Page 1 of 1
Game Start-up Time
Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:27 pm
by Osito
How long does it take you to load the game? I'm not talking about loading saves, but starting the game initially: you know, feeding the Giant Kaltors and so on.
I just timed it, and it takes me about 100 seconds. My system is reasonably quick, so I wanted to know whether it takes about the same length of time for everyone else, or whether this is something I need to investigate.
Osito
RE: Game Start-up Time
Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:29 pm
by Bingeling
100 seconds feels about right. It is a significant amount of time.
RE: Game Start-up Time
Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:42 pm
by drillerman
Yes, takes a long time to start first time but subsequent starts are a lot faster!
RE: Game Start-up Time
Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:08 pm
by Cauldyth
Yeah, sounds about right. That's why I leave DW running for days at a time! [:D]
RE: Game Start-up Time
Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:11 pm
by Osito
Thank you all for the confirmation.
RE: Game Start-up Time
Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:27 pm
by invaderzim
ORIGINAL: Cauldyth
Yeah, sounds about right. That's why I leave DW running for days at a time! [:D]
Does this cause weird things to happen? I swear DW is buggier if I don't restart it occasionally. But I can't prove it either way. [&:]
RE: Game Start-up Time
Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:19 am
by scotten_usa
ORIGINAL: invaderzim
ORIGINAL: Cauldyth
Yeah, sounds about right. That's why I leave DW running for days at a time! [:D]
Does this cause weird things to happen? I swear DW is buggier if I don't restart it occasionally. But I can't prove it either way. [&:]
If my screen saver kicks in or I lock my Win7 PC, DW crashes. [&:]
RE: Game Start-up Time
Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:15 am
by maeschba
ORIGINAL: ScottenChi
If my screen saver kicks in or I lock my Win7 PC, DW crashes. [&:]
Fortunately not if you save and exit to the game's main menu before you go AFK.
RE: Game Start-up Time
Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:27 am
by jesuswhywhy
lol, yeah well.. i have my ds on ssd to no avail haha.. to be fair im in no rush to load it up, im happy to browse at something and wait for it to pop up
RE: Game Start-up Time
Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:35 am
by Bingeling
ORIGINAL: ScottenChi
ORIGINAL: invaderzim
ORIGINAL: Cauldyth
Yeah, sounds about right. That's why I leave DW running for days at a time! [:D]
Does this cause weird things to happen? I swear DW is buggier if I don't restart it occasionally. But I can't prove it either way. [&:]
If my screen saver kicks in or I lock my Win7 PC, DW crashes. [&:]
Is there a crash box mumbling something about XNA? If so, changing to another screen saver may help.
RE: Game Start-up Time
Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:45 am
by Buio
Took 49s to start for me after a reboot. I'm running Distant Worlds from an SSD.
RE: Game Start-up Time
Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:56 am
by Darkspire
ORIGINAL: Buio
Took 49s to start for me after a reboot. I'm running Distant Worlds from an SSD.
Warp speed [8D] DW for me takes 151 seconds to load. I remember the days loading 'Attack of the Mutant Camels' on my 130XE would take so long that you could walk up the shop and back and it might be done when you got back, got to love the advances in tech [:D]
Darkspire
RE: Game Start-up Time
Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:31 am
by Buio
I have some games on the SSD, but have to be mindful of space. Most games don't benefit much from an SSD anyway, I guess it's CPU limited when setting up data from loading or something like that. Very nice with OS and normal work though.
RE: Game Start-up Time
Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:55 am
by jesuswhywhy
tempted to change my stock clock to 4.4 again hmmm
edit: done 4.4 now no massive change, but a bit lol
RE: Game Start-up Time
Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:24 pm
by historyis
On my non-SSD HD, it takes about 70 seconds.
RE: Game Start-up Time
Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:04 am
by feelotraveller
You guys make me want to cry.

It takes my system approx. 300 seconds. Not complaining too much since it is about 40% of the time it took for the initial Legends release on the same machine. [:'(]