AAR's wish list
Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:57 pm
I do hope I can express my feelings correctly on this post about MWIF and AAR's. I believe it was 2 years ago that Red Prince started an AAR called Barbarossa and it lit the posts up, it was new to him to do it, he never did it before and he probably felt he made mistakes or worrying about somebody saying I would have done this different or that different.
But it put a breath of life into this forum, it woke me up thats for sure. In no way did I think I could do as well as he did doing an AAR, but if you do not try then you will never know.
About a month ago I started an AAR and chickened out, and deleted it. Out side of beta testing I really do not know this game. [no board game experience] I did purchase CWIF from ADG, but I was lost trying to learn the game, there was no AI and if I remember right the supply routine did not work well.
Without Steves knowledge I attempted to do and AAR in the Guadalcanal scenario, a small naval battle in the Bay of Bengal using Japanes carriers against CW Battleships, out side of forcing an interception I did nothing to change any outcome of the battle in favor of one side or the other. Mistakes yes, bad decisions of course, I was no Isoroku Yamamota [Commander of the Japanese combined fleet] I tried to learn from my mistakes in the AAR, I went on to a bigger confrontation in the Battle of the Coral Sea between Japanese carriers and US carriers, I was getting more comfortable with the AAR procedure.
I then attempted to do an AAR on Poland September 1939. To bring this AAR to your computer screen it took 55 screen uploads, not a complaint it is what it is. The sorry you see once in a while was an upload screw up, and I also learned that I get timed out every so often and have to relog in and start over.
The 55 screens were mostly, if not all of the German impulses, if I had tried to do the US, France, Russsia, Cw and Italy moves on a screen I would have had to purchase a new storage hard drive. Without racing all over the maps I tried to show what the outcomes of different decisions I made for both sides would look like. Did I do justice to the Polish forces probably not, I am sure more astute players would have done things differently, but IMO Poland was doomed from the first moment the Panzers and the Wehrmacht crossed the Polish borders.
My good friend and very good beta tester "centuur" did a post on the Polish headquarters unit at the end of the Poland AAR post about how the Polish HQ unit could have been saved for future use by the allies, I think he said the interment rule, not really sure how it works. Also Terje posted about an error I made in doing an air battle was I upset hell no [:@]
What happened was when the German player had the neccessary points to destroy one of the Polish planes I picked the bomber and showed my wonderful wisdom behind my selection, In reality it was the allied player who would make that selection not the German player, you can see that screen on the last page of the Poland AAR. Terje let me down easy by saying it must be tough playing both sides but in reality I never even looked at that screen where the decisons were to destroy which plane.
Now the good beta testers Orm and composser99 are doing AAR's, they are much more astute about the game and the rules than I am and you will learn a great amount of information from them. If I have any disappointment in the AAR it would be lack of questions not lack of interest. I asked Steve how do I know if the AAR is helping, there have not been a lot of questions asked or comments. His answer was check the hits. They do look good.
I am asking every one here what would you like to see, not sure I could deliver what you might want, but I could try, more air combat, more naval battles, if you have questions I can not answer I have a very good group of people backing me up and they will answer the questions a lot better than I could. One question I can answer ahead of time.
Will I like this game? Meaning new and experienced players? YES. It will never go up on that shelf above your computer of dumb old games that you have not played in years.
Bo
But it put a breath of life into this forum, it woke me up thats for sure. In no way did I think I could do as well as he did doing an AAR, but if you do not try then you will never know.
About a month ago I started an AAR and chickened out, and deleted it. Out side of beta testing I really do not know this game. [no board game experience] I did purchase CWIF from ADG, but I was lost trying to learn the game, there was no AI and if I remember right the supply routine did not work well.
Without Steves knowledge I attempted to do and AAR in the Guadalcanal scenario, a small naval battle in the Bay of Bengal using Japanes carriers against CW Battleships, out side of forcing an interception I did nothing to change any outcome of the battle in favor of one side or the other. Mistakes yes, bad decisions of course, I was no Isoroku Yamamota [Commander of the Japanese combined fleet] I tried to learn from my mistakes in the AAR, I went on to a bigger confrontation in the Battle of the Coral Sea between Japanese carriers and US carriers, I was getting more comfortable with the AAR procedure.
I then attempted to do an AAR on Poland September 1939. To bring this AAR to your computer screen it took 55 screen uploads, not a complaint it is what it is. The sorry you see once in a while was an upload screw up, and I also learned that I get timed out every so often and have to relog in and start over.
The 55 screens were mostly, if not all of the German impulses, if I had tried to do the US, France, Russsia, Cw and Italy moves on a screen I would have had to purchase a new storage hard drive. Without racing all over the maps I tried to show what the outcomes of different decisions I made for both sides would look like. Did I do justice to the Polish forces probably not, I am sure more astute players would have done things differently, but IMO Poland was doomed from the first moment the Panzers and the Wehrmacht crossed the Polish borders.
My good friend and very good beta tester "centuur" did a post on the Polish headquarters unit at the end of the Poland AAR post about how the Polish HQ unit could have been saved for future use by the allies, I think he said the interment rule, not really sure how it works. Also Terje posted about an error I made in doing an air battle was I upset hell no [:@]
What happened was when the German player had the neccessary points to destroy one of the Polish planes I picked the bomber and showed my wonderful wisdom behind my selection, In reality it was the allied player who would make that selection not the German player, you can see that screen on the last page of the Poland AAR. Terje let me down easy by saying it must be tough playing both sides but in reality I never even looked at that screen where the decisons were to destroy which plane.
Now the good beta testers Orm and composser99 are doing AAR's, they are much more astute about the game and the rules than I am and you will learn a great amount of information from them. If I have any disappointment in the AAR it would be lack of questions not lack of interest. I asked Steve how do I know if the AAR is helping, there have not been a lot of questions asked or comments. His answer was check the hits. They do look good.
I am asking every one here what would you like to see, not sure I could deliver what you might want, but I could try, more air combat, more naval battles, if you have questions I can not answer I have a very good group of people backing me up and they will answer the questions a lot better than I could. One question I can answer ahead of time.
Will I like this game? Meaning new and experienced players? YES. It will never go up on that shelf above your computer of dumb old games that you have not played in years.
Bo

