Page 1 of 1
Way of Darkness
Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:57 am
by NewZodiac
Hey guys. I was wondering how exactly you get this form of government? I managed to get Way of the Ancients (still not sure how...) for humans.
Which also gave me a few questions: Can all the races use Way of the Ancients/Darkness, or is it just for a few? How do you unlock these government types? Once you get them in a match, can you use them in a custom game?
RE: Way of Darkness
Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:02 pm
by Bingeling
Depending on setup, I think they are found in ruins.
RE: Way of Darkness
Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:10 pm
by Erik Rutins
Hi NewZodiac,
As long as you have the original Distant Worlds storyline turned on, these ancient government types can be discovered in two specific locations. Exploring those locations triggers the discovery. Once you find them, any faction can use them. Any custom game can have access to these if you have the Distant Worlds storyline turned on.
Regards,
- Erik
RE: Way of Darkness
Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:36 pm
by Darkspire
Any custom game can have access to these if you have the Distant Worlds storyline turned on.
So they are no longer available in a custom game unless you turn on story events??
Darkspire
RE: Way of Darkness
Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:50 pm
by Raap
Well, they are found in ruins directly related to the original DW storyline, so no. There'd be nowhere to acquire them.
RE: Way of Darkness
Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:53 pm
by Mad Igor
no,you can't get them without enabling story and not searching them by normal(ruins) means.
RE: Way of Darkness
Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:32 pm
by Darkspire
They were available in Shadows with the storyline off. I even went to the trouble of getting new race file options added in testing that would allow a player to choose whether or not have them available, so that was kind of pointless if that is the case.
Color me unimpressed and somewhat annoyed, I will just add that to the many things that have been changed and not for the better either if this does turn out to be fact.
Darkspire
RE: Way of Darkness
Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:37 pm
by NewZodiac
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
Hi NewZodiac,
As long as you have the original Distant Worlds storyline turned on, these ancient government types can be discovered in two specific locations. Exploring those locations triggers the discovery. Once you find them, any faction can use them. Any custom game can have access to these if you have the Distant Worlds storyline turned on.
Regards,
- Erik
When I'm making a custom game, and I select the Zenox race for example, it doesn't give me the option to select Way of the Ancients, but I get that option for Humans. How do I make it so I can use this type of government for all races?
RE: Way of Darkness
Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:50 pm
by Darkspire
When I'm making a custom game, and I select the Zenox race for example, it doesn't give me the option to select Way of the Ancients, but I get that option for Humans. How do I make it so I can use this type of government for all races?
By creating a custom theme and editing the race files and government files.
Darkspire
RE: Way of Darkness
Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:56 pm
by NewZodiac
ORIGINAL: Darkspire
When I'm making a custom game, and I select the Zenox race for example, it doesn't give me the option to select Way of the Ancients, but I get that option for Humans. How do I make it so I can use this type of government for all races?
By creating a custom theme and editing the race files and government files.
Darkspire
Ah, I see. Well, that's more complicated than I was hoping.
I have an unrelated question... if I build multiple research stations, let's say at my home planet, will they stack? And do research stations only do something if there is an indicated bonus to that research? The planet doesn't say that it gives a bonus to weapons research, but I built a station there anyway. Did I waste my money?
RE: Way of Darkness
Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:21 pm
by Darkspire
Have a read in the manual from page 89 onwards, that explains the theory in good detail.
Darkspire
RE: Way of Darkness
Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:25 pm
by elanaagain
I find Eric's comment about the two government types interesting. Upon being discovered, any faction can use them. Does this mean the newly discovered government type is now available to all factions? or to whatever faction discovers the ruin? Used to be the latter. Is changed in Universe?
RE: Way of Darkness
Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:26 pm
by Raap
ORIGINAL: Darkspire
They were available in Shadows with the storyline off. I even went to the trouble of getting new race file options added in testing that would allow a player to choose whether or not have them available, so that was kind of pointless if that is the case.
Color me unimpressed and somewhat annoyed, I will just add that to the many things that have been changed and not for the better either if this does turn out to be fact.
Darkspire
Is it possible they are available through 'random' ruins as well as the storyline ruins/debris? I so rarely play with storyline off that I can't say for sure.
ORIGINAL: elanaagain
I find Eric's comment about the two government types interesting. Upon being discovered, any faction can use them. Does this mean the newly discovered government type is now available to all factions? or to whatever faction discovers the ruin? Used to be the latter. Is changed in Universe?
Think he just meant 'any faction that finds them can use them'.
RE: Way of Darkness
Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:33 pm
by Mad Igor
Ah, I see. Well, that's more complicated than I was hoping.
create a folder and put race txt file with enabled gov. type is rly hard

research station work as a space port,but without it's building capabilities.
you can just build space port at research bonus places.
research bonuses don't stack. highest bonus will apply empire wide.
there is no real diff. between ports and res. stations because both can carry research labs.
maybe scentist will work only at res. stations,can't remember if true.
RE: Way of Darkness
Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:15 pm
by Erik Rutins
ORIGINAL: Darkspire
They were available in Shadows with the storyline off. I even went to the trouble of getting new race file options added in testing that would allow a player to choose whether or not have them available, so that was kind of pointless if that is the case.
Nothing changed with these from Shadows, so if they were available previously without the storyline, then it's simply my bad memory at fault.
Color me unimpressed and somewhat annoyed, I will just add that to the many things that have been changed and not for the better either if this does turn out to be fact.
Any specifics on these many things?
Regards,
- Erik