Page 1 of 1

Automated tax rate gets set to 100%

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:50 pm
by Bateman1982
Hi all,
I've started a new game as Humans, playing Legends 1.707 beta.

I just colonised my 2nd planet and noticed it immediately rebelled against me. The reason is that the automated tax management had put the tax to 100%.
I noticed that it's 100% on my homeworld as well, but this doesn't seem to be causing an issue.

I've had to set it manually to 10%, as I don't want my new colony in a constant state of rebellion.

Anyone else had their colony taxes all set to 100% when under full automation?

In my Empire Policy I've set it so that low pop worlds have low tax, yet this still seems to happen.

I'm running a Corporate Nationalism by the way, in case that makes any difference

RE: Automated tax rate gets set to 100%

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:21 pm
by GenChaos33
Yes, I had it happen in my last Human game. I was losing colonies like crazy to revolts, but I didn't check the tax rate. I bet is was 100%. But I'm only using the last official patch. FYI - I don't have any save.

RE: Automated tax rate gets set to 100%

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:34 pm
by cookie monster

RE: Automated tax rate gets set to 100%

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:15 pm
by GenChaos33
I don't see the answer in thread link, but I guess it might be the problem.

RE: Automated tax rate gets set to 100%

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:50 pm
by feelotraveller
Basically the answer is that Corporate Nationalism is not a good form of government for any length of time. By the sounds of it there is also an issue with tax automation to compound the problem.

Two solutions. Set taxes manually. Or choose another form of government. I like Democracy or Republic as humans. [:)]

RE: Automated tax rate gets set to 100%

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:48 pm
by bartomanboy
In my last game, I had human colonies randomly switching to my empire, I bet it was caused by the automated taxes too, lol.

RE: Automated tax rate gets set to 100%

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:01 am
by Cauldyth
Yeah, I started a thread somewhere saying that the default government type for humans should not be Corporate Nationalism. It's a horrible long-term government choice, and it even says in the description that it will eventually destroy your economy.

RE: Automated tax rate gets set to 100%

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:31 am
by cookie monster
If a feature of Corporate Nationalism is taxes at 100% to confiscate all private sector money then planets without enough troops to put down rebellions will rebel.

If any unhappiness is causing too much discontent then a troop garrision is needed.

The thread I posted more or less says Corporate Nationalism is a very specialised form of Government and should only be used for short periods, as it will eventually destroy your private sectors shipping when they are bankrupt.

RE: Automated tax rate gets set to 100%

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:58 pm
by Bateman1982
Aha, I see. Thanks for the responses.

It's all to do with those evil corporate types then.

Agree that it could be an issue for the AI if any species default government type is Corporate Nationalism by default, as surely this would result in mass defections for their colonies.

RE: Automated tax rate gets set to 100%

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:39 am
by the1sean
Apparently the AI handles the government type pretty well.

RE: Automated tax rate gets set to 100%

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:12 am
by Keston
ORIGINAL: Cauldyth

Yeah, I started a thread somewhere saying that the default government type for humans should not be Corporate Nationalism. It's a horrible long-term government choice, and it even says in the description that it will eventually destroy your economy.

The argument in favor of it remaining the default choice is that it is the closest match in substance and consequence to forms of government prevalent in the last century and favored by current trends in some countries. If the AI cycles through other forms of government, why does that not work?

(Yes, some folks may say it doesn't count unless the state is denominated a "corporation," but it's the closest pigeonhole in game for the family of progressive-spawned high-control regimes whether corporatist, sccialist, statist, what have you. Hive Mind doesn't really fit humans.)

RE: Automated tax rate gets set to 100%

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:31 pm
by Cauldyth
My complaint was just that it sets up new players for disaster. Many new players will choose Humans as their race without realizing that their empire comes pre-configured for trouble down the road. They won't understand why their economy is suddenly collapsing, and will get frustrated.

The best way to hook new players is to give them a relatively smooth ride their first time out. If things go wrong and they have no idea why, then they get frustrated and move on to something else. More challenging concepts like Corporate Nationalism should be something that players consciously choose.