Page 1 of 3
Hi From Abe
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:05 pm
by TheElf
I thought you all would be interested to hear that I am typing this from the USS Abraham Lincoln, somewhere in the Arabian Gulf. The last night recovery is in process. Hornets and Super Hornets are smacking the deck rigth over my head as I watch The latest Pirates of the Carribean movie on the ship's TV. I will be feet dry in a day or so but am enjoying being back in the fleet if only for a couple nights.
~Elf
RE: Hi From Abe
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:07 pm
by DuckofTindalos
[8D]
RE: Hi From Abe
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:07 pm
by Chickenboy
Hi back, TheElf. Always good to see you on the forums.
RE: Hi From Abe
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:14 pm
by USSAmerica
Things have changed just a bit since my days on CV-66. We didn't have email, we had to number our letters so the recipient could tell if they arrived weeks later out of order. [:D]
Snail mail aside, I did enjoy my time at sea to a great extent. [8D]
RE: Hi From Abe
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:17 pm
by witpqs
[&o]
RE: Hi From Abe
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:26 pm
by Sardaukar
Nice! [8D]
RE: Hi From Abe
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:27 pm
by nashvillen
Elf - Thank you and your other military comrades for what you do for our country!
RE: Hi From Abe
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:35 pm
by CT Grognard
I have it on good authority that your Taliban opponents have on a number of occasions complained that the RL Air Model (TM) is BORKED!
They claim that there is no way that American aircraft can be that accurate in delivering strike packages.
What do you say to these allegations?
[8|]
RE: Hi From Abe
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:42 pm
by mdiehl
Obviously the USN IRL aren't designed by Matrix Games.
RE: Hi From Abe
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:18 pm
by LoBaron
Best of luck Iain!
RE: Hi From Abe
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:25 pm
by Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: TheElf
I thought you all would be interested to hear that I am typing this from the USS Abraham Lincoln, somewhere in the Arabian Gulf. The last night recovery is in process. Hornets and Super Hornets are smacking the deck rigth over my head as I watch The latest Pirates of the Carribean movie on the ship's TV. I will be feet dry in a day or so but am enjoying being back in the fleet if only for a couple nights.
~Elf
Staff puke!!!!! [:)]
RE: Hi From Abe
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:29 pm
by Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: USS America
Things have changed just a bit since my days on CV-66. We didn't have email, we had to number our letters so the recipient could tell if they arrived weeks later out of order. [:D]
Snail mail aside, I did enjoy my time at sea to a great extent. [8D]
Mail? What's that? Looxury!! [:'(]
We got 40 words, six times a patrol, if the Blue crew radiomen were sober enough to type. And two of them had to be the sender's name.
Although it was amazing how dirty some Navy wives could be in 38 words when anything overt got edited out by the Blue crew CO before the 'grams went to squadron for transmission.
RE: Hi From Abe
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:00 pm
by John 3rd
Good Thoughts to you and the Abe!
RE: Hi From Abe
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:21 pm
by PaxMondo
ORIGINAL: USS America
... We didn't have email, we had to number our letters so the recipient could tell if they arrived weeks later out of order. [:D]
Yep. I got to use the telex once in a while, but mostly just surface mail.
RE: Hi From Abe
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:23 pm
by ny59giants
We had a ham radio on board to help out at time.
FF-1079 Bowen (81 -83)
RE: Hi From Abe
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:33 pm
by Commander Stormwolf
I thought you all would be interested to hear that I am typing this from the USS Abraham Lincoln
Happy the fleet is out there
but.. i hope they don't repeat what happpened to USS Liberty [:(]

RE: Hi From Abe
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:21 am
by mdiehl
Things that make you say "hmmm." Yer post, if technically accurate, is kind of inyaface and OT, doncha think, Commander?
RE: Hi From Abe
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:24 am
by UniformYankee
A "merchant ship" took some hits ... a rather different scenario than the "fleet" in the Persian Gulf ... but time will tell ... [:)]
RE: Hi From Abe
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:39 am
by mdiehl
Yep.
RE: Hi From Abe
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:05 am
by crsutton
ORIGINAL: ny59giants
We had a ham radio on board to help out at time.
FF-1079 Bowen (81 -83)
Well in my day, we just scratched a greeting out on any old wooden plank and then tied it to a sperm whale in the hopes it would head in the right direction. [X(]
Actually, what I would not give to spend 48 hours on a modern carrier. That is as long as they don't turn me to with a hurdy gurdy to chip paint. Have a good voyage.