Page 1 of 1
New Threat ID test
Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 5:03 am
by Sabre21
OK everyone
Now's the time to seperate the men from the boys:D I have attached a zip file of 10 JPG slides numbered 1 thru 10.
Lets see who can guess the correct type in each picture. Friend or Foe does not count...actual identification does. In slides 4 and 5, give yourself a bonus point if you correctly identify both types of items in the slide.
I will post the answers tomorrow on this thread. If someone wants a shot at it...feel free to post it below. Official NATO or WP designations or names are acceptable.
If you all like this...I have hundreds more from where these came from:)
Sabre21
Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 6:47 am
by NaKATPase
Slightly more difficult than the wireframes...
Here are my first guesses (without having consulted any references):
1) "Godzivka"?? Soviet 122mm SPA
2) PT-76
3) AH-64
4) The AFV is ASU-85... the plane is... TU-12?
5) Towed 105mm howitzer being towed by...??
6) Leopard I
7) M901
8) Current U.K. IFV (can't think of the name)
9) T-55
10) Belgian IFV??
Yikes, looking back at my answers I think I came up a bit short

Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 4:36 pm
by Sabre21
Yep..just slightly more difficult than wire diagrams:)
So here are the answers:
1) 2S1 (Nato designation) 122 SP is acceptable
2) 2S9 - this is a BMD variant with a 120mm mortar as a main gun
3) AH1F Cobra
4) ASU85 with AN-12 Cub's in the background
5) D30 122mm howitzer being pulled by a BTR152
6) Leopard 2
7) M901 ITV
8) MCV80 Warrior (British IFV)
9) T80
10) YPR765 - This is the Dutch variant with the 25mm turret, the Belgium variant uses the 12.7mm.
Well I hope this one wasn't too hard. When I tested the pilots in our unit, I would show a slide for 10 seconds then go on to the next slide. The tests would average 50 slides with 90% as a passing score. These tests occurred about once a month, on one occasion I put in 250 slides...I thought I was gonna get lynched for that one:)
Sabre21
Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 4:06 am
by IronManBeta
That was brutal! I think I need to go back to boot camp. I was OK for friend or foe, but that was about it! I got maybe 5 right by your criteria.
Cheers, Rob.
Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 12:27 pm
by Sabre21
Yea...I know that was a tough one. If anyone could have gotten a 70% I would probably have to buy them a beer:)
Sabre21
Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 10:45 pm
by Paul Wykes
Excellent, great fun.
I got 5 right, with the correct identification.
Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 5:03 am
by D A Sharp
90-100%
I couldn't tell wether it was the Dutch or Turk FMC MICV so i just put it down to Friendly Turk/Dutch. If this test was Friend-foe I'm 100%, if by nomenclature I'm at 90%