Observations
Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:49 pm
I am rather new to Distant Worlds, having heard about the game only a few months ago and deciding to wait until Universe (and the subsequent price drop for the game + all expansions) in order to get my hands on the game. I was rather skeptical, at first, given the state of the 4X genre.
Probably the first thing that hit me was the lack of DRM. I simply purchased the game (digital edition), clicked the download link it gave me, then entered in the CD Key. It was extremely nostalgic, in a good way, it reminded me a lot of how simple things used to be in the 90s. As good as Steam is, it is still an online service with all the pros and cons that come with the territory (this is also why I purchased directly from MatrixGames).
Now, I have played about halfway through an empire game, and halfway through a single pirate game. My impression is that it is probably the best recent Space 4X game I have played, I have genuinely had fun. There were some observations, issues, and bugs, which I will note below.
- The AI is wishy-washy
I noticed that, more often then not, the AI seems like it cannot decide weither it wants to do something, or not. Trade Embargos is a big one
- Planetkillers be gone!
While I did enjoy Space Empire V's great degress of space manipulation, one of the big benefits is that it was possible to undo something catastrophic, much as it was possible to blow up planets and even entire stars, it was also possible to piece them back together. This is absent in Distant Worlds, and while you can avoid some of the planetkiller madness by turning off the Shakturi storyline, there are still random planetkillers spawned. Would be nice if it were possible to turn those off like the Giant Kaltors
- Apathetic Fleet AI
It seems like the primary defensive strategy is to have the entire fleet divided peacemeal across the empire, while sending small fleets into enemy space. The Fleet AI has a bad habit of ignoring everything that happens outside of the system its stationed in, and results in enemy invasions being virtually unopposed because the AI could not will itself to send reinforcements. Note that this apathy also extends to the AI, which makes it rather easy to invade other empires provided you have a big/strong enough fleet
Would be nice if we could automate some fleet aspects while retaining manual control over others, for example, automate defense while manually controlling attacking fleets, which would make it a lot easier without having to constantly mouse across the galaxy every few minutes
- Salvaging
AI Exploration ships should probably make some attempt to investigate derelict ships. It seems like most of the derelict ships I found were either through the ship being near something else the ship was investigating (usually a planet or asteroid), or just so happen to be looking in the system when I see one. Should also be some kind of notification if it finds a damaged derelict as well
Salvaged ships are pretty awesome, although I find it is usually better to scrap the smaller ones since the tech bonus is worth more than the ships themselves
- Planetary Development Bonuses
It seems like there an issue with development bonuses. The development bonus from wonders will overwrite the development bonus from ruins and the development bonus of multiple wonders does not stack with eachother or the ruins. This might be intentional, but it should probably be stated somewhere, as your first instinct is likely going to be to stack wonders on your capital planet for amazing bonuses
- Colony Tax AI
An option to have it only tax colonies that are at maximum population or close to it (maybe 95% of population cap or higher?) would be nice
- Races
Some races seem to have better bonuses than others. This could be intentional or not, so I am not really going to expand on this unless asked. However, some of the other decisions made seem to be odd
Zenox, despite described as a feline race, is placed into the 'Rodent' racial group, there are other such oddities as well. Perhaps it would be better to divide the races differently? Or at least, rename the rodent racial group to something that would cause less confusion. Maybe 'Mammalian'?
Even discounting balance, some of the races do not seem to have any interesting bonuses, Atuuks, for example, while others seem to have bonuses that are not quite in line with the racial description, such as Zenox (not quite sure where that natural optimist bonus comes from)
Also, it has been often repeated on this forum, but it would be nice if it were possible to set policies for individual races instead of racial groups
- Galaxy Types
I really like the 'Variable cluster' galaxy type, but I feel that the density of stars in the 'empty' regions is perhaps a bit too low, as it could eventually run into problems with colonization range. Also, the spawning should be tweaked so that all races spawn in a cluster, as, generally, it is possible for empires to spawn in the 'empty space' with few stars which is a death sentence for that empire
- Components
It would be nice if components told you which ones had stacking bonuses, and which ones do not. While a careful eye could notice this, due to the laundry list of stats that are given to you, it might not be as obvious to other people
- Pirate Diplomacy, or lack therof
There really is not much you can do with pirates, diplomatically. By design it seems like the game is pushing you to exterminate pirates at all costs, while pirates futilly attempt to stop their influence and strength shrinking. Aside from protection agreements and missions there is no way to interact at all
Maybe some kind of empire-pirate alliance would be doable?
