Page 1 of 1
Is it possible to stop a battle in the middle and know the result ?
Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 10:45 pm
by CatLord
Hi all,
I am doing a PBEM battle; my friend thinks I have win already and would like to stop and begin a new one, because he think the remaining turns would probably be very boring for him (only a few Russian infantry here and there, whereas I still have 6 or 7 Panthers)
Fair enough, but how could we know the real result of the battle without playing all the remaining turns ?
He still have destroyed 2 Tigers out of 3, and other materials, so maybe it is just a minor victory or a Draw for him...
Any idea ?
Cat
Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 10:52 pm
by Jacc
Surrender? It was F9 or something... Look at the manual.
Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 11:03 pm
by CatLord
I'll test this,
thanks.
Cat
Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 11:20 pm
by Warhorse
Err, not a good idea, you could then see what was left, and what was killed, but the game result will be a DECISIVE LOSS for the man surrendering!!
Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 11:31 pm
by Supervisor
Warhorse is correct surrendering is only used to end a battle early for a specific reason giving DL to the culprit, there is no way the check the in game scoring status although this is one wish all SP gamers have wished for.
Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:11 am
by Redleg
The F9 surrender mode had to be fixed to yield a DV so that the gamesters wouldn't get ahead and then surrender. Geesh!
Anyway, pressing F9 does end the battle. It is best to negotiate a victory level and either end via F9 so you can see the end of battle reports or just quit.
Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 1:18 am
by rbrunsman
On that subject...
I've played two games where I played my turn and upon ending my turn the game ended many turns early with a DV to me. I've also played where my opponent surrendered and all I got in the file sent to me was the results screen. How does the game determine whether I get to play my turn and then end, or just end first? Is it a matter of who player #1 is? So that player #2 always gets to play his last half turn before the end?
I hope I didn't make that too confusing.
Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 2:11 am
by Redleg
There is a "formula" that the game watches for with respect to battles. It is something like:
If 2/3 of a force are suppressed, routed, killed and no v-hexes under control, the battle ends automatically. I have the exact formula around here somewhere but cannot put my hands on it right now.
In the course of playing a pbem type fight, it is extremely important to pay attention to the condition of your troops and to capture and hold some v-hexes. Some units need to be allowed to rest so that the ratio of "damaged" units is decreased. It is also important to withdraw really shot up units altogether. Don't sacrifice a squad that has only 2 or 3 guys left.
On the other hand, if the opposition senses victory is near, it is possible to really turn up the heat and force an early termination.
Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 7:20 am
by Supervisor
Thanks Red that was going to be my reponse but you saved me from looking up the forumla. I think you hit it right on the head.
Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:37 am
by rbrunsman
Thanks guys.
So it sounds like Catlord's opponent wasn't in such a bad situation as he thought if the computer didn't automatically terminate the game.
Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 3:28 pm
by CatLord
No he's not.
I have tried the F9 key (making a backup of the file somewhere), and although I cannot see his positions, in term of number of points it i scurrently a draw.
OTOH, he is still controlling most of the VP hex, but I think I have destroyed most of his APC.
We are still very eraly in the game (turn 7 out of 39, I think), so it is true the end of the game could be boring, me securing one VP area after another, leaving nfantry squad on guards, and progressing that way until the end... :rolleyes:
Cat
PS: That said, it could be dificult. I have not that much infantry left, and if there are SO partisans with molotov cocktails everywhere, that could be a real nightmare, me risking expensive tanks at every move !:eek:
Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:19 pm
by rbrunsman
Originally posted by CatLord
PS: That said, it could be dificult. I have not that much infantry left, and if there are SO partisans with molotov cocktails everywhere, that could be a real nightmare, me risking expensive tanks at every move !:eek:
If I had to choose between only tanks or only infantry, I would take the infantry almost every time. As long as there are woods or smoke, you will be very careful with your tanks whereas your opponent, with an equal point value of infantry, can afford to take chances. Nothing hurts more than losing a 180pt tank to a 35 pt squad. And, vice versa, nothing is quite as satisfying. I actually got a Tiger with a sniper once in PBEM.
I don't think your opponent is out of the game yet if he knows how to play it.