Page 1 of 1
Petrograd bombardment
Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:37 am
by ulver
Amaranthus has just conquered Russia by bombarding Petrograd with a battleship reducing the only industrial city Russia has to 0 PP by 1914. That seems to me to pretty much win the war all by itself. We are playing the Belgian neutral scenario but it should work just as well in a normal game. I certinaly can’t see any way to defend a Russia with 14 fewer PP – what is the experience of other players? Is there a counter I’m missing?
Also shoulden’t it start out being called Sankt Petersborg?
RE: Petrograd bombardment
Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:07 am
by Amaranthus
The counter needs to centre around port facilities extending into the full length of the Gulf of Finland. That way the Russian battleship has a viable chance to defend its key port. Otherwise, I've found a strategy to brake the game open (against Russia, and potentially cascading to the whole Entente), I agree.
Kind of funny, given all the discussion people had about the low value of the fleets, and the number of times I've seen folks disband their fleets, only to allow me to rule the waves and the coastal ports as a result.
Yes, it should be Sankt Petersborg, but I don't think they had a mechanism in the game to change the name after 1917!
RE: Petrograd bombardment
Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:25 am
by Orm
Also shoulden’t it start out being called Sankt Petersborg?
Saint Petersburg changed name to Petrograd in 1914. And in 1924 to Leningrad.
So it is correct that the city is named Petrograd.
RE: Petrograd bombardment
Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:28 am
by Orm
Petrograd bombardment can be stopped by making the city a port. Something I think should be done anyway. Gulf of Finland should be home waters to Russia.
RE: Petrograd bombardment
Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:40 am
by warspite1
ORIGINAL: Orm
Petrograd bombardment can be stopped by making the city a port. Something I think should be done anyway. Gulf of Finland should be home waters to Russia.
warspite1
Nice solution
RE: Petrograd bombardment
Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:55 pm
by micha1100
ORIGINAL: Orm
Petrograd bombardment can be stopped by making the city a port. Something I think should be done anyway...
That should definitely be changed. Of course Petrograd had a fortress and a naval port (Kronstadt) to protect it from naval attacks and serve as a base.
Btw for those who care - the name of the city is actually Sankt-Peterburg which is German (the czar who build it was a Germanophile) and after the war against Germany started that name was deemed inappropriate so it was Russianised.