Page 1 of 2

A How-To for beginners

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:33 pm
by larryfulkerson
Hey You Guys:

I'm thinking the WITE game could maybe use somebody writing a sort of "watch over my shoulder as I play the Axis AI" kind of AAR for at least two reasons: (1) The Rank beginners could have some way of knowing which reports to look for what iinformation, how to move units in combat, etc. (2) I might be able to show off what I'm learning as a Soviet player. That's all I've played seriously for the last, well, almost a year now. And I'm learning a lot. And I thought there might be a few beginners out there who might appreciate something like this. I wish I had something like this when I was first attempting to move some units around.

Anyway, I've started writing some HTML documents in a sort of nit-pickey-detailed-AAR kind of way. The document is about 17 Meg big.

Click here to download the WITE Intro turn 1
Click here to download turn 1 part 2

Click here to download turn 2 part 1
Click here to download turn 2 part 2

Click here to download turn 3 part 1
Click here to download turn 3 part 2
Click here to download turn 3 part 3

Click here to download turn 4

Click here to download turn 5

Click here to download turn 6

Click here to download turn 7

Click here to download turn 8

Click here to download turn 9

Click here to download turn 10

RE: A How-To for beginners

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:29 pm
by Richard III
Larry

I follow your AAR`s and would appreciate that, although been playing on and off for a year, I`m still the Rankest of Beginners as far as the interface info details and what they mean as far as Army management for the Red Army.


Thanks !

RE: A How-To for beginners

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:48 am
by larryfulkerson
ORIGINAL: Richard III
Larry
I follow your AAR`s and would appreciate that....
Well, okie dokie then, I'll finish turn 1's document(s) and start turn 2, etc. I just wanted to know if anybody was interested since there's a considerable time sink involved.

RE: A How-To for beginners

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:15 am
by RedBunny
Larry, I'm in the same boat as Richard III and I too have been following your AARs. I'd really appreciate the type of tutorial you're describing.

Regarding your question about presenting this as downloads or as a regular AAR - do whatever's easier for you! I'll be watching and learning. Thanks.

RE: A How-To for beginners

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:09 am
by larryfulkerson
ORIGINAL: RedBunny
Larry, I'm in the same boat as Richard III and I too have been following your AARs. I'd really appreciate the type of tutorial you're describing.

Regarding your question about presenting this as downloads or as a regular AAR - do whatever's easier for you! I'll be watching and learning. Thanks.
Um......I can answer your questions faster if I do it in the AAR section as a dedicated AAR but the quality of the pictures is higher when I make it into something you can download. Decisions, decisions. Well, until I hear a groundswell of demand for it I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and save the AAR section for dedicated games. And save Matrix some disk space as a result. Look for part 2 of turn 1 in a post in about 12 hours or so. That's about what I spend on each one, roughly speaking.

EDIT: It's only been about 6 hours since I posted the original post on this bad boy and there's already been 11 downloads so I'm guessing that it's in demand and under request and the download method seems to work fine. Lemme know if there's somebody who just doesn't have the capacity or bandwidth or something and can't download something.

RE: A How-To for beginners

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:36 am
by Zovs
Do you mean something like:

tm.asp?m=2649216

RE: A How-To for beginners

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:31 pm
by larryfulkerson
ORIGINAL: dlazov66
Do you mean something like:

tm.asp?m=2649216
Yeah. We need more "bootcamps" from people. I enjoy reading them and I always learn something from them.

RE: A How-To for beginners

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:43 pm
by larryfulkerson
Turn 1 part 2 is ready.  There's not a lot for the Soviet player to do on turn 1 really.  There's more to the turns when there's more units to move.  Anyway, here's
part 2 of the documents:

Click here to download turn 1 part 2

RE: A How-To for beginners

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:20 pm
by Ketza
I am considering doing an "Axis war diary" with an upcoming Axis game with very extensive first move reporting that may be helpfull to new Axis players as well.

RE: A How-To for beginners

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:05 pm
by larryfulkerson
ORIGINAL: Ketza
I am considering doing an "Axis war diary" with an upcoming Axis game with very extensive first move reporting that may be helpfull to new Axis players as well.
Great !!! I'd love to read something like that. Let me be the first to encourage you. Go for it.

RE: A How-To for beginners

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:57 pm
by invernomuto
Thank you Larry, very useful for beginner!


RE: A How-To for beginners

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:29 am
by larryfulkerson
You're sure welcome my friend.  America sez Hi to Italy.  Um.....turn 2 part  1 is ready now.  You can find it here:

Click here to download turn 2 part 1
Click here to download turn 2 part 2


RE: A How-To for beginners

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:07 am
by larryfulkerson
Well.......it turns out there was a groundswell for this kind of thing.

Image

RE: A How-To for beginners

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:35 am
by olivier34
I am one of those guys how downloaded the first turn but not the 2nd one. Incredible job done but it seems that I am not anymore a beginner [:)]! But real beginners should jump on this amazing work !

RE: A How-To for beginners

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:28 pm
by larryfulkerson
Thanks Oliver34.  May I suggest the AAR called "Axis War Diary" by Ketza.  It's his "watch-over-my-shoulder" kind of AAR that I love.  

EDIT: I thought I'd add a link to get to Ketza's AAR:

Click here to open Axis War Diary.

RE: A How-To for beginners

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:00 pm
by larryfulkerson
Turn 3 part 1 is ready:

Click here to download turn 3 part 1

RE: A How-To for beginners

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:33 pm
by larryfulkerson
Turn 3 part 2 is ready :
Click here to download turn 3 part 2

RE: A How-To for beginners

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:12 pm
by larryfulkerson
Turn 3 part 3 is ready:

Click here to download turn 3 part 3

RE: A How-To for beginners

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:16 am
by larryfulkerson
Turn 4 is ready for download:

Click here to download turn 4

RE: A How-To for beginners

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:35 am
by larryfulkerson
Turn 5 is ready for download:

Click here to download turn 5