Ok, really irritating! Cloaking AA guns...
Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 5:26 pm
I was playing the Stalingrad campaign and in the first battle, just north and east of the town, across the gully, were two of Ivan's 37mm AA guns in fortified hexes. These guys must have been super elites, as they nailed about 10 AFVs/APCs a piece. I got so angry that I sent a stug and a IVg to squash them, as my arty didn't seem to be able to do anything to them, and long range fire only made them disappear.
I drove my IVg up the hill, and overran one of the hexes, only to find it empty...so I drove on past. The next turn, the AA gun fired at my tank, from the hex I was just in! I fired on the hex, and the gun disappeared again. I drove back to the hex, and parked on it--nothing in it (just the fortified sandbags or whatever they are--it was a clear hex otherwise, just grass). Then on Ivans turn, he suddenly assaults my tank and kills it, then proceeds to fire that damned 37mm AA like I have bullet magnets on my trucks...boom boom boom....
I finally had my Stug blast him to bits before he could vanish again with his borrowed cloaking device from another game...the Stug forced the other AA crew to flee and abandon their gun, after two full turns of point blank fire (and more vanishing)--the fleeing crew was cut to pieces by an 8-rad's 2cm guns, which I moved up to prevent any escape in the gully--I let out a shout of joy when it said "CREW DESTROYED!!"...my wife just looked at me like I was insane!
Those two units were biggest pain in the butt in the whole scenario--cost me dearly. Overall, the first battle was a draw, even though I had all but the four victory hexes on the south hill area, where those two platoons of T34s come roaring out of in the last couple of turns. Ivan just made it really costly for me--with these kinds of losses, I am screwed already...lol!
I just fell in love with my Engineers--those flamethrowers saved my game when I ran into those KV-2s entrenched in the town. Whoosh! BOOM! Mwhahaha!
So, is this common, the cloaking unit, or was this just a game bug? They were in fortified hexes in the open, that I could see just fine, the units themselves would vanish periodically--even when I was right there!
On to battle two...
I drove my IVg up the hill, and overran one of the hexes, only to find it empty...so I drove on past. The next turn, the AA gun fired at my tank, from the hex I was just in! I fired on the hex, and the gun disappeared again. I drove back to the hex, and parked on it--nothing in it (just the fortified sandbags or whatever they are--it was a clear hex otherwise, just grass). Then on Ivans turn, he suddenly assaults my tank and kills it, then proceeds to fire that damned 37mm AA like I have bullet magnets on my trucks...boom boom boom....
I finally had my Stug blast him to bits before he could vanish again with his borrowed cloaking device from another game...the Stug forced the other AA crew to flee and abandon their gun, after two full turns of point blank fire (and more vanishing)--the fleeing crew was cut to pieces by an 8-rad's 2cm guns, which I moved up to prevent any escape in the gully--I let out a shout of joy when it said "CREW DESTROYED!!"...my wife just looked at me like I was insane!
Those two units were biggest pain in the butt in the whole scenario--cost me dearly. Overall, the first battle was a draw, even though I had all but the four victory hexes on the south hill area, where those two platoons of T34s come roaring out of in the last couple of turns. Ivan just made it really costly for me--with these kinds of losses, I am screwed already...lol!
I just fell in love with my Engineers--those flamethrowers saved my game when I ran into those KV-2s entrenched in the town. Whoosh! BOOM! Mwhahaha!
So, is this common, the cloaking unit, or was this just a game bug? They were in fortified hexes in the open, that I could see just fine, the units themselves would vanish periodically--even when I was right there!
On to battle two...