Page 1 of 1

The Final Countdown

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:16 am
by Rogue187
After having had to reload my game a couple of times when I ran the Enterprise and Lexington into the KB on Dec 9th, I got to thinking, there is only one way for 1 American carrier to take on a whole fleet. I know that it has been brought up, but has anyone actually finished a Final Countdown scenerio? I have seen a few posts about having them designed, but none completed.

PS. The AI needs to take the Pearl Harbor KB NORTH of Midway and not SOUTH of it!! I was rather shocked to see my carriers get whacked by a group that went the wrong way.

RE: The Final Countdown

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:44 am
by Itdepends
Umm- you mean the AI didn't move the KB where you expected (wanted) it to and so you lost your carriers? You still should have been able to avoid the KB if you'd done the honorable Sir Robin on turn 1 and run awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

Or did they get you because you went after the Wake invasion convoy?

RE: The Final Countdown

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:05 am
by HansBolter
I have an old solitaire board game by Victory Games titled Carriers that included a "Nimitz" counter for yukks.

RE: The Final Countdown

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:05 am
by USS Henrico
The problem with the Nimitz scenario is that the ship has a mandatory withdrawal of 12/7/41, never returns, and costs 20,000 PP per turn to keep. Replacements for its aircraft are also scarce.

RE: The Final Countdown

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:03 pm
by Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: USS Henrico

The problem with the Nimitz scenario is that the ship has a mandatory withdrawal of 12/7/41, never returns, and costs 20,000 PP per turn to keep. Replacements for its aircraft are also scarce.
And just think of the weather surrounding it too...we'd really hear it about electrical plasma storms interfering with deck activities.

RE: The Final Countdown

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:10 pm
by Feinder
I actually did this scenario for WitP - Classic.

tm.asp?m=943686&mpage=1&key=nimitz&#943686

-F-

Image

RE: The Final Countdown

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:12 pm
by Feinder
USS Nimitz:

And of course, creating the scenario is no good if you don't bother to run a turn or two...

Code: Select all

 Day Air attack on TF at 111,65
  
 Japanese aircraft
 D3A Val x 111
 B5N Kate x 143
 E8N Dave x 4
 F1M2 Pete x 2
  
 Allied aircraft
 F/A-18C Hornet x 48
 F-14D Tomcat x 12
  
 Japanese aircraft losses
 D3A Val: 96 destroyed
 B5N Kate: 108 destroyed
 E8N Dave: 3 destroyed
 F1M2 Pete: 2 destroyed
  
  
 Allied Ships
 CV Nimitz
  
 Aircraft Attacking:
  3 x B5N Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
  1 x E8N Dave bombing at 2000 feet
 
 


Image

RE: The Final Countdown

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:31 pm
by DOCUP
ORIGINAL: Feinder

USS Nimitz:

And of course, creating the scenario is no good if you don't bother to run a turn or two...

Code: Select all

 Day Air attack on TF at 111,65
  
 Japanese aircraft
 D3A Val x 111
 B5N Kate x 143
 E8N Dave x 4
 F1M2 Pete x 2
  
 Allied aircraft
 F/A-18C Hornet x 48
 F-14D Tomcat x 12
  
 Japanese aircraft losses
 D3A Val: 96 destroyed
 B5N Kate: 108 destroyed
 E8N Dave: 3 destroyed
 F1M2 Pete: 2 destroyed
  
  
 Allied Ships
 CV Nimitz
  
 Aircraft Attacking:
  3 x B5N Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
  1 x E8N Dave bombing at 2000 feet
 
 


Image


I see Naval flak is still lacking some. Figured that the Phalanx would of took out the attacking Kates and Dave.[:D]

RE: The Final Countdown

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:51 pm
by Gregg
You missed the counter attack:

A6 Intruder x 1

Japanese Fleet Destroyed

Gregg

RE: The Final Countdown

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:28 am
by Rogue187
Hans, you mean Carrier? I had that as a kid. I really tried to learn it, but I was really too young. So I just played with the pieces. :) I think I re-bought it a few years ago, I'll have to look through my box of games.

*Nerd Alert Update*
I was watching The Final Countdown and I began to wonder. If that movie was remade today, would modern F-18 pilots be able to effectively attack the Japanese Fleet? I know the easy answer is yes, but with most bombs being GPS guided, they would be useless in 1941. Do people still teach dive bombing against ships? I was also thinking that the Nimitz would be a one shot deal. If it were transported back to 1941 for longer than a day or two. It would run out of bombs, missiles, and JP-5 long before 1945. Then it would be a great big, modern, waste of space.

