Page 1 of 2
Favorite board/wargame map style
Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:00 pm
by Lukas
I'm looking for (board)game map styles that people generally find attractive and effective. In particular 2D abstracted (and hexagonal) styles, not "real world" visuals with little trees, roads etc. Rather styles that represent terrain types with abstracted icons or patterns.
Which games (names and/or screenhots/photo's please!) do you think presented their map in a nice, memorable way?
RE: Favorite board/wargame map style
Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:47 pm
by baloo7777
As I am oid (HA!HA!), I fell in love with the original AH squad leader mapboards graphics! I like the way the Time of Fury map looks also.
RE: Favorite board/wargame map style
Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:30 pm
by berto
JTS American Civil War 2D [not a board war game, but with a board game look]
[edit: attached a sample screenshot; drastically shrunk; hope it looks decent]

RE: Favorite board/wargame map style
Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:16 am
by Rising-Sun
depend on your budget, there are tons of boardgames out there and what kinda wargame/roleplaying games are you looking for?
RE: Favorite board/wargame map style
Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:43 am
by fvianello
Latest SPI games (The Next War for example)
RE: Favorite board/wargame map style
Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:01 am
by Rodwonder
I 2nd Squad Leader! When I opened that box up on Christmas day 1978 I was blown away by the graphics... It made other games at that time seem bland by comparison.
RE: Favorite board/wargame map style
Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:50 am
by Saint Ruth
I prefer map styles where it's easy to see the terrain content in a single glance, that are colourful and non-repetitive.
Good examples:
Board Game - Squad Leader
Computer - Commander - Europe At War / Panzer Campaigns.
Command - Europe at War is nicer than Panzer Campaigns as PC is tiles which are repetitive. Still, they get the job done.
Bad Example:
Battlefields: E.g. Korsun Pocket. Now that's a good game, but sometimes it's difficult to see the content of a hex from a single glance. The map is, however, pretty.
RE: Favorite board/wargame map style
Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:43 am
by IainMcNeil
Screenshots or links to examples would probably help Lukas as he may not know the games you're talking about and often there are multiple versions or similar games so confusion is easy!
RE: Favorite board/wargame map style
Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:52 am
by sterckxe
Hi Lukas,
GMT's Mark Simonitch has a great reputation for creating very clear, abstract 2D map art
Example from his Ardennes '44 game :
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1813359/ardennes-44
Greetz,
Eddy Sterckx
RE: Favorite board/wargame map style
Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:05 pm
by Lukas
ORIGINAL: baloo7777
I like the way the Time of Fury map looks also.
Didn't ToF have several map display modes? Would be useful to know which specific one you are referring to.
ORIGINAL: RisingSun
depend on your budget, there are tons of boardgames out there and what kinda wargame/roleplaying games are you looking for?
The reason I'm doing this inquiry is because we are about to start on the boardgame mode map visuals for Order of Battle - Pacific. It would be useful to establish a style that is generally favored.
This style will be used in the strategic overview map, scenario preview thumbnails and the optional "board game style" display mode.
ORIGINAL: Everyone Else
...
Thanks for all the suggestions. Most seem to have terrain types clearly distinguished by (low saturation) colours and simple patterns. Quite similar to what I had in mind.
More suggestions are still welcome to confirm this is the right way to proceed or disprove it altogether [;)]
RE: Favorite board/wargame map style
Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:38 pm
by baloo7777
Original: Lukas
Didn't ToF have several map display modes? Would be useful to know which specific one you are referring to.
Checked my settings...TOF Map set to Normal in preferences with city and sea zones named. Tried to see if I could take a screen shot, but can't figure it out.
RE: Favorite board/wargame map style
Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:53 pm
by SLAAKMAN
World In Flames is by far the most beautiful & functional combination IMHO. Im drooling over the new one too & will acquire it on my next check-

RE: Favorite board/wargame map style
Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:25 am
by DerTroof
ORIGINAL: baloo7777
As I am oid (HA!HA!), I fell in love with the original AH squad leader mapboards graphics! I like the way the Time of Fury map looks also.
ORIGINAL: Rodwonder
I 2nd Squad Leader! When I opened that box up on Christmas day 1978 I was blown away by the graphics... It made other games at that time seem bland by comparison.
Agree, agree! Squad Leader/ASL were, and are, works of art. [8D]
RE: Favorite board/wargame map style
Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:50 am
by wodin
Love the map for Bloody April by GMT Games.

RE: Favorite board/wargame map style
Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:52 am
by wodin
Also Streets of Stalingrad

RE: Favorite board/wargame map style
Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:02 pm
by lecrop
RE: Favorite board/wargame map style
Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:06 pm
by lecrop
And not hexagonal but beautiful, Von Riesswitz Kriegsspiel [&o]

RE: Favorite board/wargame map style
Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:05 am
by Rising-Sun
ORIGINAL: RisingSun
depend on your budget, there are tons of boardgames out there and what kinda wargame/roleplaying games are you looking for?
ORIGINAL: Lukas
The reason I'm doing this inquiry is because we are about to start on the boardgame mode map visuals for Order of Battle - Pacific. It would be useful to establish a style that is generally favored.
This style will be used in the strategic overview map, scenario preview thumbnails and the optional "board game style" display mode.
I been doing the samn thing here also, working another project, but coming very slow. Trying to get good maps going by using 3D render and landscapes and there so many islands and bases in the Pacific.
RE: Favorite board/wargame map style
Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:36 pm
by Lukas
Clash of Arms Battles from the Age of Reason series
That's a cute style [;)] A bit too cartoony for what I'm looking for, but interesting to see none the less.
Love the map for Bloody April by GMT Games.
Those dashed lines are railroads?
RE: Favorite board/wargame map style
Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:31 am
by VPaulus
ORIGINAL: Lukas
Love the map for Bloody April by GMT Games.
Those dashed lines are railroads?
Yes. Double and single line railroads depending on the dash style.