Page 1 of 1

Group / Fleetmovement

Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 2:14 pm
by HolyLight
Hi!

Is there a way to move EVERYONE that belongs to certain group / platoon / fleet or what its called with one click to different place so i dont have to waist time to click every "small group" and say go here... takes very very very long time to click everyone and move them....
Mean if i click one soldier group, example 4 small groups change they color to yellow... so how to move all those 4 groups AT ONCE


I think first and/or second version of Steel Panthers got such feature but now i havent found it... it feels strange... why game creation have go backwards in this movement area....?!?!?!

Well i think it hasnt.. i just havent found way...

So please help me

Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 3:06 pm
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Sounds like you have a bad case of RTS syndrome heheh.

The manual might clear it up faster, but you are thinking of platoon movement.
It is one of the menu choices on the right of the screen. Not sure the effect is what you are looking for though.

Most of us Steel Panthers nuts though, actually want to move each unit separately. Otherwise we would be playing RTS games instead:) .

The games AI would invariably send some units into locations we did not consider well advised if we used platoon movement to often.

Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 3:15 pm
by Warrior
Use the "A" (All) key before you move. Even with C & C off it will usually move a whole platoon, etc. (Not always, though, and don't forget to toggle it off again when you're finished.)

And like Les says, be aware that your troops may not move where you wanted them. :D

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 8:07 pm
by Jim1954
Don't ever try this tactic with a bunch of vehilces on a road through the woods. You might get the worst traffic jam you ever imagined and I don't think the "undo" button will help.

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 6:54 pm
by Bing
Most of the regulars stopped using group movement years ago. Seems to create more problems than it solves.

Since WAW has for several version morphs back highlighted the hexes of the other units in the formation belonging to the one currently with focus, its pretty easy to keep them together.

Per above, most of us prefer moving the unit where WE want it to go, not where the game engine thinks it oughter. It almost never does what I want it to do anyway, no reason it should start now.

Bing

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:31 pm
by Belisarius
If you really don't want to "waste" that time moving your units, you can assign them to the AI and give them objectives. Mind you, they won't fare better than with the "A" command. :D

Hey, at least it's squads! It's not like it's indivual soldiers or something. Unless you pull a Jess (or who was it again?) and drag 125 snipers into battle. :D :D

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:37 pm
by rbrunsman
I fully agree. Group movement is never a consideration for me. It may be tedious to move individual units before contact is made, but after that it would be suicide to let the computer move your units. I believe the computer takes the path of lease resistance as far as map obstacles are concerned but it doesn't care if it decides to move your units right in front of a known AT position if that is the easiest way to reach the destination you choose.

Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 3:29 am
by Bing
That brings up a point: Nomination for the dumbest drivers in the known world - the award goes to any driver in any vehicle in any game I am playing who can find a way to drive straight into the line of fire. Never fails. Always it is "Oh no, not again! You dumb #&*@ .. " then wham, bonk, jingle, jingle, the sound of metal bouncing.

I think it is the revenge of the nerds. They know I forget. They take advantage of me.

Bing

Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 3:04 pm
by Jim1954
They are probably busy talking on their cellski phoneskis.

Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 8:00 pm
by Bing
Maybe they got hit by a "Harpoonski", which is a bona fide from US naval airmen regarding the Russian equivalent. I believe there is also an "AMRAAMski", but not sure of this last. Harpoonski is for real.

I think too much hooch. Face it, history is not replete with accounts of battlefield DML/DUI citations. A drunken tank driver might get more done - not live as long - but while active could be a sixty ton gorilla.

Bing

Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 8:02 pm
by tracer
Originally posted by Bing
That brings up a point: Nomination for the dumbest drivers in the known world - the award goes to any driver in any vehicle in any game I am playing who can find a way to drive straight into the line of fire. Never fails. Always it is "Oh no, not again! You dumb #&*@ .. " then wham, bonk, jingle, jingle, the sound of metal bouncing.

I think it is the revenge of the nerds. They know I forget. They take advantage of me.

Bing
You're right: it never fails. As soon as I drop my guard, and attempt to move more than 'one hex at a time', my drivers will unfailingly 'loop' their course right into the LOS of the nearest ATG or tank! Its like they can't resist living dangerously :D

Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 9:18 pm
by rbrunsman
Some times though you have to blame yourself for picking the route --- I had just done a wonderful job of destroying "every" engineer that M4Jess had dropped in my backfield. In the next turn Infiltrators arrived so I raced my flametank to the rescue by just clicking on the other side of the previously "cleared" field (7 hexes) and WHAMM! right over the top of an overlooked engineer squad. That is a sure fire way to lose a tank. I just wonder how those engineers managed to attach a satchel charge to my tank as he went rumbling past them.:confused:

It is always best to go one or two hexes at a time. I learn that lesson every so often. :(

It would speed up movement if there was a rule that caused vehicles to stop for new orders as soon as they know they are spotted.

Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 12:05 pm
by Karnaaj
Originally posted by rbrunsman
It may be tedious to move individual units before contact is made, but after that it would be suicide to let the computer move your units. I believe the computer takes the path of lease resistance as far as map obstacles are concerned but it doesn't care if it decides to move your units right in front of a known AT position if that is the easiest way to reach the destination you choose.
You **** betcha. Even given a rather blatant demonstration, the AI will happily send *any* unit out to be slaughtered. ("Gee, Sarge, we just saw six squads destroyed by machine-gun fire directly in front of us." "So? Let's go out and see if we can spot the enemy..." Experience vs. pillboxes in... hm, forget the name, scenario at the start of Kursk - P-something-kova?)

I'll have to remember the "A"ll for next time I'm not in contact, tho. I recall some Ostfront river crossings where my Russians start scattered all over the map... be nice to save a few clicks there.

Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:57 pm
by chief
rbrunsman: I noticed that vehicles DO stop when spotted and awaits the decision of the unspotted gun/tank/unit decides to opfire or not, if not fired upon it then requires new orders and if still in sight of potential danger it will move only one hex and repeat the process. At least this is my observation during ON LINE battles. FWIW:) :) :cool:

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 7:43 am
by Irinami
**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 0:mad: :mad: :mad:

I HATE THIS!! I hate my freaking SS Ubermensch Project commanders!! "Der Fuhrer has commanded us to destroy these foolish Poles! Ah-ah-ah! Their tanks are no match for us... their soldiers are no match for us... so we must fight with Elan! Yes, we are ze 27th SS-Freiwilligen-Grenadier-Division Langemarck!! Our dashing uniforms unt brazen cavalier attitudes will make ze Poles cower in MY GOD MY FACE MY BEAUTIFUL FACE!!!"

"Looks like Gruppenfuhrer waltzed right in front of the Polish entrenchments."

"The ones we spotted last week."

"The ones we lost four Sdkfzw's to in under 3 minutes."

*sigh* :rolleyes:

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 8:03 am
by Ograbme
I don't have too much trouble with stupid vehicle movements(except in odd terrain where taking the quickest route involves moving in 153 different diections), but it happens to me frequently with infantry. I have been known on occasion to jump out of my chair, point at the screen and yell through clenched teeth "you deserved that!", occasionally while alone, when an infantry squad flees from some grenades(tossed by a squad I knew was there) into a flame tank(which I also knew about).