Page 1 of 1

Jap aviation support Q

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:29 pm
by Huskalator
I am playing a couple grand campaigns as the IJN. It is around Julyish in both of them and I am looking at my current aviation support situation, how many planes I am going to get, and how much more AS I am going to get, and have come to the realization that there is no way I am going to have enough aviation support.

So my question is, is this to be expected that the Japs will be chronically short on aviation support for most of the GC?

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:32 pm
by John Carney
Yes, this and loss of pilots crippled the IJN in the Solomons Campaign.

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:40 pm
by chrisp
Yes, I think the Japanese did very poorly in the Engineering War department. Certainly, they never came up with an equivalent to the Seabees. I think it was a case of that kind of work being seen as less than honorable and not the job of a soldier. IIRC, many of the workers used by the Japanese were conscripted Koreans, Okinawans, and Formosans.

Chris P.

Aren't base forces supposed to grow?

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 7:56 pm
by Toast Master
I have a related question concerning aviation support and an apparent error in the manual. The manual indicates (in section 19.8) that each airfield is associated with a particular base force, and when that airfield expands, the base force is supposed to gain aviation support squads.

I have played a fair number of campaigns from both sides well into late 1942. I have expanded most of the major airfields at least up to (usually exceeding) their SPS. Yet I have never observed a single increase in the number of aviation squads assigned to base units. Is this an error in the manual, or am I simply not reading it correctly? :confused:

Re: Aren't base forces supposed to grow?

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 8:26 pm
by NorthStar
Originally posted by Toast Master
I have a related question concerning aviation support and an apparent error in the manual. The manual indicates (in section 19.8) that each airfield is associated with a particular base force, and when that airfield expands, the base force is supposed to gain aviation support squads.

I have played a fair number of campaigns from both sides well into late 1942. I have expanded most of the major airfields at least up to (usually exceeding) their SPS. Yet I have never observed a single increase in the number of aviation squads assigned to base units. Is this an error in the manual, or am I simply not reading it correctly? :confused:
This has been discussed in another thread. The feature allowing for the growth of Base Forces was removed for the human player; only the AI's Base Forces grow.

IIRC, this was done because it was felt that the human should be able to manage his Base Forces effectively, while the AI needed the help. Unfortunately, the manual was never updated to reflect the change.

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 9:53 pm
by Toast Master
Thanks for clearing that up for me. That will change how much I invest in expanding airfields now.

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 7:17 am
by aoffen
The secret for the Japanese is the use of Rabaul. 250 points of aviation support can support an unlimited number of aircraft. Build Rabual up to a 9 point airfield with 250+ points of aviation support and you can base 450 planes there - thats about your entire airforce. Not horribly flexible but at least its better than having piles of damaged aircraft build up in other bases due to lack of support.
Regards
Andrew

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 11:19 am
by ATENTOKO
The secret for the Japanese is the use of Rabaul. 250 points of aviation support can support an unlimited number of aircraft. Build Rabual up to a 9 point airfield with 250+ points of aviation support and you can base 450 planes there - thats about your entire airforce. Not horribly flexible but at least its better than having piles of damaged aircraft build up in other bases due to lack of support.
Regards
Andrew

So, you have prove it? This is good news.

Thnks Andrew

Andy:eek:

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 10:25 am
by pad152
Good Use for the Editor

I modifed Scen #17 and gave the Japs more and better AV support, Eng groups with vehicles, and airgroup renforcement starting with at full strenght. It makes for a better game vs the computer AI. I only was I could modify aircraft replacement rates.