Page 1 of 2

Red Storm 2 remake

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:46 am
by Plodder
Here's my remake of Red Storm 2 which is used in the Tutorial and Blackhorse scenarios. As you can see I've included the highway, which has a purely visual effect only.It will still act as a normal road.

Overview:
Image

at 100% zoom:
Image

in game shot:
Image

You can download it here:

https://www.mediafire.com/?t3gljsi1w71bw4k

Any suggestions to improve it are most welcome. [:)]

RE: Red Storm 2 remake

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:07 am
by Mad Russian
Looks really good Plodder!!

Good Hunting.

MR

RE: Red Storm 2 remake

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:14 pm
by CapnDarwin
Awesome map!!!

RE: Red Storm 2 remake

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:29 pm
by CiniKo
WOW!...best map ever!!...PLEASE make it all!![&o][&o][&o]

Wonderful with road names (in addition to village names), to match the briefing, and to make defining and memorizing your own plans easier.


RE: Red Storm 2 remake

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:49 pm
by JohnOs
I like the map as well, especially the way the elevations show on the map.

RE: Red Storm 2 remake

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:10 pm
by CapnDarwin
Plodder,

How long did it take to do the map? Only minor issue I see is the white roads clash a bit with the town names. Maybe a light gray road or a more pronounced black outline on the letters plus the shadow.

RE: Red Storm 2 remake

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:31 pm
by rooivalk
That has really caught my attention, great map, cant wait to try it Plodder

RE: Red Storm 2 remake

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:29 pm
by Plodder
ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

Plodder,

How long did it take to do the map? Only minor issue I see is the white roads clash a bit with the town names. Maybe a light gray road or a more pronounced black outline on the letters plus the shadow.

It's taken me about a week to make as I've had a lot of trial and error with different techniques. I copied Jamm's technique of outlining each contour level in a 1px black line, for example, which accompanied with a drop shadow, really makes them pop. I've just started on Red Storm 1(A Time To Dance)and it should go a lot quicker. The slowest part is copying,pasting and adjusting the fields. I use screen shots from Google Earth and where possible, the fields you see are the actual fields from their real-world locations, but at a different scale.

How's this for the roads:

Image

RE: Red Storm 2 remake

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:34 pm
by CapnDarwin
I like the gray roads. Does make reading the names easier and the road is a bit less bright against the rest of the map. The fields are excellent.

Thanks for the info.

RE: Red Storm 2 remake

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:13 pm
by Plodder
I've updated to include the road colour adjustment. The link is the same..

RE: Red Storm 2 remake

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:28 pm
by jack54
Absolutely awesome work Plodder... I love the way the elevations seem jump out of the map! I often take casualties not realizing I've moved onto higher terrain.

Good Stuff![:)]

RE: Red Storm 2 remake

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:46 pm
by Jamm
Looks good, I like the fields as well.

RE: Red Storm 2 remake

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:04 pm
by Mad Russian
That's a great looking map all around. [&o]

Good Hunting.

MR

RE: Red Storm 2 remake

Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:15 am
by Noypi53
Great map!

How do you install the map? Sorry for the question as I'm new to the game.

Keep up the great work!

RE: Red Storm 2 remake

Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:50 am
by Plodder
ORIGINAL: Jamm

Looks good, I like the fields as well.
Thanks mate. It's your maps that inspired me to have a go in the first place.

RE: Red Storm 2 remake

Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:54 am
by Plodder
ORIGINAL: Noypi53

Great map!

How do you install the map? Sorry for the question as I'm new to the game.

Keep up the great work!
Extract the zip to the modules/ FPRS/ maps folder In the game installation folder. You might want to back up the original file first.

RE: Red Storm 2 remake

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:20 am
by Noypi53
ORIGINAL: The Plodder

Extract the zip to the modules/ FPRS/ maps folder In the game installation folder. You might want to back up the original file first.

Thanks for the tip! Just installed it & looks great in the game.

RE: Red Storm 2 remake

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:02 pm
by HeinzHarald
Looks absolutely awesome. I think it would enhance the game quite a bit if all maps looked like this.

RE: Red Storm 2 remake

Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:14 pm
by cbelva
Hey Plodder,

I was wondering what program you used to make your map, if you don't mind sharing that info with us.

RE: Red Storm 2 remake

Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:34 pm
by pekische
Plodder, are you planing to mod other maps?