Page 1 of 2

Is there a cure for this

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:23 am
by MuguNiner
This happens on recon notifications:

Image

RE: Is there a cure for this

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:30 am
by JuanG
I have the same issue, so would be interesting to hear if there is a solution.

For reference I run windowed at 1440x900.

RE: Is there a cure for this

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:37 am
by Chris21wen
Ditto.

It seems to be a phantom combat window overlaying the map. It disappears quickly.

RE: Is there a cure for this

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:02 am
by Bullwinkle58
I've had it for years at higher rez. Lasts less than a second. A little annoying, but not a big deal to me. I'm happy a graphics engine this old runs on Win 7 at high rez at all.

RE: Is there a cure for this

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:46 am
by Lokasenna
I imagine it occurs because there are two "sections" to the graphical output of the game, to facilitate the combat overlay.

I notice it most if I am holding escape...it takes a second for the right side to catch up to the left.

RE: Is there a cure for this

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:28 pm
by tdpyle
I believe the cure may be a faster cpu processor. I was using an old Windows 7 computer with a slow (1.6 Ghz) cpu processor and got the "ghost window" frequently. Since upgrading to a new computer with a 2.9 Ghz processor, the problem has gone away.

RE: Is there a cure for this

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:32 pm
by Lokasenna
ORIGINAL: tdpyle

I believe the cure may be a faster cpu processor. I was using an old Windows 7 computer with a slow (1.6 Ghz) cpu processor and got the "ghost window" frequently. Since upgrading to a new computer with a 2.9 Ghz processor, the problem has gone away.

It definitely helps. I barely notice it on my home machine, but get it a lot more on my work machine.

RE: Is there a cure for this

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:39 pm
by Gaspote
ORIGINAL: tdpyle

I believe the cure may be a faster cpu processor. I was using an old Windows 7 computer with a slow (1.6 Ghz) cpu processor and got the "ghost window" frequently. Since upgrading to a new computer with a 2.9 Ghz processor, the problem has gone away.

I got this with 3.1 ghz. Probably Ati radeon graphic card, they always got trouble with game, I got some crash sometimes while checking embarked group too. I just deal with it.

RE: Is there a cure for this

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:26 pm
by tdpyle
You may be right. My previous computer had an AMD Radeon HD6310 integrated graphics chip on board. My current computer uses Intel HD graphics. However, I think I also encountered the problem on my backup computer which used an Ion graphics chip.

RE: Is there a cure for this

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:08 pm
by Lokasenna
I use Radeon HD 6850 and have no problems.

RE: Is there a cure for this

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:58 pm
by tdpyle
Hummmm? Are you using the -dd_sw switch in the command line. This speeds up the graphics processing I think.

RE: Is there a cure for this

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:02 pm
by tdpyle
Also, if you're now running in Windows 8, the processor speed seems more important than with earlier versions of Windows. I had to upgrade my computer to higher speed processor to get World in Flames to run satisfactorily in Windows 8.

RE: Is there a cure for this

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:41 pm
by MuguNiner
Bought the system last year, it is a screamer. However, as a programmer, I know that this issue can be fixed. Rolled out in a later update.

I have noticed this issue when, and only when, the event is a Recon Photo Op. It doesn't happen 100% of the time, but it is always a Recon Photo Op.

Thanks

Image

RE: Is there a cure for this

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:46 pm
by MuguNiner
Also, I have the -dd_sw switch in the command line. Video is NVidia GeForce GT 640.

RE: Is there a cure for this

Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:55 am
by littleike
ORIGINAL: Chris H

Ditto.

It seems to be a phantom combat window overlaying the map. It disappears quickly.

I agree.

It seems to me that the anomaly could not be related with processor speed but with some sort
of program schedule. It seems that the windows display that show combat will be started sometime before verifying if there is something to display, but only who own the code can see if this supposition is right or not.


RE: Is there a cure for this

Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:32 am
by HansBolter
ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

I've had it for years at higher rez. Lasts less than a second. A little annoying, but not a big deal to me. I'm happy a graphics engine this old runs on Win 7 at high rez at all.

I'm limping along on an old spare right now running 1024x768 and it still happens.

RE: Is there a cure for this

Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:58 pm
by MuguNiner
Ok, forgive me for my continued rant. A correction to my statement above that it is only recon photo ops. In my last two turns the recon photo ops had the problem eight times, while the event "... sighted over ..." had the problem twenty nine times. no other event generated the issue.

RE: Is there a cure for this

Posted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:21 am
by michaelm75au
The recon events are happening faster than the graphic thread can keep up with the map overlay changes.

RE: Is there a cure for this

Posted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:26 am
by afspret
I've had the same problem since I bought a new Windows 8 PC last year & it has an AMD Radeon graphics card (my old system ran Vista with an NiVidia graphics card) as well. Is there a simple fix or is it one of those annoying glitches we're going to be stuck with?

I've had to play in Windows mode since going to Windows 8, 'cause none of the recommended fixes worked for me, and I've always thought this glitch was a possible side affect of that. Are people having this problem playing in Windows mode or does it crop up in "normal" mode?

RE: Is there a cure for this

Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:27 pm
by tdpyle
Run the -deepColor switch in the command line. This cured the scrolling/messaging delay. It may also cure the phantom overlay problem.