Page 1 of 1
Company unit purchases
Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 6:08 pm
by 3/2 ACR
when you want to purchase company unit formations and don't like the combination that the computer picks click out of that screen then go back and the computer will give a different combination of units every time you click out of that screen then you go back to it
Rick 3/2 ACR
Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 10:08 pm
by bigtroutz
umm, are you sure? seems like it has a standard default, and when you click one of the options and change the default, it just changes it back to the default when you perform the sequence you describe.
lets try an example...enlighten me !
clarify
Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 10:16 pm
by 3/2 ACR
you must go all the way out of the menu back to say the root menu then you click back on the company unit that you want purchase
Rick 3/2 ACR
Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 7:54 am
by Major Destruction
Don't try this with Rarity set to ON or eventually you'll eliminate all of your units.
Better to buy the Company and then delete the platoons you don't want. Replace them with platoons you prefer.
Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 4:26 pm
by maniacalmonkey
Although I've given up on Command Control (three orders for a tank platoon - sheesh, they won't get far) I was wondering - if you delete platoons from a company, and add new ones, will these use the company HQ as theirs? How about platoons added to a full company? ie. does a company HQ has a certain number of "slots" or will it just take command over all platoon-level formations under it?
Also, is it possible to change platoon formations? I noticed for instance that the Ranger platoon tends to be 2 Garand 2 Thompson squads - when you click squad options, all four squads change and become the same (garand or thompson). Is there a way to change individual squads/vehicles within a platoon? Or company for that matter...
Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 7:09 pm
by Jim1954
Originally posted by maniacalmonkey
Although I've given up on Command Control (three orders for a tank platoon - sheesh, they won't get far) I was wondering - if you delete platoons from a company, and add new ones, will these use the company HQ as theirs? How about platoons added to a full company? ie. does a company HQ has a certain number of "slots" or will it just take command over all platoon-level formations under it?
Also, is it possible to change platoon formations? I noticed for instance that the Ranger platoon tends to be 2 Garand 2 Thompson squads - when you click squad options, all four squads change and become the same (garand or thompson). Is there a way to change individual squads/vehicles within a platoon? Or company for that matter...
When you delete and repurchase units in a formation (company sized is about the easiest) any unit you repurchase will go under the control of the original formation commader. This is useful in a number of ways, such as addind a mechanized infantry platoon to that armor company. For instance if you delete a 4 unit armor platoon and replace it with an 8 or 9 unit mech inf plt. ,I believe the whole section will be inserted including any units above the original 4. You can do this with any formation that has multiple unit Id's in it, like a company formation is listed B0, C0, D0, E0 etc. Your best bet is just to open up something like a campaign such as the WW2 long and experiment a little.
The only way to change units that are not configured like that is to use the editor.
Hope this helps.

For C&C and Rally
Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 7:43 pm
by challenge
The new unit doesn't fall into the old chain of command as far as I can tell. It takes the rplaced unit's location and formation number, but when it rallys it goes from the platoon to the overall A0 command unit with out sliding through the company command level.
For C&C the same is true. I haven't figured out why this is so, but that's the way it seems to work. I haven't figured out a way to make a platoon part of a company yet. I can assign units to a different commander, but I don't see how to do formations without going through the editor in some way.
Maniacalmonkey: I prefer playing with C&C on. For one thing it makes it so you have to plan ahead moving into a battle. You can't use any and every unit or formation as a quick response to the unexpected. I guess I just like to work a little harder for a more challenging victory.:p
Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 8:08 pm
by Jim1954
You might be right about the chain of command. I always rally my troops manually until they won't rally any more even before the end of the turn. I never pay too much attention to the auto rally messages. Maybe I should.
Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 8:07 pm
by Irinami
The only way I've really seen to customize squads within a platoon is upgrades after a battle. This also allowed me to get a core force of the size I wanted--playing Germany, I allowed myself a slightly more difficult battle by buying a whole Company of 8-Rad's, and upgrading them battle-by-battle to Czech-stolen 35/38t's and PzIVc/d's. Kept a team of 8-Rads, though; for one, I wanted to change 2 of my baby-PaK's to 88's, and they also make good infantry support vehicles.

(The kills on some of these 8-Rad's are impressive already.)
Uh... where was I? Right, so if you want a Ranger Pl with half Garands and half Thompsons, the only way to do this AFAIK is to change it after the first battle. Think of it this way:
Points are your prestige or "weight" as a commander. At first, you just get what the Army sends you. As you succeed more (or fail some), they let you choose more and more what you believe you need, instead of their general stuff... and as you become an experienced commander, you get more weight to throw around (maybe you saved the Div XO's life?

)