Page 1 of 1

Soviet radars 1961

Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:43 pm
by El Savior
I'm making scenario in Baltic Sea area. I'm not finding much info about radars that Soviet used that time. Cold War database have several but most are more modern than 1961.

So, what radars did soviets use in 1961? I know P-15 was used by troops, but what about early warning radars?

I have used SA-2 sites, but surely there was bigger radar stations in Baltic area. Specifically I'm interested radar sites in or nearby Estonia.

Any info is appreciated!

RE: Soviet radars 1961

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:58 am
by f4migcap
I'm curious about this also. I was thinking about a late 1950's scenario and was wondering if anybody had any ideas where to find info on Soviet radars used at that time. Guess its possible they were using stuff left over from WWII.

RE: Soviet radars 1961

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:56 am
by El Savior
I managed to find something.

History of Soviet Union radar (PDF)
http://www.google.fi/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=& ... 3115,d.bGE

SURVEILLANCE RADARS
OF THE AD SYSTEM
Surveillance radars of the Air Defense (AD)
system in the USSR traditionally operated in the
following three main frequency bands:
" VHF band
(wavelengths from 10 mn to I in);
" UHF-band and L-band
(wavelengths from I mn to 0. 15 in);
* S-band
(wavelengths from 0. 15 in to 0.075 in).
VHF-Band Radars
The first after-war radars of this band were
adopted by the Soviet Army in 1945. After the first, relatively simple radars, P-3, P-8, and P-10, the more
perfect surveillance radars P-i 12 ("Yenisei") and P- 18
("Terek") were created [9, 15, 44]. Target detection
range for these radars were from 18 km to 160 ...
170 kin, depending on target flight altitudes between
50 mn and 10 km. Elevation angle coverage was
between 0.60 and 300. In the radar P-18 developed in
1970, an effective protection system against clutter
was applied. In the modernized radars P-18M and
P418-2, outdated electronic components were
renewed and radar performance was improved
essentially according to more rigid requirements
imposed on the Air Defense system [48]. These
radars were among the most popular radars in the Air
Defense system of the USSR."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:R ... ary_radars


RE: Soviet radars 1961

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:47 am
by f4migcap
hey thanks for the info! [:)]

RE: Soviet radars 1961

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:13 pm
by bsq
P-8, P-10, P-12, P-14 (Top of the line for your period), P-15, P-20, P-30, P-35. These are your EW radars.
Then you have your height finders - PRV-10 and PRV-11

RE: Soviet radars 1961

Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:04 am
by f4migcap
hey bsq thanks for the info! Been thinking about some 1950's-early 1960's scenario ideas and this really helps [:)]

RE: Soviet radars 1961

Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:50 pm
by .Sirius
Also the P-3 Dumbo Air Search
ORIGINAL: bsq

P-8, P-10, P-12, P-14 (Top of the line for your period), P-15, P-20, P-30, P-35. These are your EW radars.
Then you have your height finders - PRV-10 and PRV-11