Page 1 of 1

Supply convoys

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:29 pm
by Ebusitanus
Hello all!
Have been looking at this beast with fear for months but have now managed, thanks to the excellent fan made tutorials here, to play the smaller scenarios.

What I have trouble with, now that I want to try out the big Allied campaign, is the convoy system and how to operate it the first turns. I have tried reading here and searching through most AAR all jump over this boring aspect as a "given".
I´m sure there must be some great thread somewhere I have not found yet to answer my doubts. What would your first steps be during your first campaign turn? How do you gather, sort and make all those big convoys. What are the basics here? Do I have to dump most of what I gather into Oz?

Sorry...very green here...but eagerly trying

RE: Supply convoys

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:06 pm
by Smeulders
Oz is self-sufficient in regards to supply, but not fuel as the industry will use a lot of it. The industry can be shut down though if you so choose. Pick a couple of islands you want to defend and put troops and a pile of supplies there. Keep the port limits in mind and make sure you have some sort of escort with your convoys. The escorts don't need to be good sub killers, as long as they prevent surface attacks.

RE: Supply convoys

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:32 pm
by Ebusitanus
Thanks for the answers [:)]
Are there some "standard" first turn procedures in regards to how many ships you gather to do your convoys? Main routes and quantities, how many intermediate areas, etc..

Darn..I´m certain this must be somewhere for sure to read up.

RE: Supply convoys

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:09 pm
by Smeulders
I'm sure someone did a good write-up already, but I wouldn't know where to find it. For me it'll depend from game to game, usually I start with a couple of quick convoys around Alaska (couple of xAKL with Canadian KV and AM) and, once I'm confident KB isn't interdicting the Western Seaboard the convoys to Pearl Harbour and the Southern Pacific begin. As said in my first post, the main consideration for the size of convoys is the port size. I'm not going to send 10 ships to a port where only 5 can unload simultaneously. Even for very big and safe ports my maximum is usually 10-15 ships in a convoy. As for gathering ship, I'll get everything in NZ/OZ/DEI that has a decent range paired up with some escorts and move them to the West Coast or Cape Town post haste.

RE: Supply convoys

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:36 pm
by DOCUP
ORIGINAL: Ebusitanus

Hello all!
Have been looking at this beast with fear for months but have now managed, thanks to the excellent fan made tutorials here, to play the smaller scenarios.

What I have trouble with, now that I want to try out the big Allied campaign, is the convoy system and how to operate it the first turns. I have tried reading here and searching through most AAR all jump over this boring aspect as a "given".
I´m sure there must be some great thread somewhere I have not found yet to answer my doubts. What would your first steps be during your first campaign turn? How do you gather, sort and make all those big convoys. What are the basics here? Do I have to dump most of what I gather into Oz?

Sorry...very green here...but eagerly trying

Welcome to AE Ebusitanus.

First of all I am new so take what I type with a grain of salt.

I get as much as possible to West Coat, Cape Town and Abden as soon as possible. Decide where you want your supply hubs at. I usually place xAKLs at these bases. AKLs are good for dropping off supplies and fuel to small bases. Also don't forget to build up theses bases ie Port, Air field and forts. These will increase the amount you can stockpile and decrease spoilage.

I usually leave some ships around Oz for transport to the bases around there. Account for subs and raiders to attack them also. Your longer leg AKs and such should be used to transport goods from the WC and CT to Oz and other destination. Also watch the speed of these ships clump the same speed ships together.

PH will need resources at one point so watch for this. Don't forget Pilot training either.

RE: Supply convoys

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:05 pm
by mikkey
Ebusitanus, some useful information you can find in Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies

RE: Supply convoys

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:04 pm
by Alfred
ORIGINAL: Ebusitanus

Hello all!
Have been looking at this beast with fear for months but have now managed, thanks to the excellent fan made tutorials here, to play the smaller scenarios.

What I have trouble with, now that I want to try out the big Allied campaign, is the convoy system and how to operate it the first turns. I have tried reading here and searching through most AAR all jump over this boring aspect as a "given".
I´m sure there must be some great thread somewhere I have not found yet to answer my doubts. What would your first steps be during your first campaign turn? How do you gather, sort and make all those big convoys. What are the basics here? Do I have to dump most of what I gather into Oz?

Sorry...very green here...but eagerly trying

There are several threads which touch on this subject. Try this one for an overview about convoy routes.

tm.asp?m=2941377&mpage=1&key=convoy%2Croutes&#2942792

Alfred