Page 1 of 4
What is this?
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:48 am
by Apollo11
Hi all,
What is this?
I don't immediately recognize the aircraft...
The picture was from
DailyMail UK under article "Rescued from the trash: Photo album of fascinating WWII portraits of African-American troops in Europe"...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... urope.html
Leo "Apollo11"
RE: What is this?
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:08 am
by DuckofTindalos
Looks like it could be an Arado 234.
RE: What is this?
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:06 am
by Apollo11
Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Terminus
Looks like it could be an Arado 234.
At first I thought the same but engine nacelle is not right...
Leo "Apollo11"
RE: What is this?
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:04 pm
by DuckofTindalos
Weird to see a German plane with an in-the-wing nacelle arrangement.
RE: What is this?
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:35 pm
by geofflambert
Can't believe it but it sure looks like a KI-45 KAIc Toryu. Can't Imagine one in Europe. Could'nt find out if it was based on a German design. Maybe for a change the Germans were copying a Japanese design?
RE: What is this?
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:11 pm
by Erkki
Looks like a radial engine Ju 86 that has lost its nose...

RE: What is this?
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:36 pm
by DuckofTindalos
ORIGINAL: Erkki
Looks like a radial engine Ju 86 that has lost its nose...
I'll give you that it's a prop plane with an empty nacelle, but the fuselage seems too narrow for a Ju-86.
RE: What is this?
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:37 pm
by DuckofTindalos
ORIGINAL: geofflambert
Can't believe it but it sure looks like a KI-45 KAIc Toryu. Can't Imagine one in Europe. Could'nt find out if it was based on a German design. Maybe for a change the Germans were copying a Japanese design?
They didn't need more heavy fighters. Besides, narrow as it is, the fuselage is too wide for a Nick.
RE: What is this?
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:40 pm
by geofflambert
You're right Terminus, how about these two possibilities? Hs-129 or Avia B-71 (aka SB)
RE: What is this?
Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:02 am
by Dili
He 177 maybe.
Nopes the the distance from cockpit to wind doesn't fit. And the wing sees too low.
He 115?
RE: What is this?
Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:12 am
by Apollo11
Hi all,
This is really strange... [&:]
For me the obvious first answer would be jet engine - but the nacelle is mid wing and there are no exhausts - therefore it must be propeller driver aircraft... but the distance is very small for propeller to fit and not hit the fuselage... weird indeed...
Leo "Apollo11"
RE: What is this?
Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:48 am
by cantona2
Could it be the torn off wing of another aircraft that has just been dumped there?
Wing on the right looks a totally different shape and when I first saw this photo I thought Ju 88
RE: What is this?
Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:24 am
by tocaff
Agreed that the 2 wings don't appear to be the same. [&:]
RE: What is this?
Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:07 pm
by mike scholl 1
ORIGINAL: cantona2
Could it be the torn off wing of another aircraft that has just been dumped there?
Wing on the right looks a totally different shape and when I first saw this photo I thought Ju 88
Looks like a scrap heap. Could it be a Lockeeed Ventura or a Martin Baltimore just piled in with a German wing?
RE: What is this?
Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:31 pm
by Dili
Leo 451?
RE: What is this?
Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:00 pm
by Treetop64
ORIGINAL: mike scholl 1
Looks like a scrap heap. Could it be a Lockeeed Ventura or a Martin Baltimore just piled in with a German wing?
I'm with him.
RE: What is this?
Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:00 am
by JeffroK
Just about anything could turn up in graveyard on an airfied.
Its a lot easier to rule out possibles looking at the engine position on the wing and the wing position on the fuselage. But maybe a lot of bits and pieces have been canniblised or knocked off
Reading the story the unit served in the UK and NW Europe, cuts out a few more.
I dont think its a PV1/Ventura, the fuselage shape is a bit squared, though a buldozer could do that.
I'm going to guess a Bristol Blenheim IV or later.
I'd love to know the right answer.
RE: What is this?
Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:36 am
by Jaroen
I agree with the scrapheep idea. It could be anything lying around on some captured German airfield. Perhaps in former occupied territory. Like what the caption with the original picture reads:
Beginning in December 1943 and ending with the war in 1945, the 389th Regiment travelled to England, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany and France
From the airframe itself, the fuselage, thick wingroots and cockpit position, I was thinking some earlier He-111 version. But the engine nacelles are somewhat wrong for that. Not completely though and I can't think of any other German plane coming close. It's not unlikely to find those older He-111 with other bombers.
If not an He-111 I like Dili's alternative, something French. The LeO 451 might be it . . . , but the cockpit/fuselage position doesn't convince me. Maybe some Bloch??? Knowing those engine nacelles is knowing the plane I think.
Just my 2 cts.
RE: What is this?
Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:23 pm
by Shark7
I think it might be an Heinkel He-115.
RE: What is this?
Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:40 pm
by CT Grognard
Interesting, Shark7. I reckon you might be a close. Here's a view of the Heinkel He-115.
