Page 1 of 1
How to repair the big guns on a BB?
Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:40 pm
by ww2pacnut
Ok, I have a british BB in Columbo with some damage to her big guns....No matter how I set up the repair options it never fixes these guns? Is the secret a different port or some other tactic (Repair ship, AE?) etc....
Thanks gang.
RE: How to repair the big guns on a BB?
Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:58 pm
by Alfred
RE: How to repair the big guns on a BB?
Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:19 pm
by Disco Duck
This is a link without the "search Yellow". Makes it a little easier to read.
tm.asp?m=2990845
RE: How to repair the big guns on a BB?
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:07 am
by LoBaron
And if you do, don“t hesitate to give that thread a friendly bump, since it seems current policy not to sticky anything anymore.
So sadly these wonderful pieces of work get lost too often.
RE: How to repair the big guns on a BB?
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:49 pm
by dr.hal
This has been a great tool, as it puts much of the manual and follow on materials all on one thread. What I found interesting is that a size 10 port (and size 9 is the max you can build) can only repair 250 (225 for a home grown size 9) level guns, meaning that if I've done my math right, virtually no eight inch gun, only 6 inch of less. Thus the only option in the game for a CA or above to repair guns is to go to a shipyard. Did I get that right or am I missing something? Hal
RE: How to repair the big guns on a BB?
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:07 pm
by Don Bowen
ORIGINAL: dr.hal
This has been a great tool, as it puts much of the manual and follow on materials all on one thread. What I found interesting is that a size 10 port (and size 9 is the max you can build) can only repair 250 (225 for a home grown size 9) level guns, meaning that if I've done my math right, virtually no eight inch gun, only 6 inch of less. Thus the only option in the game for a CA or above to repair guns is to go to a shipyard. Did I get that right or am I missing something? Hal
Yes and No. We went to a lot of trouble to separate "civilian" and "military" features in ports. A large port would naturally have a certain amount of facilities that could be used militarily. Hence the inherent capabilities of the port. But to make a port fully functional for large scale repair of warships, something else is needed.
This is why a large port with no specific military facilities is limited in repairs of big guns (and major damage too). One needs a shipyard of sufficient size or a large number of Naval Support units to get enough capacity for the really big stuff.
The use of Naval Support in AE also means you can shift your resources around. "Roll up" rear area bases and move them forward as needed. Not shipyards, they are major construction projects. But naval support, floating drydocks, repair ships, tenders. With enough of these (especially naval support) you can repair 'most anything.
But there are still limits. In World War II, how many locations could repair a damaged turret on a Yamato or Iowa?
RE: How to repair the big guns on a BB?
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:43 pm
by PaxMondo
For the Iowa class ... short list. And I believe they were all stateside ....
RE: How to repair the big guns on a BB?
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:05 pm
by dr.hal
Thanks Don. Certainly I've been in large ports and there is a difference between them and naval ports... the game is a compromise. Thanks for sharing. Hal