Page 1 of 2
Berlin Map...Yes or No???
Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 8:47 pm
by Orzel Bialy
Ok, I too could have swore I saw a thread one time that someone was creating a map of Berlin. Question is....did it ever get made?
If so, does anyone have the link/thread? If not...should I take on the challenge and create it?
Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:10 pm
by Jim1954
I think it was m4jess. It was like a month ago or longer. Go ahead. Can't have too many maps, can we?
Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:30 pm
by Jim1954
here is a very old response from redleg about a circa 1944 Berlin map for sale
.
http://www.rzm.com/magazines/atb/atbmap.cfm
Have you used the search mode for the forums?
Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:36 pm
by Commander Klank
I say go for it, make it a large+ if you can.
One of downtown and one of the surounding areas leading into downtown.
I've seem several exellent sights on the Battle of Berlin that have detailed maps of the city. I don't recall thier adresses; I fund them one night surfing the internet for information on WW2 battles ie, "Battle of Berlin"
Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:51 pm
by Jim1954
Orzel, here's the link. It wasn't m4jess afterall.
showthread.php?s=&threadid=21592&highlight=berlin
Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 11:19 pm
by Commander Klank
Berlin Rough Draft
Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 5:49 am
by Orzel Bialy
Ok, this is where I am as of tonight.
It's pretty much a rough draft of the major streets and the Spree River. I threw in the ReichStag just to give some idea of scale.
Now I just have to add the railyard to the north...drop in a few more streets and go from there. Whew!
CO Klank, thanks for the map links...if anyone else knows of a few more please post them. I'd like to get it as realistic as possible, so any and all info would be appreciated.
Oh yeah, I have almost finished the Ardennes map for our battle CO Klank....about 80% done.
Then I also have another map ready to post on the "maps" thread titled "Villages". It's a bit more tank country than my last couple....with four small villages to fight over.
Please note that this is "preview" of Berlin is saved under map slot #10...which is the same slot Jess used for his Washington DC map. ( I changed his when I downloaded it ) So be sure to move or copy any current #10 maps before you download this.
Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 6:55 am
by Commander Klank
Look'in good Orzel. I guess most of the buildings will be 2 to 3 story cement /stone rowhouses and stuff, seems to be what they mostly were in all the pictures..........
Nasty stuff.......
Any idea of the extent of the damage the map will have? Berlin was pretty trashed by time the actul battle took place.
Again nasty stuff........
Keep up the good work we really apreciate the time you spend on this stuff........

Berlin 45'....
Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 7:55 am
by Orzel Bialy
CO Klank,
Berlin will be pretty well beat up...burned and bombed out.

By the time the Soviet army had closed in this close their arty and air force, in conjunction with the bombings of the USAAF and RAF, had reduced much of the city to rubble.
And yes, the majority of the buildings will be two story buildings, except where (like the Reichstag) I have to over-lap buildings to creat certain landmarks...which require me to take down the "hills" that the game engine utilizies to mimick height.
OK, back to the grindstone.

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 6:00 pm
by Drex
Even if Brent Richards is working on a Berlin Map remember that there is more than one map of Stalingrad lying around and they are all different in some way so your Berlin Map will be well appreciated - especially if its the first one.
A little Feedback Please...
Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 6:00 pm
by Orzel Bialy
I did a bit more work on the map this morning...mainly on the Tiergarten area and the area along the southern shore of the River Spree.
What I would like to know is what people think about the level of damage I created? Is it too much? Too little? Just Right?
CO Klank and I covered the fact in this thread that Berlin was pretty well gutted by the time of the final Red Army assault...but I don't want to trash it so much that people might not find the map compelling to utilize.
For those of you interested please let me know what you think from the little preview that I have attached.
Berlin Map
Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 10:19 pm
by Drex
It's about the level of damage I would expect. Were all the bridges intact?
Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 12:12 am
by Commander Klank
The building damage looks good. You might want to watch the amount of damage to the roads on the mian avenues: it seems that in alot of the main roads are actully clear of heavy debries and craters. This so probably becouse the population still living there would clear/repair these roads so they could move about the city.......
Here's picture I pulled off the net.......

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 12:34 am
by Commander Klank
Opps.......
Hit the wrong button. I wasn't done with the post yet:mad:
Anyways as you can see in the picture the streets are relitvly clear of major debries and craters and are easy to move around on. While the building in the background has just collapsed into the street creating a roadblock you could bet it would eventully get cleared away by the population with the rubble being piled on the sides of the streets next to the buildings.
In a way this would make for some long clear fields of fire down the length of streets and make a dash across a street very dangerous indeed.
I'd maybe dress up the roads a bit (for looks) and maybe have some light damage here and there but other then that they should be clear of road blocks and major damage.
I'd let the players artillery and bombers do the major damage to the roads during the battles.
Just my two cents worth........
Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 3:34 am
by Grenadier
Orzel,
Would you like to finish my map instead? Also the special buildings for the map are in the game terr files somewhere. They have to be accessed by using the same procedure as the sidewalks, but I cannot remember where they are right now. It has been 2 years sinee I did them and they were in ver 5. I believe it is in the military buildings, ter61 or the inductrial buildings
Berlin map....
Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 3:39 am
by Orzel Bialy
Brent, well I could take up that challenge...if you are willing to send me the files I'd be happy to take a look at it.
CO Klank...I understand your input completely, that's why I asked for some feedback...I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one who thought maybe I was trashing it too much.
So...Brent, if you want send me what you have of the map...my addy is
ken24wins@yahoo.com. I'll look it over. Thanks for the offer...not everyone can say that they were offered to finish off one of your works of art, what an honor!

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 1:03 pm
by Gaius Marius
The map looks very good.
I was in Berlin last week and it is hard to imagine what it was like in 1945, but what I imagined is something like what your map looks like.
A couple of notes:
1) the Spree, I think, is a little narrower than you have it. It also has sheer concrete banks - there is no way to beach on either side. I don't know if this is doable in the game. Maybe make the banks cliff hexes? It is really much more of a canal than a river.
2) you may just not have gotten to it yet, but the largely-destroyed Lehrter Stadtbahnhof would be just across the Spree north of the Reichstag, I think. Just west of the large canal/basin coming off the river.
Anyway, thanks. I am looking forward to the final version. If you have any random questions about geography of the city, let me know. I don't live there but am probably there a few days out of every month, so it is fresh in my mind.
Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 4:47 pm
by Drex
all right! A Berlin map by Richards-Bialy. Now that's a combination.
Thanks...
Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 6:20 pm
by Orzel Bialy
for the input on the Spree and some of the terrain set up!

Very useful information indeed.
I can rework the river bank with little problem...I think I have an idea of how best to handle it too.
If you have any other input please post it.
Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 12:50 am
by Grenadier
The map is on its way