Page 1 of 1

Question on Ports (No Baelfiin, please)

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:04 pm
by Q-Ball
I am playing game against Baelfiin as Soviets (he is running an AAR if you want to check it out; I think he's keeping it updated). Overall he's doing well in certain areas where he is concentrating, like a giant pocket he just dropped on my around Vyzama.

Down south, though, he is moving slow. He bypassed Odessa, leaving a 3-CV Rifle Div in the port, with size-4 forts. He occuplied all adjacent hexes, and Romanians are digging in. They are not attacking, though.

I am inclined to stay, as the only retreat path is an over-water rout, and with a defensive CV of 30+, it will take Germans probably to get me moved.

The way things are moving, he will not enter the Crimea this summer.

If I keep Sevastopol, will that mean Odessa is always in supply?

If he does attack, will that unit rout to Sevastopol (Or other port in the Crimea?)

I am not 100% familiar with Port ZOC mechanics, so checking on this while I can still sail that unit out if I need to

RE: Question on Ports (No Baelfiin, please)

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:10 pm
by heliodorus04
From past experience, as long as you hold any other port east of Odessa, Odessa will be in supply.

When attacked in combat, again from personal experience (from playing Soviet and German), units in Odessa will route to the Crimea.

RE: Question on Ports (No Baelfiin, please)

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:49 pm
by Q-Ball
Thanks!

You know, if Baelfiin had left ONE hex adjacent to Odessa un-occupied, I probably would have just left. Oversight on his part. That's because the unit will retreat into that hex, isolating itself, instead of routing to safety. I would give up the port before dooming a good division to destruction.

Lesson to everyone on that...leave an open hex next to Odessa

RE: Question on Ports (No Baelfiin, please)

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:11 pm
by Texasgrunt
I played an interesting game vs the AI where I held Odessa and in Ovtober bagan to amph in rifle divns on the coast all the way to just north of Constanta. Eventually took the port. That caused no small amount of disruption!!