Page 1 of 3

A Farewell to Arms - Honor Roll of Forum Friends who Have Passed On

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:43 pm
by Canoerebel
In honor of longtime forum friends who have passed away, creating absences that cannot be filled, here are the forum names and dates of passing so that we, their UV/WitP/AE brothers and sisters, may long remember them. We can edit the list as needed (hopefully a very rare task). Or, if this just doesn't come across right, we can let this fade away.

1. Tristanjohn - sometime after 2/5/2006
2. P.Hausser - shortly after 5/01/2010
3. Hellfirejet - circa Aug. or Sept. 2010
4. herwin - 12/31/2011

RE: A Farwell to Arms - Honor Roll of Forum Friends who Have Passed On

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:04 pm
by Cavalry Corp
I think its a good idea...
I know how fragile life is as in June 11 I was nearly killed in a horseriding accident.

cav

RE: A Farwell to Arms - Honor Roll of Forum Friends who Have Passed On

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:08 pm
by PeteG662
I believe there have been about five or so passings in the past few years. I cannot recall names or dates though but others may recall them. 

RE: A Farwell to Arms - Honor Roll of Forum Friends who Have Passed On

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:34 pm
by jeffk3510
I think there have been a handful Dan...I don't want to start rumors or something that might be untrue, but I think I recall someone passing away in a car accident a while back. I am not 100% sure. I do not know if that is who you're talking about or not.

RE: A Farwell to Arms - Honor Roll of Forum Friends who Have Passed On

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:42 pm
by DD696
Tristanjohn - last post 5 Feb 2006. I do not recall the date of his death - would have to search the old WitP forum.

RE: A Farwell to Arms - Honor Roll of Forum Friends who Have Passed On

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:45 pm
by Canoerebel
ORIGINAL: jeffk3510
I think there have been a handful Dan...I don't want to start rumors or something that might be untrue, but I think I recall someone passing away in a car accident a while back. I am not 100% sure. I do not know if that is who you're talking about or not.

Yes, one of our regulars, who lived in Norway, was killed in an auto accident about 2.5 years ago. I'm drawing a blank on his name at the moment. I've begun searching through old pages of the AE forum, but that's almost like searching for a needle in a haystack.

In fact, it was my inability to recall his name earlier this morning that prompted the thought that it might be helpful to have a thread like this one - one that hopefully will be seldom used, but can be bumped on occasion just to bring to mind those we've lost.

RE: A Farwell to Arms - Honor Roll of Forum Friends who Have Passed On

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:48 pm
by witpqs
Paul Hausser (I might have the spelling wrong), but I think he lived in Sweden? Automobile accident, the news conveyed by email to his PBM opponent(s).

RE: A Farwell to Arms - Honor Roll of Forum Friends who Have Passed On

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:49 pm
by Treetop64
Very thoughtful post. Can't possibly see this as not "coming across right".

Over in the Ubisoft IL-2 forums we renamed the off-topic forum in a recently fallen comrade's honor. It is now called The Blairgowrie.

RE: A Farwell to Arms - Honor Roll of Forum Friends who Have Passed On

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:53 pm
by Canoerebel
ORIGINAL: witpqs

Paul Hausser (I might have the spelling wrong), but I think he lived in Sweden? Automobile accident, the news conveyed by email to his PBM opponent(s).

That's the gent. Anybody remember his forum name?

RE: A Farwell to Arms - Honor Roll of Forum Friends who Have Passed On

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:54 pm
by SuluSea
ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

3. DivePac88 - 11/28/2011

This is the first I'm reading of his passing, very sad to hear of this.

RE: A Farwell to Arms - Honor Roll of Forum Friends who Have Passed On

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:58 pm
by witpqs
ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
ORIGINAL: witpqs

Paul Hausser (I might have the spelling wrong), but I think he lived in Sweden? Automobile accident, the news conveyed by email to his PBM opponent(s).

That's the gent. Anybody remember his forum name?

Paul Hausser! [:D] He had some political views that caused ire. One poster noted that he even used for his forum name the name of a very bad actor from WWII and he replied "I can't help it, it's my real name." [:D]

RE: A Farwell to Arms - Honor Roll of Forum Friends who Have Passed On

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:58 pm
by terje439
ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Paul Hausser (I might have the spelling wrong), but I think he lived in Sweden? Automobile accident, the news conveyed by email to his PBM opponent(s).

That's the gent. Anybody remember his forum name?

P.Hausser was it not? And he was from Sweden

RE: A Farwell to Arms - Honor Roll of Forum Friends who Have Passed On

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:01 pm
by Canoerebel
That's it, terje (and witpqs). Thanks. I"ll search the forum to get more information about his date of death.

RE: A Farwell to Arms - Honor Roll of Forum Friends who Have Passed On

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:06 pm
by terje439
ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

That's it, terje (and witpqs). Thanks. I"ll search the forum to get more information about his date of death.

This is the message posted by his opponent Bigred:

"My last turn from/ P.Hausser was at 8am Friday, may1st. Paul died from injuries recieved while driving. He was playing the IJ and had me pressed all across the map. His brother, Richard w/ Paul had planned a campaign for 5 months before starting w/ me and I felt honored to be his opponent as this was my first WitP after many UV campaigns.
We had gotten into late July 42. With this posting is my consession of victory to P.Hausser. Below is my email from Richard.

---- Richard <email adress > wrote:
>> My brother Paul Theodor Hausser died today at 22:59, at Karolinska
>> University Hospital, Huddinge Stockholm.
>> He was involved in a traffic accident at May 1st 2010, and His condition
>> got significantly worse after attempted sugary yesterday.
>> He died without pain.
>>
>> I helped him out from time to time with the game you were doing, and I
>> know the password.
>> I can send you the password if you want me to, or I can send it to any
>> other player that you may find who can take his spot.
>>
>>
>>
>> Richard Hausser"

RE: A Farwell to Arms - Honor Roll of Forum Friends who Have Passed On

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:19 pm
by witpqs
From his user profile:


Image

RE: A Farwell to Arms - Honor Roll of Forum Friends who Have Passed On

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:37 pm
by oldman45
Well done CanoeRebel, on another site we set a forum up for our members that left us too soon. Thankfully its a pretty small section.

RE: A Farwell to Arms - Honor Roll of Forum Friends who Have Passed On

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:51 pm
by warspite1
Nice idea Canoerebel.

One other (very sad) addition is hellfirejet, a young man who was tragically killed by a drunk driver sometime in August/September 2010. I do not know when but the notice of his death came through on the 14th of the latter month.

He was a keen enthusiast of the naval war and I know from forum correspondence that he played WITP-AE.

Edit: it was the 14th not the 28th as first thought.

RE: A Farwell to Arms - Honor Roll of Forum Friends who Have Passed On

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:52 pm
by Historiker
[:(]
I've known the last three and I had some very good conversations with herwin via PM. May they rest in peace

RE: A Farwell to Arms - Honor Roll of Forum Friends who Have Passed On

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:39 pm
by mdiehl
Wtf? Herwin died? Was this expected?

RE: A Farwell to Arms - Honor Roll of Forum Friends who Have Passed On

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:06 pm
by jwilkerson
Modder Hellfire is also among the missing ...