Game Mechanics you like/dislike
Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 7:37 pm
Hmmm this topic is not entirely new yet not entirely done before either I suppose.
Most of us have been gaming for what seems like forever. Not always wargames as well I guess.
I am interested in seeing what people have to say on our gaming hobby in that I am interested in what you think of the common methods used in actual game design.
First one off the list I guess would be "hexes". Some people want to get rid of them, I say why? what's the need? what gain does it give us? why hate them so much?
True computers can do so much, so what. I think hexes are fine. They regulate the map, they give us simple straight forward parameters. They can be hidden in computer games if they are visually annoying.
One beef I have is pointless secondary animations. I don't need little windows with little animations wasting computer resources. I don't need randomly inserted videos or any other computer resource hogging frills.
I just need a good looking map, good looking units, nice sounds and an interface that makes controling the game simple.
AIs, worthless, I could care less if the programmers out there discontinue making them at all.
Anyone else got some feelings on what makes our games look the way they do?
Most of us have been gaming for what seems like forever. Not always wargames as well I guess.
I am interested in seeing what people have to say on our gaming hobby in that I am interested in what you think of the common methods used in actual game design.
First one off the list I guess would be "hexes". Some people want to get rid of them, I say why? what's the need? what gain does it give us? why hate them so much?
True computers can do so much, so what. I think hexes are fine. They regulate the map, they give us simple straight forward parameters. They can be hidden in computer games if they are visually annoying.
One beef I have is pointless secondary animations. I don't need little windows with little animations wasting computer resources. I don't need randomly inserted videos or any other computer resource hogging frills.
I just need a good looking map, good looking units, nice sounds and an interface that makes controling the game simple.
AIs, worthless, I could care less if the programmers out there discontinue making them at all.
Anyone else got some feelings on what makes our games look the way they do?