Page 1 of 6

OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:33 pm
by SuluSea
Hold onto your hats people in the Mid Atlantic and Northeast. I'm not far from Annapolis myself wishing all in the path the best...



http://www.cnbc.com/id/49578116



Image




RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:58 pm
by fodder
It's sitting off the coast here now. Not much happening on land today, a little wind and cloudy, yesterday we were lined up with a rain band and got four inches of rain in three hours. I did hear three KA-BOOMS as transformers blew, but the power never went out. As far as down here goes, it's a ho-hum storm.

RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:53 pm
by Rising-Sun
Look like it coming at me, living north of albany about 30mins away. So there no telling how strong this storm will be by the time it get here.

RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:53 pm
by Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: SuluSea

Hold onto your hats people in the Mid Atlantic and Northeast. I'm not far from Annapolis myself wishing all in the path the best...

Keep your head down and stay safe, SuluSea.

RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:02 pm
by MineSweeper
Feeling the effects now....50mph gusts and about 2 inches of rain so far....not too bad.
Taking out the Labrador to do his business is the worst part atm...

RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:29 pm
by zuluhour
Hello Sulu, not far from you (just north of Towson) we are prepared and await the storm.
peace-out

RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:33 pm
by JohnDillworth
I live in a coastal village on Long Island. I'm on a hill above a harbor. It's a good day to be on the hill. I work in NYC. I have a meeting with the FDNY Chief of Operations for NYC at 3PM Monday. I suspect the Chief will be busy and my meeting will be canceled. Forecast stays as predicted I won't make it in anyway. Might be candles , lights and books for a couple of days though...oh, and wine, we have wine.

RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:59 pm
by tc464
I'm in Lorton, VA just south of DC. Got a camp stove, food, water, candles, AR-15 ready to go. Just waiting to shoot me some looters [:D]

RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:22 am
by SuluSea
Thanks guys! [:)]

As many know the latest forecast has the Jersey Shore and coastal areas of New York getting the worst of the storm surge. I'm wishing you guys the best.

RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:34 pm
by floydg
Yeah, here on the NJ coast, we're ready to get slammed...

RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:18 pm
by DOCUP
Good luck guys.  Rainy here in WVA expecting snow and ice.

RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:49 pm
by House Stark
I'm in Maryland just outside DC. Currently in the middle-intensity range on all the storm tracking graphs, so I have no idea whether its going to be a lot of rain, or a lot of rain with sustained high winds. I hope Pepco (power utility) is ready; they can't claim ignorance of the storm this time around like they usually do.

RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:54 pm
by joey
I am in Delaware where just about every model is saying the eye should pass over Monday night. Should be an interesting next few days.

RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:59 pm
by Natali
I live in the desert and always wanted to know what having real weather would be like. Then I see things like this and change my mind.
Surely do hope everybody comes through safe and sound.

RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:41 pm
by joey
I have been through a few hurricanes. A lot of wind, rain, and an occasional tornado. Trees fall over, power goes out, and water, water everywhere. Lots of water. The wind is the most incredible. I enjoy going outside and just trying to stand up in the wind. Boy, that is so difficult!

RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:50 pm
by Canoerebel
Good luck to all our AE brethren in the Middle Atlantic states.  I hope Sandy isn't as tough as Bullwinkle's wife (a passing reference to his comment in a One-Eyed-Jacks thread).

Remember Hurricane Camille in 1969?  That lady was still at hurricane force when she reached Memphis, hundreds of miles inland. 

[X(]

Hurricanes are something to behold. 

RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:49 pm
by MineSweeper
Outer Banks weather update - nearly 12 inches of rain has fallen over the last two days...winds gusting to 60 Mph. Lost power for a about an hour, other than that alls well.

Stay safe for you guys in it's path



RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:09 pm
by ilovestrategy
Reminds me of when I was in the Marine Corps on a troop ship in a storm off of Korea. I remember being amazed that sailors get seasick. I was happy because not too many people went to the mess and I got to have seconds and thirds. I don't get seasick so my only problem was keeping my tray and cup from sliding off of the table.

Just how did you Navy boys do that anyway?

RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:27 pm
by denisonh
Same here, but instead of an AR-15 have an M-1D Garand and Lee-Enfield Mk III SMLE as I am a true WWII adherent.....
ORIGINAL: tc464

I'm in Lorton, VA just south of DC. Got a camp stove, food, water, candles, AR-15 ready to go. Just waiting to shoot me some looters [:D]

RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:41 pm
by 1EyedJacks
ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Good luck to all our AE brethren in the Middle Atlantic states.  I hope Sandy isn't as tough as Bullwinkle's wife (a passing reference to his comment in a One-Eyed-Jacks thread).

Remember Hurricane Camille in 1969?  That lady was still at hurricane force when she reached Memphis, hundreds of miles inland. 

[X(]

Hurricanes are something to behold. 

Preferably from a distance. I spent some time in the Philippines around Subic Bay in the early 70s and saw a few typhoons. I think the best place to behold one a hurricane/typhoon is from a place with good weather & sunshine...