Page 1 of 1

AE on tablets

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:39 pm
by kaleun
Sorry if it's been asked before.
Has anyone tried AE on any of the tablets out there?
I'm thinking of getting a tablet to supplement my laptop and I-phone. I am debating between an Android based one or waiting a Windows 8 based one.
So there's really three questions:
A: Does AE work on Android?
B: Does anyone know if it will work on W8?
C: How about on the Ipad?

RE: AE on tablets

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:05 pm
by msieving1
Unless someone has come up with a Windows emulator for Android or iPad, I'm sure the game will not run on them. There are some Windows 7 tablet available; it might run on one of those,but I'm sceptical. I wouldn't bet on it running on Windows 8, but it might.

RE: AE on tablets

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:18 pm
by Cribtop
Probably too much to ask but that would rule.

RE: AE on tablets

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:24 pm
by vinc0net
I don't think you should have high hopes on this issue regarding the current game, but you raise a very valid question for future developments... I too would be interested in knowing if Matrix has any plans for targeting other platforms or even, as technology and business models would allow it, will they be considering web-based versions for some of their major games such as AE ?
Vincent

RE: AE on tablets

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:27 pm
by msieving1
A web based multiplayer version of WITP:AE could be interesting. Team play would ease some of the micro-management strain.

RE: AE on tablets

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:26 pm
by wdolson
Don't hold your breath for a multilayer or web version of AE.  It is highly unlikely.  Just making AE multiplayer would be a monumental task.  Web based would be an entire other level of complexity beyond that. 

At least some tablets run on the Intel Atom processor which is compatible with the x86 family.  Running Windows or a Windows emulator, you have a shot at it working.  The game also needs 1024X768 resolution.  If the tablet can't do that resolution, it won't work.  There may be some other limitations, but if it can support that resolution and runs an x86 compatible processor with either a Windows emulator or Windows, you have a shot at it working.

Bill

RE: AE on tablets

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:55 pm
by kaleun
Thanks guys. So much for that.
OTOH, with W8 set to come out next year, and considering the length of AE games, if this doesn't work on W8 that may be curtains for new long campaign PBEM games.

RE: AE on tablets

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:05 pm
by JocMeister
Should be some kind of VLC client available that would make it possible to remote control your desktop from your tablet. I think that would be the only possible solution.

RE: AE on tablets

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:53 pm
by Nemo121
I used a VLC client to play AE while away from home on my ipad. Screen resolution etc wasn't optimal but it worked and was a nice thing to actually be able to do technically. Not a feasible long-term solution though.

RE: AE on tablets

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:57 pm
by Nikademus
who would want to put their fingers through all the touch clicking? AE could be responsible for a whole new generation of arthritic tablet users with bony calcifications on their finger joints. [:D]