RE: The Final Countdown

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:28 am
by aspqrz02
Read John Birmingham's "Axis of Time" trilogy ... interesting update, sorta, and a fun read ...

And look out for Pilot McGregor (yep, me ... long story) in the third book ... wiping out some Fallschirmjager with Puff the Magic Dragon in a C-47

[:D][:D][:D]

Phil

RE: The Final Countdown

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:58 am
by Ambassador
There is a short story on a website dedicated to alternative histories that tackled the question of "what would happen if Nimitz stayed in 1941 instead of returning to present-day through the storm".  It is interesting in that the author tells of all those difficulties, regarding spare parts, ordnance, avgas, etc, but also about the impact of Nimitz's technology on the course of the war.

I'll try to find it.

EDIT: Found ![8D]

RE: The Final Countdown

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:05 pm
by Treetop64
After reading the thread title, I can't get that stupid song outta my head...

RE: The Final Countdown

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:05 pm
by vettim89
ORIGINAL: Rogue187

Hans, you mean Carrier? I had that as a kid. I really tried to learn it, but I was really too young. So I just played with the pieces. :) I think I re-bought it a few years ago, I'll have to look through my box of games.

*Nerd Alert Update*
I was watching The Final Countdown and I began to wonder. If that movie was remade today, would modern F-18 pilots be able to effectively attack the Japanese Fleet? I know the easy answer is yes, but with most bombs being GPS guided, they would be useless in 1941. Do people still teach dive bombing against ships? I was also thinking that the Nimitz would be a one shot deal. If it were transported back to 1941 for longer than a day or two. It would run out of bombs, missiles, and JP-5 long before 1945. Then it would be a great big, modern, waste of space.

Many of the guidance systems are actually "kits" that are fitted onto Mk82 and/or Mk84 bombs. Modern targeting systems and transonic speeds would still make an F/A-18 squadron with "dumb" bombs dead ly. Also any LGB would strill be deadly effective. BTW, the original movie scenario was based on 1980's technology so no GPS guidance anyway.

RE: The Final Countdown

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:16 pm
by String
ORIGINAL: Feinder

USS Nimitz:

And of course, creating the scenario is no good if you don't bother to run a turn or two...

Code: Select all

 Day Air attack on TF at 111,65
  
 Japanese aircraft
 D3A Val x 111
 B5N Kate x 143
 E8N Dave x 4
 F1M2 Pete x 2
  
 Allied aircraft
 F/A-18C Hornet x 48
 F-14D Tomcat x 12
  
 Japanese aircraft losses
 D3A Val: 96 destroyed
 B5N Kate: 108 destroyed
 E8N Dave: 3 destroyed
 F1M2 Pete: 2 destroyed
  
  
 Allied Ships
 CV Nimitz
  
 Aircraft Attacking:
  3 x B5N Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
  1 x E8N Dave bombing at 2000 feet
 
 


Image

48 knots? Oh dear.. http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-028.htm

RE: The Final Countdown

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:41 am
by John 3rd
ORIGINAL: Ambassador

There is a short story on a website dedicated to alternative histories that tackled the question of "what would happen if Nimitz stayed in 1941 instead of returning to present-day through the storm".  It is interesting in that the author tells of all those difficulties, regarding spare parts, ordnance, avgas, etc, but also about the impact of Nimitz's technology on the course of the war.

I'll try to find it.

EDIT: Found ![8D]

There is a trilogy of books dealing with a scenario quite similar to this called Weapons of Choice by John Birmingham. It is pure CHEESE but a lot of fun to read.

RE: The Final Countdown

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:51 am
by LoBaron
ORIGINAL: Treetop64

After reading the thread title, I can't get that stupid song outta my head...

Thank you VERY much. Thats exactly what I need at 06:50. You made my day. NOT.

RE: The Final Countdown

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:25 am
by Feinder
48 knots? Oh dear..
Good article, thanks.

Actually, there was a point to making the max speed "rather high". Due to various max settings for durability, belt, maneuver, etc, we were looking at increasing the speed and maneuver ratings in order to give her additional assurance vs. torps. The belt in that pic is too high (invuln to torps). And the max speed had no effect on movement, since the max hexes per pulse was 6 anyway. Thats an old pic that I scounged from an old folder. But it was still kinda fun to fiddle with that scen back in the day (see thread that I included). They even did plane-tops and sides for the F-14s and such.

-F-

RE: The Final Countdown

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:27 pm
by Ddog
Rogue,

The Viking is a dive bomber.