Page 1 of 1

Game Files Order of Installation Question

Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:42 pm
by Scrubjay
In regards to Distant Worlds am a complete noob, so of course I have a few questions about installing the game. I did a quick look on the forum, but I didn't see anything. If it is there, let me know and I will look closer.

I downloaded 4 games, Distant Worlds, Legends, Return of the Shakturi, and Shadows. There are patches out there too (1.0.7.1 and 1.9.0.6 for shadows), my question is what order should I install the game? Does the order of installation make a difference?

My guess is:
1) Distant Worlds
2) Return of the Shakturi
3) Legends
4) 1.0.7.1 Patch (? is this included in Shadows?)
5) Shadows
6) 1.9.0.6 Shadows patch.
7) Am I missing anything else?

The main reason I am asking is that there was one game I tried to play which had multiple expansions and patches, and if you did not install it in the exact correct order the game would appear to sort of work, but it had problems as the files were not correct. I am trying to avoid that here.

I am thankful for the other threads about playing the game for the first time, and I agree that the thread that references the useful tutorials should be stickied.

Thank you for your time.



RE: Game Files Order of Installation Question

Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:16 pm
by feelotraveller
Your list would probably work but you do not need step 4).

Pretty sure step 7) = have fun. [;)]

RE: Game Files Order of Installation Question

Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:30 pm
by Scrubjay
Thank you Feelotraveller, it is appreciated.


RE: Game Files Order of Installation Question

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:07 am
by invaderzim
So would the best installation order look like this?

1) Distant Worlds
2) Return of the Shakturi
3) Legends
4) Shadows
5) 1.9.0.6 Shadows patch.

I assumed that installing Shadows would include the DW 1.0.7.1 patch as well as all the patches to the expansions.

RE: Game Files Order of Installation Question

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:50 am
by michaelm75au
Only thing I would mention is IF there are any data changes (inc images) in DW/RTS/L patches, they might not necessarily be in the Shadows expansion (which assumes that all previous games installed for data purposes).

Only Code Force or Matrix could answer that, I believe.

RE: Game Files Order of Installation Question

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:36 pm
by necaradan666
nah, they're all inclusive. you don't need to patch until the end