Page 1 of 2

Theater Leaders

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:20 pm
by steamboateng
Is it worth the 150 PP to replace Percival in Singers? Should I do this ASAP?
Does replacing Kimmel with Nimitz make much of a difference at PH?

RE: Theater Leaders

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:25 pm
by Toro12
I have never replaced Kimmel. Not worth the PPs to me. Generally, the only leaders I ever replace are: air units, task forces (combat, invasion), and front-line HQs.

RE: Theater Leaders

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:44 pm
by Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: steamboateng

Is it worth the 150 PP to replace Percival in Singers? Should I do this ASAP?
Does replacing Kimmel with Nimitz make much of a difference at PH?

It depends what you're planning to do at Singers. In some cases it's worth it.

I put Nimitz in the job for role playing reasons.

RE: Theater Leaders

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:04 pm
by dr.hal
I for one have a LOT LOT LOT better uses for those political points... did I say "LOTS"? Hal

RE: Theater Leaders

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:05 pm
by Lecivius
In every game I have played, Nimitz gets the job in 1942 anyways. I never paid attention, so I never really notice a date, but it has happened. To me, anyways.

RE: Theater Leaders

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:09 pm
by Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: dr.hal

I for one have a LOT LOT LOT better uses for those political points... did I say "LOTS"? Hal

Opinions vary. In my AAR you can find evidence that dumping Perceval bought me six weeks to two months extra time at Singers, occupying 100,000+ Japanese troops. A top CO with great Admin skills really pulls in replacements.

Nimitz is personal taste. I like having Chester guarding the back door.

RE: Theater Leaders

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:22 pm
by steamboateng
I'm playing Allies....does Nimitz got the job via the AI! Is That what your saying?
Re Percival.......very bad stats! My logic, assuming a game against the IJ AI and following a more or less 'historical' play; and not reinforcing Singers (they go to northern India for a future Burma campaign), I wish to attrit the IJA in Malaya and the DEI. Does it follow that a leader in Singapore with higher 'Leadership' and 'Inspiration' would not only inflict higher casualties via the individual brigades and divisions, but they will suffer less as well as recover more quickly? In other words, doesn't he apply a (hopefully) positive affect across his command within his influence range. I would think that across a span of time, say two months, his influence would be significant. But then, I'm not all that familiar with game mechanics.

RE: Theater Leaders

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:34 pm
by Lokasenna
You need Admin skill to recover more quickly.

Inspiration is higher adjusted AV in assaults. I'm not sure it means anything when defending, but it might? And the Land skill is probably in there somewhere.

Leadership I'm not sure on, but probably only affects XP gain as it does for pilots/ship crews. It would fit the pattern, anyway.

RE: Theater Leaders

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:28 pm
by Yaab
Also the commander of the III Indian Corps HQ has somewhat poor Land skill, as far as I remember.

RE: Theater Leaders

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:25 pm
by spence
If Nimitz takes over via the game system that is certainly something to remember as an Allied Player.

I have never seen a Japanese Player in PBEM advocate that First Turn Surprise be turned OFF. Only a few seem to tried anything other than blowing the US Pacific Fleet to smithereens in Pearl Harbor. The PP cost to replace Kimmel seems completely unrealistic in that context. In fact, it seems to me that in the context of a surprise attack that is on average 3 times as effective as the real one at PH the Allied Player should get a PP bonus for $hitcanning Kimmel. Every politician in Washington would have been demanding his head served on a platter. Even his mother would have been ashamed of him.

RE: Theater Leaders

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:39 pm
by steamboateng
Lecivious says it's so. Sounds like 100PP in the bank. What say you, Moose? .......Anyone?

RE: Theater Leaders

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:00 pm
by witpqs
Nimitz will greatly influence events within his range, as will any command HQ leader. They simply have not released all of the formulae, but I have seen units building/rebuilding faster, recover faster, possibly train faster, etc.

I don't usually bother with Percival, but the ongoing theater commands get good leaders. It's worth it.

RE: Theater Leaders

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:07 am
by steamboateng
In reviewing the several Leadership charts, I'm surprised to find that 'Aggression' has no effect other than defining 'Front Line' and 'Rear Area' leaders, at the Regiment/Brigade/Division level.

RE: Theater Leaders

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:12 am
by Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: witpqs

Nimitz will greatly influence events within his range, as will any command HQ leader. They simply have not released all of the formulae, but I have seen units building/rebuilding faster, recover faster, possibly train faster, etc.

I agree. PH is the single most important US base IMO, at least for two years. I want it to have everything it can to be all it can be.

RE: Theater Leaders

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:14 am
by Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: steamboateng

In reviewing the several Leadership charts, I'm surprised to find that 'Aggression' has no effect other than defining 'Front Line' and 'Rear Area' leaders, at the Regiment/Brigade/Division level.

Be careful as the devs have never, ever laid out exactly what each trait does in the formulae. There are tea leaves read, ancient posts from WITP days interpreted, suppositions, and al lot of lore handed down from father to son. Some things are pretty clear at a top level. But the whole area of Leaders is very murky. Why you'll get dozens of opinions when you ask a flat question. But those what know ain't saying.

RE: Theater Leaders

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:31 am
by steamboateng
Thanks Moose! As an old 'Rocky' fan, going all the way back to the 60's, I have the ability to decipher your last comment.
More pea soup please!

RE: Theater Leaders

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:27 pm
by witpqs
There are tea leaves read, ancient posts from WITP days interpreted, suppositions, and al lot of lore handed down from father to son.
Knuckle bones. You forgot casting of knuckle bones.

RE: Theater Leaders

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:32 pm
by Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: witpqs
There are tea leaves read, ancient posts from WITP days interpreted, suppositions, and al lot of lore handed down from father to son.
Knuckle bones. You forgot casting of knuckle bones.

Entrails of birds . . .

Seriously though, I will not confirm or deny, but I may have seen a first draft of a certain document by a certain well-known forumite who did exhaustive research on the subject back to WITP forum days. And a lot of what is accepted wisdom on the subject might not be true based on long-ago leaks.

RE: Theater Leaders

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:56 pm
by steamboateng
Ah-ha!
Maybe that Swedish 'Wiki Leaks' fella knows sumthin' about it!

RE: Theater Leaders

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:19 pm
by Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: steamboateng

Ah-ha!
Maybe that Swedish 'Wiki Leaks' fella knows sumthin' about it!

No, not Sweden. [:)]

Far from it. [:'(]