Page 1 of 3
SPWAW Gold + megacampaigns
Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 10:49 pm
by Jim1954
There have been numerous threads on this issue in recent months and here is your chance to make your voice heard and counted in 1 spot.
If Matrix was to put out such a product, would you purchase it?
Would you prefer download or hard copy?
Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 4:13 am
by Supervisor
Yes, without a doubt. The overwhelming responce for them is still strong. And if feasible it probably would be hard copy as the pay for download issue can be buggy at best not to included huge downloads that would be larger than SPWAW itself. Although both possibilties were brought up a while back when I discussed this with David. I would even vote for a a reprinting of the originals.
Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 4:55 am
by Jim1954
Well Mike, I stuck this out there for all of the people who did not get the chance or missed it, to get these. If enough people will vote on this to show Matrix that their customer's are serious about this, then maybe they Matrix will see the #'s and be influenced by them. It is up to you guys (customer base) to get Matrix to see that you are really interested in this enough for them to make the financial commitment necessary to bring this about. Do it by showing them something tangible, in numbers.

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 6:00 am
by Mojo
I'd shell out a reasonable amount of fundage if it came with all of the patches, etc even though I already own 2 out of the 3 MCs.
How's that for addicted?
Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 8:18 pm
by Supervisor
Give it time Jim, I'm going to move this thread to the main forum so it gets more attention. Not many visit here unless they are posting an AAR.
Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 8:21 pm
by Jim1954
Thanks Mike. It's a moot point for me since I already bought all 3, but wanted to try to get other people the opportunity to have fun with them.
Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 11:04 pm
by Supervisor
No problem, me too but I would love to see some type of re-release since the demand seems to still be out there for them.
Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 2:48 am
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
I only own Lost Victories, and only as a result of limited funds.
I voted I would like to get the rest if it was practical.
I also voted hardcopy.
Everyone that knows me already knows I think a downloadable methodology is not advisable, and not something I would request.
Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 8:17 pm
by simulacrum
Only if the debilitating bugs in the megacampaigns are fixed. Said well known bugs include lost leaders, bogus leader combat ratings, and lost conditional victory points during autosaves.
Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 8:41 pm
by Drex
I'm fortunate enough to own all the MCs and will continue to support this original genre. I prefer hard copy because it is more manageable to download.
Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 10:54 pm
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
I would personally like to hear a definitive statement from the powers that be, exactly what has plagued the Mega Campaigns, and what solutions have been created to deal with them.
So much has been said elsewhere, but even I have not necessarily heard it all before.
Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 1:50 am
by Paul Vebber
The Mega-Campaigns served to get us through some difficult times - we had hopes they would have sold more faster, but they did well, but trickled out at the end.
We currently don't have plans to reprint them. Based on the limited sales at the end, its dobtful we could recoup our investment to make another print run.
We had hoped to have OCmbat Leader available to fill the void sooner rather than later and not have a big a gap between the SP:WaW MCs selling out and CL seeing light but things outside our control have prevented it going as quickly as we hoped.
You will see MC's and in CL they will be much improved, but not for a while!
Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 3:50 am
by simulacrum
Having sunk ~$100 into the disappointingly buggy MCs, based on my love for the innovative SP engine, I have little inclination to give CL the benefit of the doubt.
Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 5:51 am
by Fallschirmjager
I was going to buy 2 of those "gold cds" to give to friends for christmas...too bad they wont be coming out.
Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 6:05 am
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Paul I speak only for me, but I say, thanks for SPWaW thanks a million times over.
Thanks for taking a decent stab at the Mega Campaigns.
If they have defects I have not as yet seen them myself. Then again I have not played my Lost Victories as exhaustively.
In the final analysis though, there is only ONE way to play Steel Panthers.
And that is the way I play ASL usually, me as both sides.
Played a Long Campaign recently. The AI is well who cares what others think eh, the AI was friggin stupid. So what. I am not at all surprised that a computer game's AI is dumb. Last I checked there had been no earth shatering revolutions in artificial intellect.
Steel Panthers WaW 7.1 is as close to perfection as I can think of.
I will be thankful for the effort regardless of Matrix's future course.
I still hold out for that day I can upgrade the computer for an unrelated video need. If it happens I will likely try and sneak Combat Leader on the system:)
Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 10:33 pm
by David Heath
We are not planning to make any more CD in the near future until at least all of the Operation Watchtower CD are sold. Once we get to that point we will consider our options again.
David Heath
Matrix Games
Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 1:12 am
by Supervisor
Thank you David for at least keeping the possibilty open.
Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 9:07 pm
by slyone
I'm personally cursing myself now that I seemed sleeping while the MCs were still in stores. Now is too late. The only hope is the relaunched edition.
And what I hear? After so much talking on re-launching of MCs "Matrix is not currently considering anything in this direction".
Guys, believe me this is not very encouraging for us (customers) to hear it. I really do not understand it, especially if you see customers ready to spend their cash.
I presume that there is no technical problem in relaunching MCs. So why don't you want to do it?

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 9:45 pm
by Paul Vebber
Its pretty simple, if we can't make back the cost to do it in a reasonable period, then there is not a compelling reason to do something that there is very little potential for return on.
David has said that when Watchtower sells out, we will take another look. But there is still a fair number of Watchtower products to sell.
Right now, while there has been renewed interest in Watchtower and the other MC's. It has not yet become great enough to justify a reissue. If conditions change in the future, as David said we will review the bidding, but right now it just doesn't make financial sense given the demand.
Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 3:53 am
by Big Bill
If anyone is interested I have a brand new LV and Watchtower disk that I cant get to install correctly into my SPWAW vs. 7.1 I'll sell them cheap ( unless Matrix give's refunds or credit ) If Matrix came out with a CD with all of the Mega Campaigns " working Properly " on it I would be interested.
BigBill