turns of "Road to Leningrad" following the excellent "Operational Boot Camp" tutorial and actually completing the scenario I have a reasonable understanding of the mechanics; however, given the scale of the game I have a few initial questions that I am having some difficulty locating answers for in the manual:
1-In the scenario I am given the single FBD unit to control for repairing rail lines of my choice. It works fine for the first time I use it but after the initial repairs it runs out of supplies and for the life of me cannot figure out how to get it resupplied so it can keep doing its job.
2-While I had no issue with punching through Soviet lines and forming pockets (including breaking down exploitation units to regiments to assist in encirclement) I am sort of unsure of the mechanics where routed units manage to slip the net. Also along the lines of routed units I noticed that in some cases towards the late stages of the scenario these routed units would run west as opposed to east forcing me to do some additional micromanagement of the rear areas. Ditto airfields that when encountered at the eastern edge of the map would displace west to my further annoyance [:'(].
3-I must have missed something with regard to holding cities. I noticed that upon completion of the scenario my score was calculated based solely on the number of units/men etc destroyed and no score for any of the objectives captured along the way. Is there a mechanic I missed for claiming a city/objective location? I did station either a security unit or freed-up combat unit in each location.
4-What is the recommended strategy for moving the HHQ's and air support forward? I did ok with this aspect but did frequently find myself with "out of range messages" when I needed air support.
Thanks for any clarification of the above. It was quite satisfying to "win" the scenario and it was not easy given the grind required up in Leningrad. I got there by turn 7 and cut the links to the east by turn 9 and it really took the rest of the turns just to clear the place out while chewing up a lot of my units (casualties were negligable to that poit then blammo...urban combat). When I try the grand campaign I imagine the dilemna faced with taking Leningrad while trying to assault Moscow turns into a nightmare!
Having finally purchased WITE and played through the first 5 turns of "Road to Leningrad" following the excellent "Operational Boot Camp" tutorial and actually completing the scenario I have a reasonable understanding of the mechanics; however, given the scale of the game I have a few initial questions that I am having some difficulty locating answers for in the manual:
1-In the scenario I am given the single FBD unit to control for repairing rail lines of my choice. It works fine for the first time I use it but after the initial repairs it runs out of supplies and for the life of me cannot figure out how to get it resupplied so it can keep doing its job.
2-While I had no issue with punching through Soviet lines and forming pockets (including breaking down exploitation units to regiments to assist in encirclement) I am sort of unsure of the mechanics where routed units manage to slip the net. Also along the lines of routed units I noticed that in some cases towards the late stages of the scenario these routed units would run west as opposed to east forcing me to do some additional micromanagement of the rear areas. Ditto airfields that when encountered at the eastern edge of the map would displace west to my further annoyance [:'(].
3-I must have missed something with regard to holding cities. I noticed that upon completion of the scenario my score was calculated based solely on the number of units/men etc destroyed and no score for any of the objectives captured along the way. Is there a mechanic I missed for claiming a city/objective location? I did station either a security unit or freed-up combat unit in each location.
4-What is the recommended strategy for moving the HHQ's and air support forward? I did ok with this aspect but did frequently find myself with "out of range messages" when I needed air support.
Thanks for any clarification of the above. It was quite satisfying to "win" the scenario and it was not easy given the grind required up in Leningrad. I got there by turn 7 and cut the links to the east by turn 9 and it really took the rest of the turns just to clear the place out while chewing up a lot of my units (casualties were negligable to that poit then blammo...urban combat). When I try the grand campaign I imagine the dilemna faced with taking Leningrad while trying to assault Moscow turns into a nightmare!