Page 1 of 1

Combat Report - Message Delay changing itself

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:40 am
by KPAX
I have a few PBEM games going on. I watch the combat report and take notes. I like a message delay of like 1.5 to 2.5.

Everything was going along well for all three PBEMs and the combat report. All of a sudden in (only) one of the games, the message delay switched to 0.1. Obviously it goes so fast it is worthless to watch. I went back in, re-set it to 1.5, went to watch it again and it switched back to 0.1. But, the funny thing is the other two PBEM’s combat report stays at the 1.5.

The “fast” message delay partner says he did not change it and it is fine for him.

What is going on which would auto change it and for just the one game?


RE: Combat Report - Message Delay changing itself

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:50 am
by Barb
The change can happen "in game" or "in turn".

The "in game" setting (through preferences on main screen) will affect new games.
The "in turn" preferences (next to the save button when in turn-giving orders) is the one used when replay is executed. This can be specific for each game.

However I had noticed too that it sometime switches to 0.0 delay for the messages while I had the setting for 1.5 - without anyone touching the settings (so this is possibly a bug).
You can help yourself with resetting delay back to your requested value while executing turn - but it will affect only next replay.

There is also a key-shortcut to increase delay of major messages - but I do not remember that unfortunately :)

RE: Combat Report - Message Delay changing itself

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:59 am
by jmalter
ctrl-S - increase msg delay 1 step
ctrl-F - decrease msg delay 1 step

iirc, these hotkeys work during a turn-replay


RE: Combat Report - Message Delay changing itself

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:00 am
by michaelm75au
You are getting different results between PBEMs because the settings are saved in the 'save' file, and get restore for the player running the game on loading.
The speeds can be different between the players, except if animations are on, the minimum setting is 0.1. A setting of 0.0 basically means no animations.

RE: Combat Report - Message Delay changing itself

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:40 am
by cverbrug
I agree, we had the same issue in our pbem game. Here is how we solved it.

1. Each time when starting WITP EA (when you are going to execute) be sure NOT to press the space bar or esc to skip the intros. Apparantly pressing the space bar also resets the delays.
2. Next time you open the game, make sure to go - in game- to the settings file (top left corner) and then check the delay of message settings, then save your game again. MAke sure your opponents does the same on his.

Next time you execute the game it should be fine (at least it worked for us)

Gallo