Page 1 of 3
Debacle at Waterloo?
Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:01 pm
by sweeteye
Back in the 90's I made a hand made Waterloo board game...Improper storage has left it deteriorated badly and I have decided to give it another attempt....this time with the aid of the computer.I want to go back to basics with the map and found an old style map on the net.The image comes from the 4th edition of Meyers Konversationslexikon (1885–90).The image is now in the public domain.I colored out the troop positions and colored in the woods and streams.Used the Vassal program to put down a hex overlay.It took only a couple of hours to finish and is ready enough to send to the printers for a tabletop boardgame map to be made.Making the counters will be the next step.Will take some time to complete them as the game will be on the battalion level and a lot of counters will be needed to represent the armies.I have no real plans for trying to release it to the public for sale..As usual I create wargames as a labor of love and for my own enjoyment...[;)]

RE: My new old stlyle Waterloo board game map
Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:24 pm
by wodin
SUPERB!!! You've got the talent to create maps from scratch..love it.
RE: My new old stlyle Waterloo board game map
Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:32 pm
by sweeteye
Thanks Wodin!....It is from scratch ....kind of sort of......I just felt like taking a shortcut on the map....rather than marking out all the slash lines for the ridges and of course the roads etc....I do kind of like it though....just needs yellowed to make it look like an old piece of paper[:D]
RE: My new old stlyle Waterloo board game map
Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:28 pm
by BAL
Nicely done. If/when you have it printed, ask for a parchment type paper which will give it that "period yellowed" look.
RE: My new old stlyle Waterloo board game map
Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:56 pm
by sweeteye
Thanks BAL......I am going to have a copy printed for myself....I checked at a local print shop today and it will be roughly $30.00 to have one copy made,depending on size...OUCH! I am sure the price would come down if I ordered a large number of copies....This is what deters me from producing a complete game for sale....By the time all the needed components were printed it would become quite expensive....lets see... just for the sake of it...mapboard and counters plus the cardboard backing for them,plus glue.....Rulebook and various game charts......dice........boxes would be needed plus additional printing for the box cover......oh yeah...also shrink wrap and something to apply it with.....Perhaps eventually if there would be an interest in the game....Computer games really dominate the marketplace...
RE: My new old stlyle Waterloo board game map
Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:01 pm
by Darkspire
I use
this for my DnD maps, it should work for wargaming as well, there is a free version so you can see what it does, very useful and very comprehensive, it has saved me many hours of work and trees as well as I can create the map with the program, put it on a memory stick and take it down the printers to get a good sized print of it instead of wasting loads of hex paper, buying the full version is really worth it if you are a keen cartographer.
Darkspire
RE: My new old stlyle Waterloo board game map
Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:16 pm
by sweeteye
Cool...thanks.....Am downloading it as I type...Looks like it could be very useful...
RE: My new old stlyle Waterloo board game map
Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:17 am
by wings7
Andrew, well done! It's great to see games created out of the labor of love! [:)]
Patrick
RE: My new old stlyle Waterloo board game map
Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:03 pm
by sweeteye
Thanks Wings7....I must say this is the least I have labored on a map in a while....I did make a couple of adjustments to the map this AM along with morning coffee...added the woods that were in close to Hougomont and doctored up a section of the ridge along the British left near Papelotte.Uploaded the adjusted map to the first post.That should do it for now,guess I will go see about having the map printed out today...........
RE: My new old stlyle Waterloo board game map
Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:22 pm
by JeffroK
From the base map you have to do a lot (maybe not too much)of editing to make the terrain clear.
Do the roads clearly crass a hexside or do some run along the edge?? Look at J15 to the left of Hougomont.
Will villages/chateau be in 1 or 2 or 3 hexes??
Does 1 or 2 green dots mean a forest?? As in P13.
Just some observations from years of playing TEWT type wargames using real life maps.
RE: My new old stlyle Waterloo board game map
Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:37 pm
by sweeteye
Hello JeffK......I know what you mean about the terrain being unclear in some hexes...I guess I will resolve the problems by creating a list of woods hexes, farm fortresses,villages,and soft ground that could be referred to. As far as road hexes go I would have to say that in a case where a road is not clearly in one hex or another either hex could be used for road movement....I may go over the map some more for terrain clarification...Will have to think about it a bit....Thanks for bringing it to my attention again as it is important.
RE: My new old stlyle Waterloo board game map
Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:47 pm
by sweeteye
RE: My new old stlyle Waterloo board game map
Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:15 am
by Darkspire
What software are you using there sweeteye? I am not a tabletop or PC wargamer and know very little about the types of programs, I get really lost with all the WITP etc in the comments, some I have found by Googling, even with images but I am stuck on what you have there.
Thanks
Darkspire
RE: My new old stlyle Waterloo board game map
Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:51 am
by sweeteye
I am using "Vassal".....very nice board gaming software....many games available for it or you can use it to create with...also very free to download...here is the link just for the sake of it.....
http://www.vassalengine.org/download.php
RE: My new old stlyle Waterloo board game map
Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:15 am
by Darkspire
Thank you, that looks like it could really help with planning DnD campaigns, might even be able to transfer my own hexgame and try it out.
Darkspire
RE: My new old stlyle Waterloo board game map
Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:10 pm
by sweeteye
Debacle at Waterloo
Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:19 pm
by sweeteye
RE: My new old stlyle Waterloo board game map
Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:23 pm
by nate25
Can we please have a little better shot of a sample of the counters?
Looks great!
RE: My new old stlyle Waterloo board game map
Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:30 pm
by sweeteye
Sorry...that is about the best I can do with my cellphone....I might try to change the lighting again...
RE: My new old stlyle Waterloo board game map
Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:44 pm
by warspite1
ORIGINAL: sweeteye
Sorry...that is about the best I can do with my cellphone....I might try to change the lighting again...
warspite1
Debacle? No it wasn't - we won [:)]