Page 1 of 2

The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:46 pm
by wings7
I'm sure we have a few on-line players on this forum...what strategy games are worth playing, free or paid? Thanks!

Patrick

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:08 pm
by wings7
I guess there are not many on-line players here? [&:]

Patrick

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:37 pm
by Twotribes
I play MMOrpgs never found an online strat that wasn't swarm and win.

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:57 pm
by Orm
The only on-line game I play at the moment is World of Tanks.

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:43 pm
by ezzler
Only play wars of the roses.

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:27 pm
by sterckxe
Currently playing Diplomacy online at playdiplomacy.com (free)

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:30 pm
by Josh
Not exactly a strategy game but I thoroughly enjoyed "Iron Front Liberation 1944". It's a hardcore FPS (like the ARMA series) set in WWII, there is an add-on now set in Normandy.
Nothing like sitting with your team in a tank online, one driver, one loader, one gunner, one commander. Very slow paced but extremely tense and exciting. I remember using a Russian AT gun waiting in ambush for the German panzers... I could hear them coming closer and couldn't see them yet... nailbiting guaranteed.
Haven't played it in a while though because that cursed Advanded Tactics Gold sucks up al my playing time.

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:45 pm
by wings7
Thank you all for your game info, I will check them out this weekend! I started playing "Grepolis" a few days ago, the jury is still out on this one. I will let you know about it in due time...thanks again for all your info!

Patrick

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:01 pm
by wings7
ORIGINAL: Twotribes

I play MMOrpgs never found an online strat that wasn't swarm and win.

Which MMOrpgs do you play? Thanks in advance!

Patrick

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:10 pm
by Twotribes
I played Everquest for 7 years it died out, they had a sequel Everquest 2 never went to it. I hear Everquest the original is making a comeback. I play Dungeons and Dragons online ( DDO for short) have for 7 years. I am currently playing Neverwinter by Cryptic. Neverwinter is a free game you can spend money to buy stuff but you don't need to everything can be gotten eventually even by one not spending a dime. DDO is free but there is content you must pay to play. Not sure about the come back Everquest.

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:25 pm
by wings7
ORIGINAL: Twotribes

I played Everquest for 7 years it died out, they had a sequel Everquest 2 never went to it. I hear Everquest the original is making a comeback. I play Dungeons and Dragons online ( DDO for short) have for 7 years. I am currently playing Neverwinter by Cryptic. Neverwinter is a free game you can spend money to buy stuff but you don't need to everything can be gotten eventually even by one not spending a dime. DDO is free but there is content you must pay to play. Not sure about the come back Everquest.

Thank you for your game recommendation info! I will definitely check them all out! Happy Gaming to you! [:)]

Patrick

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:46 am
by Boomer78
I remember watching the battle of Caldari Prime (Eve: Online) on youtube. Holy god... it's just too much for me, so overwhelming, the idea of thousands of players blasting each other and their very expensive ships to pieces. I'm getting a little too old for that sort of thing, but it was amazing to watch.

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:39 pm
by wings7
ORIGINAL: Boomer78

I remember watching the battle of Caldari Prime (Eve: Online) on youtube. Holy god... it's just too much for me, so overwhelming, the idea of thousands of players blasting each other and their very expensive ships to pieces. I'm getting a little too old for that sort of thing, but it was amazing to watch.

Thanks for post...are you playing any on-line strategy games at the moment?

Patrick

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:48 pm
by Boomer78
Oh, no. I'm not twitchy enough for that kind of reflex. Only thing I've played online recently was DayZ. Got sniped and camp-spawn killed enough to learn that I'm getting too old for that sort of thing.

DayZ and its parent game, Arma 2, are both really good at basic tactical strategy. I don't know if your scope goes higher to a planning or operational level, but for boots on the ground stuff, Arma 2 and its various mods will do the trick. Online play is usually stable and has some decent co-op.


RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:18 pm
by wings7
ORIGINAL: Boomer78

Oh, no. I'm not twitchy enough for that kind of reflex. Only thing I've played online recently was DayZ. Got sniped and camp-spawn killed enough to learn that I'm getting too old for that sort of thing.

DayZ and its parent game, Arma 2, are both really good at basic tactical strategy. I don't know if your scope goes higher to a planning or operational level, but for boots on the ground stuff, Arma 2 and its various mods will do the trick. Online play is usually stable and has some decent co-op.


Thanks for that [:D], I have an eclectic taste for games, I enjoy all the genres. I just wish I had the time and talent to create games. I will check out your recommendations this weekend and Happy Gaming to you!

Patrick

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:45 pm
by Josh
And don't forget ARMA III is just around the corner, a paid beta is available at Steam, or early access whatever they call it.

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:20 am
by demyansk
I think WarThunder is great, flight sim

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:36 am
by wings7
ORIGINAL: Josh

And don't forget ARMA III is just around the corner, a paid beta is available at Steam, or early access whatever they call it.

That is good to know, thanks!

Patrick

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:38 am
by wings7
ORIGINAL: demjansk

I think WarThunder is great, flight sim

I will check this out, thank you for that!

Patrick

RE: The Best Current Strategy Games On-Line

Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:36 am
by demyansk
Patrick,

The warthunder game http://warthunder.com/ is very similar to those who play world of tanks but its a different game then the new release of world of planes. It's free and the scenery is OUTSTANDING!!!!!! You can buy planes and you don't have to pay a DIME to play this game. The developers are working on getting the naval and land forces involved in the game from a human perspective. The AI land forces are very tough, tanks move on the battlefield as well as the naval forces. I have been shot down a number of times. At the present moment, team playing is not the greatest but you can invite friends to your game etc. I could write a large dissertation on this game but download it and you will love it. Look me up and i can get you on TS with other players.