Page 1 of 2
Civ V
Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:34 am
by Missouri_Rebel
Has Civ V shaped up these past few years to be any decent? I'm talking pre Brave New World.
I never played any of the series but I know fans of earlier versions thought it dumbed down for the masses. With all the expansions, especially the Gods and Kings, has it ended up being something you'd recommend?
Thanks
mo reb
RE: Civ V
Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:47 am
by DuckofTindalos
It's pretty good, I'd say. I come back to it every once in a while, with both main expansions installed, BTW.
RE: Civ V
Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:59 am
by Missouri_Rebel
Thanks. I might look into it a little further.
RE: Civ V
Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:58 am
by goodwoodrw
ORIGINAL: Terminus
It's pretty good, I'd say. I come back to it every once in a while, with both main expansions installed, BTW.
Hey just started playing it again today what are the two main expansions?
RE: Civ V
Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:02 am
by DuckofTindalos
The ones Mo_Reb mentioned, Brave New World and Gods and Kings.
RE: Civ V
Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:36 am
by budd
I just starting playing this the past few days after picking up the scrambled continents map pack. Civ 2 was the one i probably played the most followed by 3....Civ 4 just a little. Can't say alot about being dumbed down yet but what i can say is it develops alot slower than the earlier ones[2,3] and it's easy to play, everything you need to know is a mouse click away or so it seems to me. I like the slower pace and the UI alot so far. I do have G&K and BNW installed. I read that the AI doesn't do war very well, so we'll see on that front. So far i like the pace,graphics, and UI. I'm not sure how i feel about not being able to stack units or pass through units yet.
RE: Civ V
Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:56 am
by Missouri_Rebel
I believe you can in fact pass through units, just not end your turn stacked. Of course that would probably not help if you have several units bunched up.
RE: Civ V
Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:18 am
by budd
that was probably the case, i'll pay more attention.Thx
RE: Civ V
Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:30 pm
by terje439
ORIGINAL: Terminus
It's pretty good, I'd say. I come back to it every once in a while, with both main expansions installed, BTW.
I would agree, Brave New World really enhanced the game imo.
Terje
RE: Civ V
Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:04 pm
by Numdydar
I would never go back to earlier versions after playing Brave New World. Really did amazing things for the game imho [:)]
RE: Civ V
Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:40 pm
by Max 86
Civ 5 Gold + Brave New World is available from Amazon for US$19.99, electronic download.
http://www.amazon.com/GOLD-Brave-World- ... ords=civ+5
RE: Civ V
Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:12 pm
by Missouri_Rebel
Never mind. Looks like it does include bnw. So is it digital dl? Played the demo last night which convinced me to purchase.
RE: Civ V
Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:15 pm
by Twotribes
Never liked Civ, The best Governments can't effectively fight wars and I buy WAR games.
RE: Civ V
Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:17 pm
by Missouri_Rebel
I remember playing the heck out of the primitive Imperialism II.
RE: Civ V
Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:46 pm
by DSWargamer
It all depends on why you actually play a game.
In Civ you CAN get a serious butt stomping if you are not trying.
Is it fair to say the AI is seriously any good? Well let's just ditch the whole argument and ask, do you like playing any game where the chance of winning only comes from needing to seriously think out how to win?
In multi player mode vs another human, I am lucky to win 1 game in 5, and that likely is do to how 1 game in 5 will put my human opponent in a crummy starting position
I liked IV just fine until I realized how much better V was. No masses of AI schlock from the dawn of time in massive stacks making the game a silly process. No more stacks of workers doing auto 1 turn completion of tasks.
It isn't easy learning to use position well, and picking the right mix of forces in V, but then, who said wargames were supposed to be easy eh. Anyone that likes Panzer Corps couldn't hate playing Civ V. One of the best parts of the game too, is how many methods of play are open. You can set the game up so they only way to win is through non violent means too. So it doesn't need to be always about the combat.
I find I can burn out my interest in the game easy enough. But you can also say it's one of the easiest games to constantly go back to as well.
RE: Civ V
Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:12 pm
by RedArgo
I like Civ 5, it is the game I've played the most in recent months. I do have both expansions.
My main problem with it is the AI doesn't fight too well, frequently moving units past one city to get at one behind it, but getting pummelled all the way, then turning around to retreat without accomplishing anything.
I played my last game on an island map on Prince level and although a couple of the other civs were equal to me in tech, their navies, although large, hadn't be upgraded and as soon as I wiped them out it was easy to storm their capitals. I won a conquest game in around the year 1970.
Most satisfying though was catching Steve Jobs in the open ocean and sinking his transport. Apple would never exist in my world! [:)]
RE: Civ V
Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:32 pm
by GaryChildress
I played the heck out of Civ 1, 2 and 3. Civ 4 I played a little. Civ 5 I still haven't purchased. Doesn't sound all that appealing to me. I still play Civ 3, just got into a long game with my own modded version of the conquests file.
RE: Civ V
Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:10 pm
by Zorch
I really like Civ V after the BNW expansion. It begs the question of where Civ can go next...
RE: Civ V
Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:33 am
by JamesM
I really wish I could stop playing Civ V at present. I finish a scenario then I start thinking of the next one. Very addictive game!
RE: Civ V
Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:58 am
by dougo33
ORIGINAL: Gary Childress
I played the heck out of Civ 1, 2 and 3. Civ 4 I played a little. Civ 5 I still haven't purchased. Doesn't sound all that appealing to me. I still play Civ 3, just got into a long game with my own modded version of the conquests file.
I have also played the heck out of the CIV series through CIV4 (friends and I play this multiplayer every chance we get). CIV5 is a good game in it's own right - it is unfair to compare it to the previous versions since so much was changed (i.e. made easier, less depth in some ways). I play a CIV5 game about once a quarter. SInce it is often on sale I would suggest grabbing it as a fall back game on long winter weekends.
my 2 cents on the subject