Page 1 of 1

B-17E "Swamp Ghost" Restoration (OT)

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:58 pm
by Paladin1dcs
Thought you guys would find this interesting. I'm amazed at the shape that this B-17 is in, considering that it's sat in a swamp for almost 70 years.

https://twitter.com/PacificAviation/sta ... 2608967681

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Swamp ... Harbor.jpg

RE: B-17E "Swamp Ghost" Restoration (OT)

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:44 am
by John 3rd
COOL! Do they plan to get it flying?

RE: B-17E "Swamp Ghost" Restoration (OT)

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:21 am
by Sardaukar
Swamp is actually excellent environment for preservation. Some of the tanks pulled out from swamp in Russia/Baltics are in great (relatively) condition for restoration.

RE: B-17E "Swamp Ghost" Restoration (OT)

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:49 am
by Paladin1dcs
ORIGINAL: John 3rd

COOL! Do they plan to get it flying?

I'm not sure, but even if they leave it in the condition that it's in now, it's still an amazing find. I especially love the fact that it has the original pre-war National insignia on the fuselage.

RE: B-17E "Swamp Ghost" Restoration (OT)

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:58 am
by Paladin1dcs
ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

Swamp is actually excellent environment for preservation. Some of the tanks pulled out from swamp in Russia/Baltics are in great (relatively) condition for restoration.

I had seen some references to that before, but I wasn't sure if those were the same types of swamp as what this aircraft came down in, since swamps in Europe tend to have a higher amount of peat in them, which reduces the oxygen content and promotes preservation.

Either way, I'm just glad that they finally got this aircraft back to America where they can begin the preservation process in earnest.

RE: B-17E "Swamp Ghost" Restoration (OT)

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:49 pm
by btd64
ORIGINAL: Paladin1dcs

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

COOL! Do they plan to get it flying?

I'm not sure, but even if they leave it in the condition that it's in now, it's still an amazing find. I especially love the fact that it has the original pre-war National insignia on the fuselage.

I read somewhere that they are going to "restore" the B-17. No mention if that means into flying condition. Back in 2001 I was walking to my car to go to lunch and I heard engine noise that was getting louder. I looked up and a B-17 flew over head. About 1000' up. Beautiful. GP

RE: B-17E "Swamp Ghost" Restoration (OT)

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:39 pm
by jcjordan
From what I've read they've only planned for it to be static museum piece. It takes a good chunk of change to get one to flying status & I'm not sure there's enough of that these days nor available parts to do that.

RE: B-17E "Swamp Ghost" Restoration (OT)

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:58 am
by LeeChard
Where was it found?

RE: B-17E "Swamp Ghost" Restoration (OT)

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:09 am
by drw61
In New Guinea, Here is the web site.
http://www.theswampghost.com/index.html
ORIGINAL: Ranger5355

Where was it found?