Bizarre and just plain unfathomable....
Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 8:04 am
Let me first preface this by stating that I have been playing UV since it was released. I have played through all of the patches and after going through the Coral Sea scenario twice, winning once decisively and once having my head handed to me, I have played scenario #17 exclusively since. I have had many "start overs" as the many patches have come out in order to take full use of the rule changes, OOB adjustments etc.
As you can see from my post count, I do a lot more playing than posting, not that posting a bunch is a bad thing mind you, it's just a matter of making the most out of my limited amount of "free" time.
I have seen some very bizarre happenings in the various versions/patches of UV. Some/most were bugs of one kind or another. Most squashed quickly, some have survived like cockroaches, others have leaped into existance as new patches have been released. Writing program code is one of the things I do for a living and I'm well aware how code changes can have unforseen "side-effects" in other areas of code in a program that was operating perfectly previous to the change.
I have witnessed teleporting and disappearing units from time to time. The most recent I will describe shortly. But the most predominant, ruinous problem I have encountered is the fact that the TF setting "Do Not React to the Enemy" does not mean that at all. Before another round of "use cautious commanders instead of aggressive commanders" starts up again, let me put it this way; You are the Theater Commander in this game. Although you can micromanage some aspects of the game, others you have only general control over. You are the one in charge of seeing the Big Picture. It is your strategic skill (or lack) that is being put to the test here. You set the Rules of Engagement for your TF commanders and it is up to them to carry those directives out.
In that sense, the directive "Do Not React..." would be analguous to telling the TF commander to not seek out hostile action, but leaving them free to respond to attacks (ie counter-punching). The setting "React to Enemy.." would be giving the green light for the TF commander to seek out and engage any sighted enemy they deem worth attacking. I have seen many times where even a cautious commander has reacted to enemy ships, always advancing towards the enemy to shorten the range, perhaps to allow the TBDs to carry torpedoes instead of bombs or whatever. My gripe with this arrangement is does not "feel right" to have to assign a cautious commander to lead the TF from point A to point B and then docking at a base in order to change over to an aggressive commander when you want to go on the offensive.
Here is a case that happened in my most recent Scn#17 that I simply cannot resolve the logic of the TF commander AI coding routines.
It's mid-September 1942, the Allies have been in control of Lunga and Tulagi since the beginning of the scenario (the Japs invaded Buna and Gili Gili instead of going after Lunga at the outset). Their carriers were caught and hammered, but not sunk, by Allied LBA from PM as they were supporting the twin invasions. There was a period of about 40 days where there was no Jap CV sightings in the area. This time was used to reinforce both Lunga and Tulagi. Lunga stands as level 5 Airfield, Level 2 Port, Tulagi at level 1 Airfield, level 6 Port. Lunga has one squadron of F4F-3 and one of F4F-4 available for CAP (survivors of the carriers Enterprise and Yorktown which were damaged in the area a few weeks before and could not sustain flight ops) Tulagi has one squadron of P-39D located there.
Subs patrolling the slot and PBYs on naval search spot multiple Jap TFs coming down the slot from the Shortlands. I have two CV TF available, containing the Hornet and commanded by Spruance, the other containing the Lexington and commanded by Fitch. If you picture a triangle of hexes with Tulagi being the top apex, Lunga the bottom left, the two TF are sitting in the bottom right hex of the triangle. Both Hornet and Lex have cap set to 80%, in addition, the F4F-4 squadron are flying LRCAP over the hex the two CVs are sitting in. Both TF are set to "Do not React..."
During the air phase of the turn, there are three Jap CV TF spotted within air range for the US CVs. The Lex group stands its ground, but Spruance reacts one hex......directly EAST. Not only reducing his cap from the CVs by roughly one-half but also willingly moving out from under the LRCAP from Lunga, completely exposing his TF leaving the CAP from Hornet as his only Fighter coverage. The air attacks that followed had predictable results, the small raid sent towards Lunga was engaged by the F4F-3 and only a small number of bombers got through, damage was minimal, the larger raid sent at the Lex TF was hammered by the Lex's fighters and the LRCAP from Lunga with substantial losses, no damage to the TF. The medium size attack hit the Hornet group, some were splashed, but three bombs and four torpedoes were more than enough to blow the Hornet out of the water. Interestingly enough Spruance did not go down with the ship.
I find this completely unfathomable because I cannot see how any coding routines would have evaluated the options available to Spruance, and would select a one hex move away from the enemy and reduce his effective CAP by two-thirds as an acceptable solution.
If the "Do Not React.." setting is truly not going to remove the TF commanders from reacting, then at least the reaction should make some sort of tactical sense.
As the smoke cleared on this debacle, I checked Lunga and found no trace of the F4F-4 squadron that had just been on LRCAP there. Checking at Noumea, I found the Enterprise was now down below 50% system damage (ie could operate aircraft again) and, yep, the F4F-4 squadron and magically teleported back to their home CV from Lunga to Noumea.
