Page 1 of 2

Mines in PBEM games

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 4:28 pm
by otto
I'd like to know if there's a consensus on the use of mines in PBEM games. I'm especially interested in delay scenarios. I recently finished one where I spent about 10% of my purchase points on mines. They destroyed as many of my oppenents AFV's as my jagdpanzers.

I was surprised that mines were even available, isn't the delay supposed to represent a hasty defense in which the defender would not have had much time to fortify?

What kind of limits do others place on purchasing mines?

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 4:33 pm
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
I never use mines not a one.

But then I am likely stupid to not use them. The AI certainly gets good use out of them on me:)

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 4:45 pm
by otto
It sounds like you understand my moral dilemma. I almost feel bad about using them, but they wreaked havoc on my opponent.
That's why I'm curious about whether there is a consensus on using the things.

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 4:54 pm
by Katana
AFAIK most people don't use pre-laid mines, except maybe when defending against an assault. Mines laid during the battle are generally ok.

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 4:57 pm
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Mines are there, we all see them, so are all the other toys, like the reeeeeally big arty pieces I use myself all the time.

There is no excuse for an opponent to complain if you "trash" him brutally.

But friendly games are always easier to arrive at with a more or less frank discussion pre game.

So if you like mines, be up front, and say oh I have used mines in the past. Then if his attack falls flat on it's face, congradulations, you an nasty opponent and a worthy threat.

Never refuse yourself a good strategy just because it works so well.

Mines are deadly as Hell...

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 6:33 pm
by Orzel Bialy
in this game if used en masse...and can throw an opponent right off his game plan if used wisely in lesser numbers.

I think I surprised the snot out of both Goblin and M4 Jess the first time I ever played them in a Pbem. :D :D
Mind you...I hate airborne drops and massive arty...to me they can ruin a game if limits aren't put in place. Anyway, at this time I was a FNG to the forum...and those two a couple of the "Kings of the Hill". I noticed in their posts what some of their tendencies were. (as to how they pummelled people from time to time.)

SOoooo...when I played them for the first time I launched a somewhat unfair surprise on them. I bought a bunch of mines and layed down double belts of mines with gaps covered by ATG's or TD's...to me this was no different from any other surprise in the game so I thought nothing of it.

After a couple turns I had both of them swearing to come to Wisconsin to kick my @ss. LOL. :D :D :D My minefields tore them to shreds because they weren't expecting it...which was unfair to a point I concede, but humorous none the less.

Anyway from that point on I have viewed mines in the same way as big Off Board Arty and Airdrops...as a weapon that needs limits to keep the games real and fun. I usually say 20 to 25 pts tops if pre-laid mines are agreed to...enough to frustrate and surprise, but not enough to win or turn the tide of battle with.

And there is my overly long and drawn out opinion on mines! :D

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 7:04 pm
by M4Jess
After a couple turns I had both of them swearing to come to Wisconsin to kick my @ss. LOL. My minefields tore them to shreds because they weren't expecting it...which was unfair to a point I concede, but humorous none the less.



We are still comming to get you:mad:

;)

I agree with Orzel, mines have their place but limit then for play balance...

I feel the most un-fair unit are the infiltrators knocking on your back door!:mad:

M4 Jess~

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 7:52 pm
by tracer
Like anything else in PBEM, it should be discussed in pre-battle 'negotiations'. Any of my opponents can tell you I always put the following in my agreements (for a meeting engagement): onboard arty only, no aircraft/infiltrators, engineer laid mines only.

I get much more enjoyment (win or lose) knowing I played a better game, and not because I exploited a 'loophole'. Though I gotta admit it makes me laugh thinking about some of my opponents cussing out loud with every BOOM as they run into a 20-per-hex/2-hex-deep minefield. :D :D

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 9:29 pm
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Mines are to Steel Panthers, what hordes of cheap infantry are to Advanced Squad Leader.

Perfectly legal, but they spoil the fun. And a person that isn't having fun rarely continues to "not have fun" for long, before finding something else to do.

Which is why any game played player to player, should always be planned out in advance. That way you don't end up wondering "where did my opponent go?"

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 11:27 pm
by tracer
Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1
Mines are to Steel Panthers, what hordes of cheap infantry are to Advanced Squad Leader.

Perfectly legal, but they spoil the fun. And a person that isn't having fun rarely continues to "not have fun" for long, before finding something else to do.

