Page 1 of 2

Panzer Quizz

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 10:30 pm
by Alexei
Hi all,

Last summer I visited our exceptional (a little national pride :) ) "Musée des Blindés de Saumur" (no need to translate I guess ;) - BTW the url is http://www.musee-des-blindes.asso.fr/bl ... ollect.htm). In the museum reserves, I noticed two unidentified tanks. Now I would really like to know what you think they are!

No idea about the first one... Is it even WWII? Strange gun anyhow.
The second one... well I have the beginning of an idea; to give you as many signs as I have, I measured the caliber of the gun: a bit less than 50mm.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 10:57 pm
by Voriax
Hello

That assault gun is Swedish Stormartillerivagn m/43, 105mm gun, in use until 1973. link: http://www.foreningenp5.com/stormartillerivagn_m_43.htm
in swedish though

That other one looks familiar but it's name escapes me now.
updat: looks like a R-35 variant, with cupola removed and longer gun.

Voriax

Well to start

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 11:02 pm
by Don Doom
The chassie is based on the cech 38 series, the rest looks like a post war addon. Russian maybe? The gun mount reminds me of the su-85,100 tanks.:)

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 11:25 pm
by Kevin E. Duguay
I agree about the first, Swedish.

Could the second be an R35 mounting a Russian 45mm tank gun? I belive a few of these were converted by the Rumainians durring WWII.;) :)

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 11:33 pm
by Belisarius
The first one's definitely a Stormartillerivagn m/43. Here's a pic of what a helthy one looks like..

Image

But the second one I'm a bit curious about. Almost...aaalmost looks kinda BT-ish..the turret does look Russian :p

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 11:33 pm
by Voriax
Originally posted by Kevin E. Duguay

Could the second be an R35 mounting a Russian 45mm tank gun? I belive a few of these were converted by the Rumainians durring WWII.;) :)
Was my thought also..however the gun seemed odd. now if you look at this pic: http://www.armata.home.ro/weapons/armour/R35-45.htm
you see that the recoil absorber below the gun doesn't look the same..might be that some kind of covering is missing from that museum tank.

Voriax

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 11:44 pm
by Belisarius
Whoops.. pardon my french. That's a R35, at least the tracks, mudguards, front "glacis" and driver's visor check out. :cool:

The turret still seems odd. If it's the 45mm conversion, it lacks the commander's cupola, and the mantlet is more square-ish, IIRC? :confused:

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 12:12 am
by Don Doom
Ok, I surrender on that one. the seconded one I could only hazard a guess on, like one of the french tanks that was modified just before D-Day??:)

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 12:40 am
by Warrior
You guys are all fantastic! I love it how quickly we get information.

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 4:29 am
by Kevin E. Duguay
After looking at the other picture and reading the text posted by Voriax I still stand by my original post. This is a Rumanian conversion. The armament does have a funny look to it though. Maybe its a Schneider 47mm instead of the Russian 45mm? This would make it quite the rare bird indeed!!:eek:

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 12:28 pm
by Alexei
Originally posted by REMF
You guys are all fantastic! I love it how quickly we get information.
Waow even more than that... I am completely stunned :) :) !
Thanks for all these fruitful infos !!!

Now I have just to hope that both tanks will be restored and exposed... At least the second one, which surely deserves it!

Thanks again,

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 7:10 pm
by challenge
The amount of information at the fingertips of people on this site never ceases to amaze me. I hope they at least put a coat of paint on these things. Old armor, like old warhorses, should be treated a bit better than the glue factory or the rust bucket.

Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 5:00 pm
by Warhorse
I AM NOT OLD!!:D :D :D Sorry....

Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 7:36 pm
by challenge
Sheesh, take it personal why don'cha...:eek:

So you want a new coat of paint? :D

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:10 am
by Voriax
Hehe..had to dig a bit to find this topic...but I stumbled upon the following:
http://www.webone.com.au/~myszka/Arab/G ... rabR35.htm

Voriax

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 5:00 am
by Don Doom
Thanks:D

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 11:36 am
by rbrunsman
I'm just pissed off that I was in France in September, went to that museum and didn't know you could wander around in the back lot like Alexei did!

I have pictures of several tanks there if anyone wants to see them but I don't know how to attach images to posts.

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:09 pm
by Alexei
Sure rbrunsman you can wander around, just beware not to be locked out when they close the external door, as I did :) !
Lots of strange stuff to see...

BTW I don't remember how I attached the image but it was not what I intended to do... Actually I wanted to have those photos part of my post, without the need to click to see them. Does somebody know how I should proceed... for the next quizz ;) ?

Thanks,

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:09 pm
by Alexei
Originally posted by Voriax
Hehe..had to dig a bit to find this topic...but I stumbled upon the following:
http://www.webone.com.au/~myszka/Arab/G ... rabR35.htm

Voriax
Thanks for the link Voriax !

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 5:44 pm
by Warhorse
Originally posted by challenge
Sheesh, take it personal why don'cha...:eek:

So you want a new coat of paint? :D
Sure!!! Feld Grau please.:D