As an empire, I wanted to keep one pirate clan around. The benefits are certainly there, the empire gets a powerful 'private' army that can patrol supply lines, raid enemies the empire is at war with, smuggle resources to and from, and set up far-flung outposts and mining operations. As a pirate, entering such an agreement might be desirable as a survival mechanism, a safe source of income and a fallback point. There would be disadvantages on both sides, as well, Empires would have to deal with increased corruption due to the proliferation of pirate bases/fortresses, while the Pirate would lose some of its soverignty, being unable to go after allies/vassals of the empire
- Criminal Network
Maybe a tad too easy to get? I mean, the advantages of getting an entire planet are enormous for a pirate, considering that the pirates biggest weakness is lack of steady income
- Pirate Income
I noticed that, for the most part, protection agreements with empires generally netted pitiful amounts of money, and were very unreliable as empires usually loved cancelling them, the only reason they were even desirable at all is that it would enable you to wander around the empire's space without being attacked
Defense missions from AI colonies are far too overpowered early game. There is absolutly no threat to those colonies early game so you never have to send any ships to defend them, and the amounts of money they pay are enormous, up to 30,000 a mission. They are an excellent source of initial startup capital
Smuggling, Trade, and Tourism is about where it should be
- Pirate/Pirate Diplomacy is simple
I have had a few oddities where a pirate cancelled a truce, attacked a few of my mining bases, then was smashed and lost all of their stations to my counterattacks, yet, due to the 'You attacked me!' negative modifier, they are never willing to sign a truce and are willing to fight to the bitter end. Pirates whom got hammered should be more willing to sign truces so that they could lick their wounds
- Bugs with Pirate Planet and System Control
Pirates cannot build normal planetary structures on owned colonies unless it goes into the colonization screen. The button is there but clicking on it does nothing
Pirate Automation will not build troops under any circumstances, even if the empire settings are changed
Pirate AI will not levy taxes on colonies it owns. Unlike Troop AI, changing the empire settings does work here but the default AI will be hamstrung a bit
While Pirates can happily disrespect empire system ownership to build where they want, empires cannot disrespect pirate soverignty in regards to pirate owned systems
Pirate-built wonders do not count towards the wonder cap. I built a Boskara highspeed shipyard as a pirate and roughly a few years later an empire started building a highspeed shipyard of its own, even though I still had mine
Pirates should be able to explore ruins on planets that they own
The Galaxy Editor does not properly edit pirates. It removes the 'pirate flag' overlay in the upper left hand corner, and editing the pirate flag does not update the pirate flag shown in the galaxy map.
As an empire, I found a ruin that triggered a pirate attack. The pirate ship that spawned came from a pirate clan I had a protection agreement, even though there was only one pirate I had a protection agreement with and there were numerous other pirates in the game without such protection agreements
Probably the first thing that hit me was the lack of DRM. I simply purchased the game (digital edition), clicked the download link it gave me, then entered in the CD Key. It was extremely nostalgic, in a good way, it reminded me a lot of how simple things used to be in the 90s. As good as Steam is, it is still an online service with all the pros and cons that come with the territory (this is also why I purchased directly from MatrixGames).
Now, I have played about halfway through an empire game, and halfway through a single pirate game. My impression is that it is probably the best recent Space 4X game I have played, I have genuinely had fun. There were some observations, issues, and bugs, which I will note below.
- The AI is wishy-washy
I noticed that, more often then not, the AI seems like it cannot decide weither it wants to do something, or not. Trade Embargos is a big one
- Planetkillers be gone!
While I did enjoy Space Empire V's great degress of space manipulation, one of the big benefits is that it was possible to undo something catastrophic, much as it was possible to blow up planets and even entire stars, it was also possible to piece them back together. This is absent in Distant Worlds, and while you can avoid some of the planetkiller madness by turning off the Shakturi storyline, there are still random planetkillers spawned. Would be nice if it were possible to turn those off like the Giant Kaltors
- Apathetic Fleet AI
It seems like the primary defensive strategy is to have the entire fleet divided peacemeal across the empire, while sending small fleets into enemy space. The Fleet AI has a bad habit of ignoring everything that happens outside of the system its stationed in, and results in enemy invasions being virtually unopposed because the AI could not will itself to send reinforcements. Note that this apathy also extends to the AI, which makes it rather easy to invade other empires provided you have a big/strong enough fleet
Would be nice if we could automate some fleet aspects while retaining manual control over others, for example, automate defense while manually controlling attacking fleets, which would make it a lot easier without having to constantly mouse across the galaxy every few minutes
- Salvaging
AI Exploration ships should probably make some attempt to investigate derelict ships. It seems like most of the derelict ships I found were either through the ship being near something else the ship was investigating (usually a planet or asteroid), or just so happen to be looking in the system when I see one. Should also be some kind of notification if it finds a damaged derelict as well
Salvaged ships are pretty awesome, although I find it is usually better to scrap the smaller ones since the tech bonus is worth more than the ships themselves
- Planetary Development Bonuses
It seems like there an issue with development bonuses. The development bonus from wonders will overwrite the development bonus from ruins and the development bonus of multiple wonders does not stack with eachother or the ruins. This might be intentional, but it should probably be stated somewhere, as your first instinct is likely going to be to stack wonders on your capital planet for amazing bonuses
- Colony Tax AI
An option to have it only tax colonies that are at maximum population or close to it (maybe 95% of population cap or higher?) would be nice
- Races
Some races seem to have better bonuses than others. This could be intentional or not, so I am not really going to expand on this unless asked. However, some of the other decisions made seem to be odd
Zenox, despite described as a feline race, is placed into the 'Rodent' racial group, there are other such oddities as well. Perhaps it would be better to divide the races differently? Or at least, rename the rodent racial group to something that would cause less confusion. Maybe 'Mammalian'?
