Page 1 of 3

Ok forget what you "like" what are you actually playing?

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 8:01 pm
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Hmm we have seen a lot of threads discussing our likes and dislikes, but hmmm when it comes to the proof of the pudding eh, what are you actually playing?

When I say actually playing, if its been more than a full year (365 days), you are NOT playing that game.

This is open to non computer and even non traditional wargames, or even not even close to being wargames as well.

I spent the 90's intensely playing Magic the Gathering for instance. I no longer play it, so it is not open for comment.

I have not had a game of Advanced Third Reich in a year, so in spite of it being a favourite, I won't include it.

I have played ASL a few times though. So it qualifies.

I play Steel Panthers more often than not for my wargame fix on the computer.

I have played Sudden Strike a few times (even if only to check it out).

I play Heroes of Might and Magic IV (just bought The Gathering Storm Exapansion, making the home troops here happy too).

I play Civilization III but I am not expecting to rush out for the Play the World expansion (they lost the chance to get it to me when it was omitted in the original design, besides I don't expect to play online enough to spend that sort of cash).

I play currently Axis and Allies Pacific against locals (very safe purchase, excellent product).

I play Worms World Party (man that game is funny).

I have played Age of Wonders and Alpha Centauri enough to get on the list.

I have played Panzer General and Allied General and Panzer General II as exploratory games this year (yes I did not have these games when they were released originally).

I have played the demos for Combat Mission, and Strategic Command. Both failed to interest me though. No sale there.

I have played the demo for World In Flames (and it sucked as far as interface goes, definitely no sale).

Played the Steel Beasts demo, it looked good.

Played the Panzer Elite demo. It looked good, but the software is so lousy, so who cares what it looks like if it won't run reliably.
I just hope they have decided to work harder on Panzer Claws, or it will look good too, and suck as software.

Played the Ardennes Offensive, it looked really good, but at the time I was having trouble getting it to run (not sure why, might revisit it).

Played Tthe General. Looks like this game needs a manual....bad.

Played exploratory games of Pacific General, Peoples General and Fantasy General of the Panzer General genesis of games.
Pacific General is for naval nuts, and fun looking.
Peoples General will appeal to modern nuts, and is fun.
Fantasy General, is a nice way to escape the world of tanks, and have the same sort of fun, but with different looking icons heheh.

So that is where I have been active.

What about you guys?

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 9:14 pm
by nelmsm1
Well currently I am playing all the Talonsoft Battleground and HPS Civil War and Napoleonic titles as I am in the American Civil War Game Club and the Napoleonic Game Club. Really enjoy the games and the interactions of the club. Playing a lot of SP:WAW. Getting back into The Operational Art of War: COW. For something different I go to Europa Universalis or Civilization II. Don't know that I will cough up the cash for the newer version of these latter two as I just don't play them enough and there are still too many wargames out there that I want. Downloaded one of the Close Combat demos the other night and have just started fooling around with it.

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 10:02 pm
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Civ 2 is a good program. It gives you a scifi as well as a fantasy setting.

I DO highly recommend Civ 3 though. It takes all the best of the Call to Power look and offers the same game quality of the Civ experience as well.

It is definitely a safe purchase.

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:05 pm
by USSAmerica
Les I have to agree with you about Civ 3. It was all I played on the computer from last November until about June of this year.

Since June, I have played another PacWar:TME campaign and recently purchased and am starting to learn UV. Also, despite my dislike for RT clickfests, I have played Age of Empires 2. It's fun to play over the home network with the kids. I explored Pacific General, and it looks fun, but I probably won't spend any more time playing it.

I have also installed SP:WAW, and it looks great, but UV is taking all of my "learn a new game" energy right now. I expect UV will keep me busy, along with an occasional game of Civ 3, until the grand daddy hits the streets: War in the Pacific.

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:30 pm
by scimitar
What I'm actually playing:

1) computer games:
-Empire Deluxe (PBEM and solo game) - Yes, that old stuff, Windows version (one of the first Windows games I think). Simple, funny, attractive)
- Flight Commander II (PBEM)
- SPWAW (MCLV, and H2H)
- Mahjong

2) Other games:
- Blood Bowl
- Warhammer 40.000
- Formula Dice
- Actually learning the rules of boardgame Canvas Falcons (WWI aerial combat game) to be involved as a playtester of the game (played on a MSN group via the support of Cyberboard)

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 12:14 am
by challenge
Of course, SpWaW, but also Medieval Total War (I have the Shogun version as well, but put that aside for a while), Patrician II, and dash of Civ III and a pinch of MOO2 while waiting for MOO3. Then ther's the table top role playing gam Shadowrun.

Almost forgot, I have a Gettysburg battle I'm two-thirds of the way through where the Rebs (My side) are winning.