Which is why any game played player to player, should always be planned out in advance. That way you don't end up wondering "where did my opponent go?"
Like the children say, 'word'! Plus (and I'm bringing up a very old thread here), it startles the %&#$ out of me when a mine goes off unexpectantly...I'm getting too old to have soda shooting out of my nose. :D :D

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 12:16 am
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
That is funny actually, because while it is uncommon, my biggest beef about mines is, when I am happily tanking along and then BANG!! my tank blows up.

It never fails to surprise me heheh:D

Funny but true....

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 12:42 am
by Orzel Bialy
I've had mines startled the sh*t out me too I must admit...especially if I'm playing late at night and all is quiet in the house. :D

There's been one or two times when I actually flinched from the wallop and cursed out loud before laughing it off. LOL. :D

Ah yes, funny stuff indeed! :p

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 12:45 am
by Katana
:D That's why I use them :D
The psychological effects are more impotant than actual damage.
(unless you have lots of mines)

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 2:15 am
by tracer
In the old thread I was referring to the general consensus was exactly what you all are saying, and as I remember, it turned into a 4-5 page thread from all the replies. I don't have an old version of SPWAW around for comparison, but I'd swear they actually lowered the sound in v7.0-7.1 too.

And Katana, I don't think its considered psychological warfare if your opponent has a heart attack! :eek: :D

IMHO

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 2:28 am
by Bernie
IMHO, mines used during PBEM have their places. For example, a historic scenario, or pre-laid to defend from an assault. I'd also agree to mines laid down in a delay scenario. Other than that, mines laid during a game are fine with me. However, use reasonable limits. I might play one game against an opponent who bought nothing but arty, mines, strike elements and a HQ, but I'd never play a second game with them. :)

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 4:18 am
by Taglia
When I play I usually provide a limited "intel report" of my forces (and my enemy too) ... The attacker can say that "your spy has spotted an armored column with mechanized infantry ... and there is partisan activity in the area" ... and the defender can say "your advanced patrols have spotted some prepared AT positions and a minefield is *probably* placed there or there" ...

In this manner the game gets more balanced and more funny, especially for meeting engagements... It sounds okay for me that both forces would probably know something about thier enemies ... ok, maybe they can't know exactly how many engineers and how many Pz VI are there around, but they may be aware of heavy armored forces and heavy infantry displaced in the area ...

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 4:52 am
by OKW-73
I like mines, theres nothing better than hear your opponent cursing and seeing his plans of blitzkrieg crashing to single minebelt in right place :D and yes, sometimes in the heat of night it just scare s*it out of me when hearing that "KABOOOM!!" suddenly :) but thats war about...expect unexpected and you'll doing just fine ;) Also i dont thing prelaid mines in pbem are necesserily unrealistic if thats the point some of you are trying explain?

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 5:31 am
by G_X
My cat hates Mines. I play with the volume pretty high, so if I'm rolling allong and step on a mine, you can watch the cat jump up, literally, into the air.

I don't like mines because they tend to be exactly where I need to be. I prefer Barbed Wire and Dragons Teeth, still tough to do and to get around without engineers, but a little more fun.


As to the whole idea of getting an idea of what the enemy force will be like, I kinda wish some of the guys I play with would do that, it'd make my life so much easier, I always tend to put my tanks up against his AT guns, and my Infantry-killers against his tanks. Never can get it right.

G_X, sounds to me....

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 5:40 am
by Orzel Bialy
like you need to utilize more scouts and recon units. :D

Funny as Hell about your cat! Mine learned a long time ago that the computer room was nowhere to try and nap while I'm in there. :D

Mines - and other obstales

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 8:16 am
by Capt. Pixel
I managed to convince one opponent to completely avoid one of my flanks. Not because of mines, but because of Anti-tank obstacles.

He could, of course, see these already placed as he deployed, and it concerned him no end. :D Not knowing exactly what I was up to in that quadrant, he conceded the territory and let me have it. :cool:

The area was just as it appeared, a string of staggered AT obstacles. They wouldn't really have even slowed him down if he'd tried to navigate through them.

It sure didn't slow down my reactionary flanking forces BEHIND those AT obstacles. :D

Using his own fears and concerns, I denied him a third of the available front. This concentrated his forces under a more precise artillery bombardment (and priority targets), and gave me a free enemy flank to capitalize on. :cool:

I always consider that I'll have to deal with an enemy's mines, pre-deployed or game-deployed, in any battle. ;)