Page 1 of 2
People who have had the game freeze up on them ....
Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 9:37 am
by Ross Moorhouse
Some of you have reported that the game freezes up on you.
I may be shooting in the dark here, but what Operating System are you using if you have had a freeze up in UV ? Please post your OS in this thread. It may or may not help us.
Regarding the air combat freeze...
Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 1:24 am
by von Murrin
I'm running UV in 98.
Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 1:29 am
by Basement Command
W 98
Sys OS
Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 2:15 pm
by fcooke
I'm one of the freeze victims and use ME.
Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 7:34 pm
by Sonny
First time I've had a freeze up. In th pbem game there were lots of attacks. When I get past the air combat of the first Japanese air attack and get to the screen showing the survivors (this includes the surviving escort) the game freezes and I have to ctl-alt-del out of it.
I'm using windows XP. I have saved the combat resullts file if you want it.
P.S. I tried it several time and it freezes at the same spot each time.
Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 11:01 pm
by Widi
Windows 2000 Pro here.
Game has only frozen for me during large carrier air battles, with and without animation on.
OS
Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 6:10 pm
by Ron Saueracker
98 SE. Very rare, in any case. In my opinion, less crashes than other games I've experienced.
Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:25 am
by Drex
Quite a few lockups when japanese Cv attacks. I use 98.
Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:14 am
by Ross Moorhouse
Originally posted by Sonny
First time I've had a freeze up. In th pbem game there were lots of attacks. When I get past the air combat of the first Japanese air attack and get to the screen showing the survivors (this includes the surviving escort) the game freezes and I have to ctl-alt-del out of it.
I'm using windows XP. I have saved the combat resullts file if you want it.
P.S. I tried it several time and it freezes at the same spot each time.
You can send it to me, but I would place odds on me that I would e-mail yoiu back and say I couldnt replicate it.. So try your luck and send it to me.

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:20 pm
by Mundy
I suffer from this also. I have a P4 1.7 MHz running ME. RAM 256Meg, SoundBlaster Live!
It always happens during an airstrike resolution. Once the battle ends, the whole thing is locked. While the battle is happening, though, I can Alt-ESC out of the program and close it out from the outside. If I re-enter the program without rebooting, it won't happen again.
This usually happens within a few turns of playing. I've been saving after each turn, but this is getting to be a pain. I'm reluctant to play two-player with anyone due to this.

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 12:34 am
by Basement Command
How about video cards? What video cards are people using?
Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:40 pm
by erict
XP Pro SP1 & Uncommon Valor patched to 1.4
I've experienced lockups only during carrier engagements. I've also experienced this on two different computers with XP Pro. It always happens during carrier battles with animation on or off. I save very often...so the only way I can get around this lockup is if I avoid "THE" carrier battle. Kind of annoying....
Same lockups during similar situation on different systems using XP Pro:
AMD XP 1700+
ASUS A7V266E
512mb RAM
GF3 Ti200 (using latest WMD drivers 30.87)
Audigy
120GB HD
&
PII 350
old ABIT mobo
256mb RAM
old Matrox card
SB X-gamer
20 gb HD
Both DirectX 8.1
Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 4:40 pm
by DoomedMantis
Windows 98
3D Prophet II Max
P3 256 ram
Only happens occasionally, but has happenned both as Allies and Japs, as Allies not a problem as I just skip the replay, more of a problem as the Japs, had to have drastic measure such as reload game on one occasion, and twice had to actually go back a turn.
Worked out once though that there was a conflict with my printer, so I just don't print while playing anymore. It has locked on otehr occassions though
Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 4:05 am
by Toro
XP for me.
Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 11:33 am
by Ross Moorhouse
The test team have been having a look at this and no freezes are being reported.
Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 11:36 pm
by Q-Ball
Iv'e had the same problem, but only since installing the 1.4 patch. Prior to that, no issues.
It's always in large CV vs. CV battles, and always freezes during the 2nd IJN attack phase, as they are attacking the ships. I restarted several times with different variables, it finally did not freeze when I had only 1 CV TF in a hex (prior to that, I had 3 CV TF's, each with 2 US CV's).
I run Windows 98.
Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 4:35 am
by popejoy1
Ross,
I have had the problem with V1.4 and I use Windows ME.
By the way, I append an e-mail exchange we had at the beginning of September, in case you've misplaced it ...
I will be happy to retransmit my save game file if it will help you.
Paul
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: System hangup with V1.40
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 19:42:29 +1000
From: "Ross Moorhouse" <
rossm@matrixgames.com>
Reply-To: "Ross Moorhouse" <
rossm@matrixgames.com>
Organization: Matrix Games
To: "Paul Popejoy" <
byepopejoy@adelphia.net>
References: <
3D70D018.5080604@adelphia.net>
Hi mate,
Just got to look at this and it sure does lock up here too. I shall pass
this one.
Cheers
Ross Moorhouse
Matrix Games
Director of Game Development.
rossm@matrixgames.com
----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Popejoy" <
byepopejoy@adelphia.net>
To: <
rossm@matrixgames.com>
Sent: Sunday, September 01, 2002 12:18 AM
Subject: System hangup with V1.40
> Ross,
>
> I'm glad you were able to verify the problem (dogpile @ 100 ft) with the
> save game I sent to you - I look forward to seeing it resolved!
>
> Now, unfortunately, I have a new problem: a repeatable hang-up
> (infinite loop?) in V1.4, which continues the game I posted to you, and
> which was started under V1.3. In the attached save game, there is one
> Japanese carrier TF and three U.S. carrier TFs a few hundred miles south
> of Truk. The U.S. airstrike(s) generally result in the destruction of
> HIYO. When the HIYO's strike hits the U.S. TF, the U.S. CAP (~70-80
> aircraft) attacks but doesn't shoot down any of the incoming Japanese
> planes; when air-to-air combat is over, the game locks up: hitting
> "Done" doesn't work; ALT-TAB doesn't work, etc. The only recovery for
> me has been to cycle the power on my computer.
>
> I have attached a save game that has produced repeatable results - at
> least on my system. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Paul
Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 11:15 am
by Ross Moorhouse
Popejoy, please do resend it.
Lock-Up
Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 11:25 pm
by Mikey
I too am experiencing frequent lock-ups when large carrier battles are in-progress. It seems to happen when the IJN attack begins and when large numbers of aircraft are involved. The system hangs, and cpu usage goes to 100%. My system:
Dell 8100 P4-1.2
XP Pro SP1
512 mb Memory
NVIDIA GeForce2 Ultra w 64MB
Anything else you need?
Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 3:47 am
by popejoy1
Ross,
I e-mailed the file a couple of days ago. Please let me know if you didn't receive it, or if you'd like me to post it in this forum.
Thanks!
Paul