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 12:42 am
by Frank W.
after long time i installed "blade runner" again. one of the graetest games (+movies) of all times....

besides i have installed steel panther WAW + MOHAA.

no more time for more games :(

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:50 am
by CCB
At the moment I'm only playing Close Combat 5: Invasion Normandy.

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 4:42 am
by NaKATPase
Games of the year for the past year eh??
(remember, these are just the favorites)

Computer wise...

Starcraft (impossible to avoid)
Day of Defeat (wwii halflife mod -- better than MoH:AA in many ways.)
SPWAW (seems I wasn't able to finish a pbem game all summer though... started a bunch, but never got to the last turn :()
Warcraft 3 (not as good as SC, but it's the direction the crowd is going.)


Board wise...

Guerilla (AH title, multiplayer card game... great fun for novices!)
History of the World (AH, great multiplayer fun)
Mustangs (AH, air to air ww2 combat... great for running mini-campaigns)
Breakout Normandy (AH, Perfect for beating the roomate ;))

Tabletop wise...

Sword and the Flame (late 19th century imperialism, British vs zulus or mahdists, and/or FFL vs Berbers, with some germans thrown into the mix for good measure)
Crossfire (company/battalion level wwii infantry actions... great system with no tape measures and no set turn sequence... sounds crazy I know, but it actually rewards historical tactics)
Fusilier (Tactical Napoleonics rules that actually capture the ability of l'ordre mixte to defeat the continetals but still fail against the british in the peninsula)

Don't know what I'm going to do next year when I don't have a dorm full of people to turn into opponents ;)

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 6:40 am
by Brigz
I play Advanced Squad Leader at least once a week against a live opponent. Usually about three or four hours per session. We take our time and play very methodically so it takes us a few sittings to get through the average scenario.

While I haven't actually been "playing" my computer games I have been spending a lot of time making new maps and battles for HPS's Campaign Corinth and Campaign Eckmuhl. I have as much fun (sometimes more) making new stuff than actually playing the games. I've spent the last month just converting the Napoleon In Russian Project's library of Talonsoft battles over to the newer Campaign Eckmuhl engine. Lot's of fun and I expect it will keep me busy for months to come. (I really get my money's worth out of a game.) And I'm learning a lot about Napoleonic uniforms.

But some day I hope to play some email games if I can ever find the time.

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 6:42 am
by Brigz
Originally posted by nelmsm
Well currently I am playing all the Talonsoft Battleground and HPS Civil War and Napoleonic titles as I am in the American Civil War Game Club and the Napoleonic Game Club.
One of these days I'm going to join an ACW game club. Sure looks like a lot of fun.

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:00 am
by Jim1954
SPWAW , Russo-German War 41-44, and IL-2 Sturmovik are pretty much taking all of my discretionary time right now.

What's on my HD right now...

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:58 am
by KG Erwin
...is SPWaW, Frank Hunter's ACW, Ensemble's Age of Mythology, and TAO2. I've played the first three off & on. ACW (ver 2.62 is available now for 1024x768), has fixed the earlier bugs and is a very challenging game if you play as the South. AoM is, well, pretty and VERY challenging. The single player campaign is playable, but also very tough, even at the moderate setting. Nevertheless, I can only dream of a 3D multi-camera view of a SPWaW battlefield. Too bad.

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:36 pm
by AlBW
Playing Modern Campaign: Fulda 85 and SPWAW.

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 9:05 pm
by nelmsm1
Originally posted by Dave Briggs


One of these days I'm going to join an ACW game club. Sure looks like a lot of fun.
If you like to do a little role playing it is a lot of fun. It is what got me started playing PBEM. :)

Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:17 am
by rockymtndoc
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, and waiting for sequel due out this month.

IronStorm.

Waiting to see if Panzer Claws is any good, based on it's JoWood lineage.

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 2:31 am
by AlvinS
As far as computer games I have been playing SPWAW, Uncommon Valor, Talonsoft East Front II and West Front, and Operational Art of War.

As far as board games are concerned I have been playing The American Civil War by Victory Games (Excellent), France 1944 By Victory Games, and SOPAC by Avalanche Press (A good Game if you are currently playing Uncommon Valor on the computer).

The classics like Risk and Axis and Allies are also on the menu.

Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 10:40 am
by brent_2
on the comp...

Medieval TW, Close Combat 3 and 5, Operation Flashpoint.

board games?

Snakes and Ladders, Candyland hahaha - just that time of life I guess :)

Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 5:47 pm
by Kraut
SPWAW


Call to Power II

Space Empires IV


Settlers III

Empire Earth (RT, but fun, you can slow down enough to make it playable as strategy)

Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 9:16 pm
by rockymtndoc
Just finished Medal of Honr: Spearhead.