I know this was long and thank you for reading it. I would really appreciate any feedback on this, especially anyone very familiar with the coding routines that handle how the AI evaluates its situation (CAP strength, having or not having LRCAP coverage etc) without giving away any restricted information of course.
As you can see from my post count, I do a lot more playing than posting, not that posting a bunch is a bad thing mind you, it's just a matter of making the most out of my limited amount of "free" time.
I have seen some very bizarre happenings in the various versions/patches of UV. Some/most were bugs of one kind or another. Most squashed quickly, some have survived like cockroaches, others have leaped into existance as new patches have been released. Writing program code is one of the things I do for a living and I'm well aware how code changes can have unforseen "side-effects" in other areas of code in a program that was operating perfectly previous to the change.
I have witnessed teleporting and disappearing units from time to time. The most recent I will describe shortly. But the most predominant, ruinous problem I have encountered is the fact that the TF setting "Do Not React to the Enemy" does not mean that at all. Before another round of "use cautious commanders instead of aggressive commanders" starts up again, let me put it this way; You are the Theater Commander in this game. Although you can micromanage some aspects of the game, others you have only general control over. You are the one in charge of seeing the Big Picture. It is your strategic skill (or lack) that is being put to the test here. You set the Rules of Engagement for your TF commanders and it is up to them to carry those directives out.
In that sense, the directive "Do Not React..." would be analguous to telling the TF commander to not seek out hostile action, but leaving them free to respond to attacks (ie counter-punching). The setting "React to Enemy.." would be giving the green light for the TF commander to seek out and engage any sighted enemy they deem worth attacking. I have seen many times where even a cautious commander has reacted to enemy ships, always advancing towards the enemy to shorten the range, perhaps to allow the TBDs to carry torpedoes instead of bombs or whatever. My gripe with this arrangement is does not "feel right" to have to assign a cautious commander to lead the TF from point A to point B and then docking at a base in order to change over to an aggressive commander when you want to go on the offensive.
Here is a case that happened in my most recent Scn#17 that I simply cannot resolve the logic of the TF commander AI coding routines.
It's mid-September 1942, the Allies have been in control of Lunga and Tulagi since the beginning of the scenario (the Japs invaded Buna and Gili Gili instead of going after Lunga at the outset). Their carriers were caught and hammered, but not sunk, by Allied LBA from PM as they were supporting the twin invasions. There was a period of about 40 days where there was no Jap CV sightings in the area. This time was used to reinforce both Lunga and Tulagi. Lunga stands as level 5 Airfield, Level 2 Port, Tulagi at level 1 Airfield, level 6 Port. Lunga has one squadron of F4F-3 and one of F4F-4 available for CAP (survivors of the carriers Enterprise and Yorktown which were damaged in the area a few weeks before and could not sustain flight ops) Tulagi has one squadron of P-39D located there.
Subs patrolling the slot and PBYs on naval search spot multiple Jap TFs coming down the slot from the Shortlands. I have two CV TF available, containing the Hornet and commanded by Spruance, the other containing the Lexington and commanded by Fitch. If you picture a triangle of hexes with Tulagi being the top apex, Lunga the bottom left, the two TF are sitting in the bottom right hex of the triangle. Both Hornet and Lex have cap set to 80%, in addition, the F4F-4 squadron are flying LRCAP over the hex the two CVs are sitting in. Both TF are set to "Do not React..."
During the air phase of the turn, there are three Jap CV TF spotted within air range for the US CVs. The Lex group stands its ground, but Spruance reacts one hex......directly EAST. Not only reducing his cap from the CVs by roughly one-half but also willingly moving out from under the LRCAP from Lunga, completely exposing his TF leaving the CAP from Hornet as his only Fighter coverage. The air attacks that followed had predictable results, the small raid sent towards Lunga was engaged by the F4F-3 and only a small number of bombers got through, damage was minimal, the larger raid sent at the Lex TF was hammered by the Lex's fighters and the LRCAP from Lunga with substantial losses, no damage to the TF. The medium size attack hit the Hornet group, some were splashed, but three bombs and four torpedoes were more than enough to blow the Hornet out of the water. Interestingly enough Spruance did not go down with the ship.
I find this completely unfathomable because I cannot see how any coding routines would have evaluated the options available to Spruance, and would select a one hex move away from the enemy and reduce his effective CAP by two-thirds as an acceptable solution.
If the "Do Not React.." setting is truly not going to remove the TF commanders from reacting, then at least the reaction should make some sort of tactical sense.
As the smoke cleared on this debacle, I checked Lunga and found no trace of the F4F-4 squadron that had just been on LRCAP there. Checking at Noumea, I found the Enterprise was now down below 50% system damage (ie could operate aircraft again) and, yep, the F4F-4 squadron and magically teleported back to their home CV from Lunga to Noumea.
I know this was long and thank you for reading it. I would really appreciate any feedback on this, especially anyone very familiar with the coding routines that handle how the AI evaluates its situation (CAP strength, having or not having LRCAP coverage etc) without giving away any restricted information of course.