Page 1 of 1

Installation Error - Invalid REGKEY

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:08 pm
by outatime80
Hi everyone,

I recently went to re-install Distant World after replacing a hard drive. When I went to install I received an error at the end that stated: Invalid RegKey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds.

I've tried uninstalling, and clearing the registry, restart, and reinstall twice and still no luck. Any ideas?

Additional info attached. Thanks in advance!

RE: Installation Error - Invalid REGKEY

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:00 am
by Bingeling
Not apart from maybe trying a registry cleaner, or manually deleting every key in that Distant Worlds part of the registry.

Did you install windows from scratch? Over an old install?

RE: Installation Error - Invalid REGKEY

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:17 am
by Hrdina
I just saw a similar error.

I just bought a new computer (with windows 8.1), and had previously installed DW (up to Shadows) on my old machine with XP. I did not see this issue with XP. I used the same install files on the new machine as the old.

After I saw the REGKEY error, I continued and installed Shakturi, Legends, and Shadows. After that, the game seems to run fine, except:

1. It was version 1.9.0.6 instead of 1.9.0.13. I am almost certain that I did not have to patch my old install to get 1.9.0.13, and I am sure that was the version as my old saved games say so.

2. The start screen seems different (I would have to go back to my old PC to get the details). Also, I always have to go through the autorun executable, but on XP I had a shortcut directly to the game (Quick Start). I'm not sure what happened with that. Maybe windows 8.1 simply doesn't like it?

After I patched up to 1.9.0.13, my old saves loaded OK and the game runs great, so no problems there. [:D]