Page 1 of 1

This was my GOTY 2012

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:14 am
by Antiscamp
I made Distant Worlds my own personal Game of the Year 2012. This game was with me for the most part of 2012, although I only bought it in the beginning of december. I watched several Let's Plays of it on YouTube throughout the year. Since I bought it, it's supplied me with many happy hours of gaming and it's going to be one of my darlings for the coming year as well, especially with Shadows coming up.

Next year, I will be releasing a couple of big mods on ModDB and generate a lot of interest (I was mentioned in both the 2010 and 2011 top hundred mods on the site, where I got an Editor's Choice award for my Dibella's Watch mod for Oblivion. I hope to do the same with my next mod during 2013.), so I hope this article will get some attention as well. It will be up for the duration of 2013 and all who visit my profile on ModDB will see it.

Happy New Year, Distant Worlds!

RE: This was my GOTY 2012

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:41 pm
by StarLab
DW is also my personal GOTY as well.

I bought mine back in August and I haven't really played anything else since.

I've poured hundreds of hours into playing to this point and STILL come across the odd instance of, "Wow! I didn't know THAT! That's cool!" I can't think of any other game that has provided this after so much play.

Nice review on your blog, btw. :)

RE: This was my GOTY 2012

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:26 pm
by Cruis.In
same here bro, heres looking forward to shadows.

RE: This was my GOTY 2012

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:59 pm
by ASHBERY76
Silly media nonsence games of the year only last that in time.These types of games are for the decade and longer.

RE: This was my GOTY 2012

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:50 pm
by Cruis.In
i had to give up distant worlds. if i want to finish my space game haha

:(

RE: This was my GOTY 2012

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:56 pm
by kentcol
[&:]

RE: This was my GOTY 2012

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:37 pm
by SecuransRule
I agree completely. Nothing else I played in 2012 came close to DW. It was the most refreshingly different game I've played since UFO: Afterlight. In fact, thinking of games that were released this year, I give DW the nod over Civ5: Gods and Kings which I generally liked.

RE: This was my GOTY 2012

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:47 am
by StarLab
ORIGINAL: SecuransRule

I agree completely. Nothing else I played in 2012 came close to DW. It was the most refreshingly different game I've played since UFO: Afterlight. In fact, thinking of games that were released this year, I give DW the nod over Civ5: Gods and Kings which I generally liked.

I have almost 2,700 hours of play time into Civ 5 (incl G&K) to this point. However, that number hasn't climbed hardly at all since I bought DW. [8D]


RE: This was my GOTY 2012

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:16 pm
by SecuransRule
I hear you StarLab. Before DW, my favorite 4X sandbox games were Civ5 and Age of Wonders 2. Concerning Civ5, the diplomacy AI leaves a lot to be desired. In Civ5 you can be best friends with an AI civ and they will still stab you in the back without warning. In DW, the AI's act much more realistically and consistently, and the diplomatic heroes can be a huge benefit to your foreign policy. Age of Wonders 2 is my favorite Tolkien/Game of Thrones 4X sandbox, but it suffers from the problem I've seen in many 4X games of trying to defend your cities when you can't be everywhere at once. In DW, planetary defenses and ground troops provide a reasonably good level of assurance that your planets can hold out until help arrives.

Thus far, every time I think I might start to be getting tired of DW, something new and unusual happens in a game. My latest event was finding the Desolation Moon planet killer. OMG! I need a Darth Vader helmet!!! [:D]

Anyway, I think it is so cool that Matrix has the best 4X game (thus far) with Distant Worlds. I mean, the Grognard haven of Matrix is the last place I would have expected to find it. Glad to see that they have been expanding their horizons.

RE: This was my GOTY 2012

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:01 pm
by Antiscamp
I quite like Civ5 after Gods and Kings too, but I was really disappointed when it first appeared back in 2010. Something really good happened to the game between the initial release and Gods and Kings and I'm looking forward to its continued development. Maybe they should concentrate on diplomacy, as you mention. I've been playing Civ since the first one in 1991, and then on the old Amiga. Those were good times indeed. I modded Civ4 quite extensively too, but later went over to mod for the Elder Scrolls series. When I'm done with my current projects, I hope to do something for DW too.

RE: This was my GOTY 2012

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:12 pm
by StarLab
ORIGINAL: SecuransRule

Thus far, every time I think I might start to be getting tired of DW, something new and unusual happens in a game. My latest event was finding the Desolation Moon planet killer. OMG! I need a Darth Vader helmet!!! [:D]

Darth Vader was a schoolgirl compared to the reputation you'll earn by using that planet killer. [:D] Nasty!
ORIGINAL: Antiscamp

I quite like Civ5 after Gods and Kings too, but I was really disappointed when it first appeared back in 2010.

It was $60.00 just to go back to Civ IV while we waiting for them to finish developing the game. I think one more expansion should polish if off nicely though...

Hmm.. Better stay on topic here... Distant Worlds rocks! (Whew! lol)