ALLIED side MP AAR Spearhead v Reich
Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:30 pm
Thought I would put up a few posts to explain the Allied side of this MP game, played between Yakstock and myself. The Axis side can be found under Yakstock's thread. You're probably best reading that first as Yakstock does brilliant AARs and all the background etc is explained there. These posts on my part are sadly a slightly more slapdash affair, but I hope they make reading Gary's AAR (which I'm not reading until we've finished) more fun.
Gary - YAKSTOCK - should not read this, as they will contain my tactics and some positions which he'd only be cheating himself to have access to.....
My 'analysis' of this scenario is based on playing it through a few times against the AI, one full time as Allies, once as Axis. It's a great scenario, like the Bulge in miniature, I think, with the same dynamics and issues that the entire Bulge offensive had - basically, thin Allied starting cover, strong Axis start, difficult terrain, difficult supply lines for the Axis as the advance progresses, plus gradual build-up of Allied superiority in men and materiel over time. As with the Bulge generally, the Allies start on the defensive, overwhelmed by the Axis attacks, then gradually build strength to a position where they can hopefully counter.
In this scenario I know, from the 'black' intelligence gained by playing the AI and from the intel reoprts, that there's a big Axis advance coming at me. The snap below gives my starting position and orders.
As can be seen, I start with 3 groups of units, comprising about 1,300 men and some armour. The armour is mostly Stuart tanks though. I have 15 of them in TF Kane. Plus there are some M8s. My feeling is that this is not a strong force to oppose what's coming. My experience with Stuarts in the past has been that they're useful (for a while) against infantry in defence, useful for recon, but if he comes with armour then they will perish quickly. Given the nature of the map - which allows wide flanking opportunities for both sides - I decide that if I hold in the positions I start with (I believe they are the historical positions which obtained when the Axis attacked 'Parker's Crossroads' [and Parker himself quickly died] at Baraque de Fraiture) then I will likely be cut-off and will not be able to extricate the cut-off units. So I decide to pull back to more defensible positions at Grandmenil, Manhay and Vaux-Chavanne. I debated with myself whether to leave a screen to delay him, but decided that it was just as likely he wouldn't even try to attack Baraque de Fraiture head-on (rendering the screen there useless) and more likely that anything I left behind would get surrounded and surrender. For the next 2 days or so I basically have the men on the map to hold him and I don't want to lose any. So I will pull all back. There's a valuable arty asset in TF Parker that I especially wish to ensure gets well back.

Gary - YAKSTOCK - should not read this, as they will contain my tactics and some positions which he'd only be cheating himself to have access to.....
My 'analysis' of this scenario is based on playing it through a few times against the AI, one full time as Allies, once as Axis. It's a great scenario, like the Bulge in miniature, I think, with the same dynamics and issues that the entire Bulge offensive had - basically, thin Allied starting cover, strong Axis start, difficult terrain, difficult supply lines for the Axis as the advance progresses, plus gradual build-up of Allied superiority in men and materiel over time. As with the Bulge generally, the Allies start on the defensive, overwhelmed by the Axis attacks, then gradually build strength to a position where they can hopefully counter.
In this scenario I know, from the 'black' intelligence gained by playing the AI and from the intel reoprts, that there's a big Axis advance coming at me. The snap below gives my starting position and orders.
As can be seen, I start with 3 groups of units, comprising about 1,300 men and some armour. The armour is mostly Stuart tanks though. I have 15 of them in TF Kane. Plus there are some M8s. My feeling is that this is not a strong force to oppose what's coming. My experience with Stuarts in the past has been that they're useful (for a while) against infantry in defence, useful for recon, but if he comes with armour then they will perish quickly. Given the nature of the map - which allows wide flanking opportunities for both sides - I decide that if I hold in the positions I start with (I believe they are the historical positions which obtained when the Axis attacked 'Parker's Crossroads' [and Parker himself quickly died] at Baraque de Fraiture) then I will likely be cut-off and will not be able to extricate the cut-off units. So I decide to pull back to more defensible positions at Grandmenil, Manhay and Vaux-Chavanne. I debated with myself whether to leave a screen to delay him, but decided that it was just as likely he wouldn't even try to attack Baraque de Fraiture head-on (rendering the screen there useless) and more likely that anything I left behind would get surrounded and surrender. For the next 2 days or so I basically have the men on the map to hold him and I don't want to lose any. So I will pull all back. There's a valuable arty asset in TF Parker that I especially wish to ensure gets well back.