Even discounting balance, some of the races do not seem to have any interesting bonuses, Atuuks, for example, while others seem to have bonuses that are not quite in line with the racial description, such as Zenox (not quite sure where that natural optimist bonus comes from)
Also, it has been often repeated on this forum, but it would be nice if it were possible to set policies for individual races instead of racial groups
- Galaxy Types
I really like the 'Variable cluster' galaxy type, but I feel that the density of stars in the 'empty' regions is perhaps a bit too low, as it could eventually run into problems with colonization range. Also, the spawning should be tweaked so that all races spawn in a cluster, as, generally, it is possible for empires to spawn in the 'empty space' with few stars which is a death sentence for that empire
- Components
It would be nice if components told you which ones had stacking bonuses, and which ones do not. While a careful eye could notice this, due to the laundry list of stats that are given to you, it might not be as obvious to other people
- Pirate Diplomacy, or lack therof
There really is not much you can do with pirates, diplomatically. By design it seems like the game is pushing you to exterminate pirates at all costs, while pirates futilly attempt to stop their influence and strength shrinking. Aside from protection agreements and missions there is no way to interact at all
Maybe some kind of empire-pirate alliance would be doable?
As an empire, I wanted to keep one pirate clan around. The benefits are certainly there, the empire gets a powerful 'private' army that can patrol supply lines, raid enemies the empire is at war with, smuggle resources to and from, and set up far-flung outposts and mining operations. As a pirate, entering such an agreement might be desirable as a survival mechanism, a safe source of income and a fallback point. There would be disadvantages on both sides, as well, Empires would have to deal with increased corruption due to the proliferation of pirate bases/fortresses, while the Pirate would lose some of its soverignty, being unable to go after allies/vassals of the empire
- Criminal Network
Maybe a tad too easy to get? I mean, the advantages of getting an entire planet are enormous for a pirate, considering that the pirates biggest weakness is lack of steady income
- Pirate Income
I noticed that, for the most part, protection agreements with empires generally netted pitiful amounts of money, and were very unreliable as empires usually loved cancelling them, the only reason they were even desirable at all is that it would enable you to wander around the empire's space without being attacked
Defense missions from AI colonies are far too overpowered early game. There is absolutly no threat to those colonies early game so you never have to send any ships to defend them, and the amounts of money they pay are enormous, up to 30,000 a mission. They are an excellent source of initial startup capital
Smuggling, Trade, and Tourism is about where it should be
- Pirate/Pirate Diplomacy is simple
I have had a few oddities where a pirate cancelled a truce, attacked a few of my mining bases, then was smashed and lost all of their stations to my counterattacks, yet, due to the 'You attacked me!' negative modifier, they are never willing to sign a truce and are willing to fight to the bitter end. Pirates whom got hammered should be more willing to sign truces so that they could lick their wounds
- Bugs with Pirate Planet and System Control
Pirates cannot build normal planetary structures on owned colonies unless it goes into the colonization screen. The button is there but clicking on it does nothing
Pirate Automation will not build troops under any circumstances, even if the empire settings are changed
Pirate AI will not levy taxes on colonies it owns. Unlike Troop AI, changing the empire settings does work here but the default AI will be hamstrung a bit
While Pirates can happily disrespect empire system ownership to build where they want, empires cannot disrespect pirate soverignty in regards to pirate owned systems
Pirate-built wonders do not count towards the wonder cap. I built a Boskara highspeed shipyard as a pirate and roughly a few years later an empire started building a highspeed shipyard of its own, even though I still had mine
Pirates should be able to explore ruins on planets that they own
The Galaxy Editor does not properly edit pirates. It removes the 'pirate flag' overlay in the upper left hand corner, and editing the pirate flag does not update the pirate flag shown in the galaxy map.
As an empire, I found a ruin that triggered a pirate attack. The pirate ship that spawned came from a pirate clan I had a protection agreement, even though there was only one pirate I had a protection agreement with and there were numerous other pirates in the game without such protection agreements