Page 1 of 2

Using ARDs

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:19 pm
by hbrsvl
Hi-Scen.9, 5/14/43, Allies, v ...r9. What is best use for ARDs? My first one has just departed Victoria for Midway. I have 2 OBBs- West Virginia and California still in PH. The float damage is 63 and 62(both in the red). One has 0 sys damage, the other in the 30s. Estimated repair time is 507 for W.Va, 476 for Calif.

After reading 14.2, I understand that ARDs can repair major Float damage. I'd really like to get these BBs to the US mainland. Should I send the ARD to Pearl?

Comments, please.

Thanks, Hugh Browne

RE: Using ARDs

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:27 pm
by Sardaukar
ARD can repair smaller amounts of major float dmg, but note that only ships whose tonnage is smaller than ARD capacity will fit in. So most are best for emergency repairs for smaller ships. Most ARDs cannot take BB. And PH has repair yard, so ARD would be bit pointless there.
 
You can make pretty good forward sub base in Midway or in Aleutians (I think Adak I. can be built up to lvl 7 port or so) by getting ARD, AR and AS into same base.

RE: Using ARDs

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:00 am
by jmalter
ORIGINAL: Sardaukar
You can make pretty good forward sub base in Midway or in Aleutians (I think Adak I. can be built up to lvl 7 port or so) by getting ARD, AR and AS into same base.
took awhile, but i managed to withdraw the small Dutch ARDs to small ports in North Oz, along w/ some repair ships & float-plane support. now i've got functioning sub-bases & a reasonable DEW-line of patrol-plane bases, out of range from air-attack (until the AI finishes reducing Sumatra).

took me awhile to figure out ARDs, they just need to be disbanded in a supplied port in order to lend their float-repair ability to any ship (smaller than the ARD's capacity) that needs it.

RE: Using ARDs

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:09 pm
by crsutton
Behind the lines out of bomber range but close enough for emergency repairs on damaged ships. Larger ports are better. I find them redundant if used in a base with a repair yard. Very useful things for the Allies.

RE: Using ARDs

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:51 pm
by hbrsvl
Hi-Thanks to all that answered. A ?. How do the ARDs work? Does the player put a ship into the ARD? If, as one of you stated, you have to disband the ARD TF, how are repairs accomplished?

This ARD has a lift capacity of 55K tons. Can you put 2 or more smaller ship-DD,DE, etc. into the dock at the same time?

Comments, please. Thanks HB

RE: Using ARDs

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:23 pm
by John 3rd
Being too lazy to pull up a current turn, may I ask where one sees the tonnage limit for an ARD?

RE: Using ARDs

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:00 pm
by Mundy
Right in its regular stats screen -- bottom right.

Ed-

RE: Using ARDs

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:51 pm
by jmalter
hi HB,
best i can tell, a disbanded ARD automatically lends its repair capability to any disbanded ship in the port that needs its services, up to the limit of its tonnage capacity, if the damaged ship is in pierside or repair-ship mode. there's no way to assign a ship to an ARD, nor does it seem possible to load supply onto it - a suspect its supply cap is only a handy place for 'remembering' its tonnage capacity for game-engine purposes.

RE: Using ARDs

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:45 am
by hbrsvl
jmalter(and all)- Thanks. I'll see if it works the way you mentioned. HB

RE: Using ARDs

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:19 pm
by Sardaukar
And..you can manually assign ships to it from repair screen, since ARD is "Repair ship".

RE: Using ARDs

Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:58 pm
by John B.
Old topic but new question. I have an ARD disbanded in a forward base. But, it does not seem to be repairing flotation damage on ships that are well within its lift capacity. When I set the ship repair to repair ship, for example, the repair time is set in red and no flotation damage has been repaired in 14 days or so (ship is at 6 flotation). Am I doing something wrong? The only thing I see is that the ARD has 1 flotation damage itself and 8 systems damage presumably from it's cross sea journey. Do they need to be in perfect shape before they're useful?

RE: Using ARDs

Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:32 pm
by BBfanboy
The ship must be IN the dock for the floatation damage to be repaired. And of course, capacity cannot be exceeded so if you already have a ship in the dock ...

EDIT: I see you already tried assigning to "Repair Ship", so do you also have an AR at the base. You might have to use the "manage ships in repair" screen to select the ARD?

Don't know the answer about the ARD damage . Best review Alfred's ship repair guide.

RE: Using ARDs

Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:36 pm
by John B.
I'm not sure how you put it "in the dock." It only gives me the pierside option when I stand the ship I wish to repair down. It does not give me repair ship or drydock or ARD as an option.

RE: Using ARDs

Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:40 pm
by BBfanboy
ORIGINAL: John B.

I'm not sure how you put it "in the dock." It only gives me the pierside option when I stand the ship I wish to repair down. It does not give me repair ship or drydock or ARD as an option.
Then the damage to the ARD must be preventing it from functioning.

Here is Alfred's Ship Repair 101 link:

tm.asp?m=2990845

RE: Using ARDs

Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:43 pm
by nashvillen
BBfanboy has it. The ARD has to be fully repaired to work.

RE: Using ARDs

Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:50 am
by VukyTzar
I have always loaded my ARDs with supplies... Are supplies required for ARD to repair?

RE: Using ARDs

Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:20 am
by John B.
Perfect. Thanks for all of the tips![&o]

RE: Using ARDs

Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:20 pm
by BBfanboy
ORIGINAL: VukyTzar

I have always loaded my ARDs with supplies... Are supplies required for ARD to repair?
You must be confusing with ADs or AVDs. AR and ARDs cannot load supplies.

RE: Using ARDs

Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:51 pm
by Admiral DadMan
Undamaged, disbanded ARD used only for flotation repair on one ship at a time.


RE: Using ARDs

Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:35 pm
by Bullwinkle58
The thread eventually got to the right answers. [:)]

Additionally, I believe Michael put new code in a recent beta patch to report exactly which ship, by name, is in each ARD when one is in the ARD. Anyway, it's there, and I don't recall it being there before. In aopeationsreport.txt