Page 1 of 2

What You Can Expect When Downloading SPWaW v4.0

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2000 2:28 am
by David Heath
Hi Guys

I got a handle on what the files should be about. You really should get a copy of GetRight now. Warm up the coffee.

The Upgrade from v2.0 to v4.0 180 - 200 Megs
The Full Game of v4.0 435 megs.

Don't hate us ...... we just trying to give you everything we can.

David

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2000 2:39 am
by Wild Bill
Oof!

Well at least I already know it's worth the effort to get the game. It really is. You don't want to miss it, whatever it takes.

Stepping from 2.3 to 4.0 is like moving from the first grade to your first year in college. Its that big of a change...

Wild Bill

------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2000 2:39 am
by Deathwatcher
COOL!!! Hopefully my ummm... 56 k won't take a long time gulp. I can hardly wait already and I just found out about this game yesterday after reading PC Gamer!

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2000 2:40 am
by McGib
Originally posted by David Heath:
...You really should get a copy of GetRight now.
David
GetRight? Is this a program David or a typo?
If it's a program what is it for?

------------------
McGib
Ready Aye Ready

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2000 2:44 am
by Mockingbird
Thanks

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2000 2:45 am
by Drake
Will sure did not think it was going to be that large. That alone shows how many changes you guys most have made.

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2000 2:49 am
by U235
David,

Will the patch work from 2.3 or will you have to patch from 2.0?

Download completed on the manual, better get reading now. Thanks for all the hard work. Image

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2000 2:54 am
by Antonius
Originally posted by David Heath:

...
The Upgrade from v2.0 to v4.0 180 - 200 Megs
The Full Game of v4.0 435 megs.

Don't hate us ...... we just trying to give you everything we can.

David
Can the upgrade be applied to the 2.3 version ?

If I download the upgrade, discover it needs 2.0 (which I have no more) and have to download the whole game, then I would hate you Image and send you my angry kids who will have no acces to the PC for the duration of the holy download

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2000 2:55 am
by Bonzo
Hello McGib. GetRight is a download manger, allowing restarts when you get cut off. There are a number of these programs out there. My personal preference is Net Vampire. People's systems vary. MANY people like GetRight. Me, it crashed my system. Your experience may differ. But no matter. The important thing is to get some form of download manager so that if you get cut off, you don't have to restart the download from scratch.

Bonzo

------------------
Robert (Bonzo) Lindsay, Coordinator
28th (North-west) Battalion Headquarters
http://dreadnaught.home.icq.com
nwbattalion@icqmail.com

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2000 2:57 am
by Keebler
All of the following programs will allow you to restart an interrupted download, monitor your connection, select from a list of sites for the best connection, and download one file from more than one site at the same time!!

GetRight
http://www.getright.com/

Download Accelerator
http://www.downloadaccelerator.com/

Gozilla
http://www.gozilla.com/

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2000 3:12 am
by Keebler
Note for anyone with a high bandwidth connection like Cable, DSL, ISDN, or better, I would recommend Download Accelerator. The great thing about this app is it can open multiple connections to several sites, and put the file together after it has downloaded.

In some cases DA can open up to four connections to the same site, getting the file in 4 parts and putting them together. The idea here is to beat any bandwidth limitations imposed by the host server. If the server limits a max of 33k/sec per connection, you can get 33x4 or 132k/sec!!!

This program will not help regular Modem users very much.
http://www.downloadaccelerator.com/Default.asp


Note because of the way this program works, you need to have space available on your HD of twice the size of the file being downloaded. The extra file parts are deleted once the final file is reconstructed by the app.

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2000 3:23 am
by Hauptmann6
BTW I don't recomend GoZilla, it is loaded with spyware.

Haupt

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2000 4:05 am
by Supervisor
Now watch those exaggerations, Kunel. Image More like skipping from 8th grade to college.
Originally posted by Wild Bill:
Oof!

Well at least I already know it's worth the effort to get the game. It really is. You don't want to miss it, whatever it takes.

Stepping from 2.3 to 4.0 is like moving from the first grade to your first year in college. Its that big of a change...

Wild Bill



------------------
Grenadier
SPWAW Beta Team

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2000 5:32 am
by Fabs
Would anyone please answer the query by Antonius about upgrading from 2.3 to 4?

I have upgraded to 2.3 (as I am sure many others will have), and I don't know a quick and easy way to go back to v2.

I hope it is just a mis-print!

------------------
Fabs

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2000 5:34 am
by McGib
Originally posted by Bonzo:
Hello McGib. GetRight is a download manger, allowing restarts when you get cut off. There are a number of these programs out there. My personal preference is Net Vampire. People's systems vary. MANY people like GetRight. Me, it crashed my system. Your experience may differ. But no matter. The important thing is to get some form of download manager so that if you get cut off, you don't have to restart the download from scratch.

Bonzo

Thanks Bonzo. I've got a cable modem so I think I'll just stick with it for now. I got the whole game with it, no problem so I dont think I'll have any with the patch.


------------------
McGib
Ready Aye Ready

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2000 9:05 am
by degen
Any recommendations for us losers with slow connections? I can't get any better than 28.8, so the download will kill me.

It's a bummer that ezgamer went out of business...

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2000 11:18 am
by crazyivan
hi guys great job on the manual like all the others i can bearly wiat for the game i also have v2.3 can i upgrade to 4 from this or like you siad do you need vs 2 only. Image

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2000 1:26 pm
by Colonel Klink
thanks for posting the manual. also, if you have a slow connection, try downloading one of the programs or do what i did:

i started the DL before hitting the sack but i left my email program open, checking for messages every few minutes. By the time i got home from work everything was DL'd and intact.

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2000 2:15 pm
by crazyivan
Originally posted by Fabs:
Would anyone please answer the query by Antonius about upgrading from 2.3 to 4?

I have upgraded to 2.3 (as I am sure many others will have), and I don't know a quick and easy way to go back to v2.

I hope it is just a mis-print!

FABS as i understand it in louie the toads post all is revealed you can add the pacth to any version Image


Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2000 5:44 pm
by Epicurius
To all with slow connections: Image

I have posted in other threads that I will burn a cd for the cost of the cd and shipping and then what ever you will feel as compensation for providing this service to you. I have a mass cd burner that I can start running and just let it run all night. I am not looking to get swamped, so I may turn some away, but I will do this to get the GREAT game out. Just email me at the following email address: srandall@fiberia.com

I hope this will help some out.

E