Page 1 of 1

US vs. France?

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2000 4:27 am
by pops
....the campaign that is...is this historical? I was aware of the British attack on French naval vessels to keep them out of German control, but I never heard of US vs. France in Moroco........

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2000 5:24 am
by Schrullenhaft
Part of the "Torch" landings in November (?), 1942. Most of the French troops put up little resistance, but there were others who held out doggedly. I can't recall if any of the fighting extended into Algeria or not; I think it did.

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2000 8:28 am
by Rhone
Operation Torch included at least 3 landing sites by American forces, and I believe British forces as well (but they don't teach us about those limey Britons in the U.S. Image ) and there were a grand total of 2000 casualties sustained so there was some battling going on.

It was a shock to me when I first found out about it as well. It's not a real popular topic having Americans and Frenchmen killing each other, but it wasn't (as pointed out earlier) a steadfast engagement, it was more a show to prove to the Axis that the French were still playing "their" game as a puppet government.

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 6:06 am
by Latka
Does anyone know of any online sources that talk about this battle? I'd like to learn more about it.

Thanks,
Andy

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 6:29 am
by silentsurfer
Latka, my friend, try these links for more info on operation torch
http://www.internet-esq.com/ussaugusta/torch/index.htm
http://hometown.aol.com/althist1/PODSept99/Torch.htm
http://members.aol.com/althist2/apr00/torch4.htm

These are not bad sites but I was hoping to find a little more. If its not what your looking for, go to the "metacrawler.com" search engine, I think its the best out there, and see what you come up with.

I hope the links work for you, if not just cut and paste into the address bar. Happy reading


Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 6:54 am
by Drex
I believe the British invaded Madegascar to kick the Vichy French out in order to establish a submarine base there. This would be a good idea for a scenario. WWII has a few out of the way battle areas that could be interesting-- the Ethiopian Theater was introduced just recently.

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 7:43 am
by Pillbox

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 8:30 am
by Latka
Whoa. Thanks guys! Image

-Andy